2002 Mitsubishi Galant electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant:

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Owner Comments

Dec 202007

Galant 4-cyl

Two weeks ago our cars" passenger front panel started to smoke within a few minutes the engine was started. At the time it happened we did not know where the smoke was coming from. When I went to get closer to the smoke it was the panel where the window and door buttons are. The security guard in our building had a flashlight and saw the top part of the panel was melting, he was able to lift the melting plastic and inside the door the smoke and flames were. The fire extinguished and we pulled the fuse. Now we have no power windows on all so we are driving without the ability of opening the windows. Thank god we were not on the highway when it started. I called Mitsubishi and they told me there were no recalls for this problem yet on your site there were two others with the same problem. Since it?S passed the warranty time they are not responsible to pay for the damages. I do understand the insurance company will pay for it but since I have a deductible of $500 I must pay for it. Mitsubishi customer service said if the insurance company finds the piece to be a defect, they would need to put in a claim for it. I don?T understand why a car of only 5 years old had this problem. I also have other problems to mention since when I looked at this site I too have a problem with clicking sound when I put on the heater. Sometimes the heater doesn"T work. This could have been a tragic situation. Does someone have to die for these problems to get fixed. I am now worry since I also have another car the same make, model and year. Please inform me what else I need to do to solve this problem. Thank you.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 262007

Air condition/ heat (blue- red) dial makes cliking sound when turning from blue to red and some times does not allow warm air to heat the car.

- Ny, NY, USA