2. replace transmission (2 reports)
1999 Mitsubishi Galant transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Mitsubishi Galant:

1999 Mitsubishi Galant Owner Comments

Jan 022014

Galant ES 2.4L

This is my car's 3rd transmission. Luckily, they're cheap at my local junk yard (250-300) . It took my brother in law and me 11 hours to pull out the old one and install the new one. I don't know why the transmissions are so weak or if the previous owners never changed the fluid (every 30k) . I'm planning on staying on top of it.

- , Salem, OR, USA

Sep 302010

Galant 4 cyl

Had a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant DE with a newer 2002 engine with only 28K miles put on it. Bought the car used, one owner, nice little sedan though it felt a little "light" it had nice lines. Started just quitting while driving. Also had gear shift problems and found out the two are correlated. When you tried to put it into gear it just would not move etc.. the mechanic recommended a transmission replacement since even though its looked to be a shifter problem he said I should just replace the transmission anyway. So did that and the shifting problem was still there!!!! It did not happen as much mind you but it still happened occasionally. The mechanic said if I shifted the gear to neutral and then back again in the gear I wanted it would usually fix the problem sort of like jiggling the shifter to get it to catch. What a joke. Mitsubishi clearly has a design flaw with their automatic transmission shifter mechanism on the 99 Galant. Not sure about the other years.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 222010

Galant ES 2.4L

stopped working in the intersection.. would really love a solution

- , Magna, UT, USA

May 012009

Galant ES 2.4L

I am not one to ever ignore oil changes, tune ups, etc...have not had any problems with this car up until today when it just completely decided to not accelerate. Car will turn on with no problem, everything works just fine except for the small detail of actually being able to drive. When I hit on the gas the RPMs rev up but car sits still...I drained the transmission fluid and added more hoping this would solve my dilemma but did not!!

PLEASE any suggestions are welcome other than need a new transmission, as a new transmission would cost more than the car is worth!!

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA