2.1

2002 Mitsubishi Montero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero:

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Owner Comments

Feb 082016

Montero

My 2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS was stationary and parked for the night on the street in front of my house. At approximately 4:00 am, the alarm started to sound and the lights were flashing. The first night, the neighbors and police discovered it before me, so the police broke into my car, opened the hood, and disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery the next morning, the alarm continued to sound, so I removed the fuse for the horn and replaced it later that day, to be greeted with silence. Four nights later, I had the fuse for the horn back in the vehicle. I was woken up at 2:00 am to the sound of my horn blaring. I once again, had to remove the fuse for the horn. This issue has turned out to be both a public nuisance and unsafe.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Mar 102015

Montero

While parked in my driveway at night, my 2002 limited Mitsubishi Montero's car alarm will go off at exactly 4:30 am each morning until we disable the alarm with the remote. We checked and no one else or thing is bumping or setting off the alarm.

- Oakridge, OR, USA

Jan 072013

Montero 4WD 6-cyl

Aging of the cosmetic vinyl covering on steering wheel that covers air bag module will contract too much in cold weather, approximately 40 degrees F or lower causing car horn to go off even without engine running. The vinyl covering squeezes the car horn contacts that are just under the cover and on top of air bag module.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Feb 262011

Montero

The contact owns a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. While driving approximately between 35-40 mph, the contact observed that the temperature gauge inaccurately displayed that the vehicle was hot although the engine did not overheat. The vehicle was currently being repaired by an independent mechanic for the replacement of the fan clutch and instrument cluster. The failure mileage was approximately 119,000.

- Dixion, KY, USA

Apr 102009

Montero

Car stalled due to drink (which was in drink holder) spilling across shift area during sudden braking - apparently liquid shorted out wiring and car wouldn't drive again until it dried out - if these two items must be close together then the gear/shift area should be water tight/proof - for sure this could cause damage/crash/death/injury.

- Manitou Springs, CO, USA