2001 Mitsubishi Galant engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mitsubishi Galant:

2001 Mitsubishi Galant Owner Comments

Feb 072013

Galant 6-cyl

As of appx 8 months ago, vehicle has bucked on startup. It jumps out, and then stops. Car in forward or reverse jolts out but this is an intermittent occurrence. Yesterday, best describes problem, as I approached red light and put foot on accelerator and car jumped out 3 or 4 times before actually moving forward....this happened for the whole length of my trip...necessitating having to put my hazard lights on so I would not be hit from behind. Repeated trips to reputable mechanic and transmission garage are not able to diagnose problem. Transmission oil and filter and cleaning of solenoids has been done.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 172008

The contact owns a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant. While driving 65-70 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut down without warning. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop and the cause of the failure was diagnosed as the crankshaft position sensor. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 00V299001 (engine and engine cooling:engine). The vehicle will be repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 022008

My car kept stalling so I brought it to my mechanic who put it on diagnostic machine and diagnostic machine said crankshaft harness was no good he then looked into recalls for 2001 Mitsubishi cars and my car was recalled and he told me to bring it to a Mitsubishi dealer because they issued the recall for the same problem crankshaft harness the dealer called me and told me infact that was the problem and that my car was not part of the recall and it would cost $960 to fix.

- Deltona, FL, USA