7.6

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport:

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032016

Outlander Sport

My car had the safety recall fixed, the computer for the slow acceleration. Since then, the shifting has been off. Anytime you speed up, the RPM's go very high until you let your foot off the gas. It sounds like the engine/transmission is going to explode. I've tried to have the dealer fix, they can't find anything wrong with it. Mitsubishi says the dealer told them there is nothing wrong. So, it's just supposed to run at a high RPM anytime I speed up" will that not cause damage" this has been an ongoing problem.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 022016

Outlander Sport

I purchased my 2015 Outlander sport SUV after owning a montero sport and loving it for over 12 years. I noticed within a month that when I would start off from a stoplight, my automatic transmission would jump like it was a manual transmission. During this jump, my SUV would slow down and not accelerate. When it did kick in, it would jerk me forward. I now understand that their are many experiencing this same issue and have a repair appointment in 2 days. I sure hope this repair takes care of the issue or the NHTSA will take steps to insure that consumers are safe driving on our usa roads.

- Montrose, MN, USA

Sep 032016

Outlander Sport

09/02/2016... took my vehicle to the dealer to perform service for a recall about the outlander hesitating at slow speeds and when accelerating from a stop. I am still experiencing the problem. I asked the dealer after the service, did that fix the problem. He said I hope so, I don't know what else to do. Please look into this. I would like to know that when I need my car to go......it will go!!

- Ft. Myers, FL, USA

Jun 162016

Outlander Sport

While driving and braking, I notice a hesitation, sometimes to slow and sometimes a burst of speed. This is usually starting out or trying to slow or stop. I also at the same time notice sometimes maybe hitting brakes leads to this. Not sure if power train or electrical but very concerned. Also, I had a friend that had a 2015 outlander and the airbags did not execute at 50 mph accident. This is a very high concern. I checked VIN but did not see anything.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Apr 292016

Outlander Sport

While driving during acceleration after I have stopped or slowed down the vehicle loses power and jerks and jumps before I can accelerate again. This issue is intermittent and I have taken it to the dealer but it didn't happen while they were test driving it and told me everything was fine. This mainly happens while trying to go through intersections and I am very concerned that it will cause a accident. I just bought this vehicle a week ago with only 17,000 miles on it.

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 232016

Outlander Sport

When trying to pull away from stop vehicle just stops engine still running it just wont go. Vehicle was taken in for the computer flash seemed to help but then started doing it again. This is dangerous can easily be rearended. It has happened when turning or straight but always after stopping then pulling away from stop. Bought vehicle with just over 2000 miles we suspect the prior owner had same problem.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Mar 222016

Outlander Sport

My 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander sport hesitates after coming to a stop and attempting to accelerate again. I'd have to push the gas again to go. A slight jerk feel. I bought it in June 2015 brand new and it's done this since August. I mostly drive highway so to feel this when ya coming into a town has me concerned. There is something definitely wrong with the transmission. It scares me sometimes. I was told my car might need to be realigned but all these cars with the same issue? please check on this!

- Converse, TX, USA

Mar 022016

Outlander Sport

On 3/2/2016 I was in stop and go traffic on I-71 in columbus Ohio. The car ahead of me moved up so I proceeded to move up as well. I took my foot off the brake, gently pressed the accellerator and the car initially began to move, then lost power to the drive wheels then reengaged with a jerk. I almost got rear ended from the car behind be because they had no warning that my car was going to essentially stop moving forward. This is the 2'nd report that I have made on this website for the same problem. The first time the car had about 3,500 miles on it and this time it had about 8,700. After the first incident I took the car to the dealership to complete a recall for the transmission control program and they thought it would fix the problem but clearly it didn't. I will be taking the car back to the dealer to let them look at it again but I am now scared to drive this car. In order for vehicles to be safe they must be predictable and this cars accelleration from a stop is not predictable. The frequency of occurrence isn't that high but it only takes 1 occurrence when there are other vehicles involved to possibly loose your life. My state has a lemon law for new vehicles so I plan to initiate the process, my life is worth more to me than it appears to be worth to Mitsubishi.

- Ontario, OH, USA

Feb 102016

Outlander Sport

Vehicle would not respond after stopping it would start to go then hesitate and stop. We could have been hit by oncoming traffic it did go after continually pressing depressing accelerator. Vehicle has done this 4 times you never know when it might happen. It has only happened after stopping then attempting to go again engine is running fine prior to and after it goes again. Vehicle has only 3000 miles on it.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jan 292016

Outlander Sport

I am also experiencing vehicle hesitation from a complete stop or a slow down. I bought it with only 6 miles on it. The problem started with about 500 miles on my vehicle. It now has 1,200 and is still doing it. From a complete stop, it will not always go when the accelerator is pushed and when it does go, it jerks like it just shifted into gear. That has happened three times just today. A couple weeks ago when I slowed down to turn right, I was able to make the turn with my foot off the accelerator but as soon as I tried to speed up, it would not move. I had cars behind me and was lucky I didn't get rear-ended. I had to coast into a parking lot where the accelerator started working again. It is intermittent and cannot be reproduced on demand, so the dealer has not been able to help with this. I was in to the dealer yesterday and was told they hooked it up to the computer and took it for a test drive and everything seems fine. They told me to bring it back in right away if it happens again. I called today to tell them it has happened three times and they can't get me in for over a week to look at it. By that time it probably won't be happening again. This is very dangerous. I'm scared to drive it but it's my only vehicle. I haven't even made my first payment on it yet. I feel like I got a lemon that nobody wants to take responsibility for.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

May 222015

Outlander Sport

My 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander sport has also seemed to hesitate after coming to a stop and attempting to accelerate again. I'd have to push the gas again to go. A slight jerk feel. I bought it in March 2015 and it's done this since may with only around 5000 miles. I mostly drive highway so to feel this when ya coming into a town has me concerned. But of course by then the dealer doesn't want to take the car back. The dealer sees nothing wrong but I'm sure with all of us posting the same common issue, there is something definitely wrong with the transmission. Guess I'm stuck with the worry until I can trade it in.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 262015

Outlander Sport

Several instances where acceleration failed momentarily were followed by a recall. Several weeks after the issue was 'corrected", acceleration failed to generate a speed past 30 mph for a few moments, then 25 mph, and I barely managed to get back at home at no more than 20 mph. Every time I stepped on the gas, it caused acceleration to decrease until I stopped and coasted at 20.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Dec 132015

Outlander Sport

On 12/13/2015 I was at a one way stop intersection and as I proceeded to accelerate through the intersection the vehicle lost power to the drive wheels momentarily and then reengaged with a jerk. It felt like the transmission slipped and then grabbed or reengaged. A few days before this I had received a recall notice to have the transmission control program replaced. I have since taken the vehicle in for the recall service and also reported the near miss due to the loss of driving power. The recall service was performed and the dealership failed to reproduce the loss of power or identify the root cause of the failure. So far this failure has only happened once but I will continue to monitor. Loss of power while attempting to accelerate through an intersection to me is of significant safety concern and should be given high priority by all. The vehicle had about 3,500 miles on it at the time of the loss of power and is now at 4,000.

- Ontario, OH, USA

Dec 042015

Outlander Sport

For those of you who had the same issue as I did with hesitation at low speeds and the engine RPM at higher speeds - I received this letter on Friday December 4th - please take your vehicles into the dealership and get them fixed- you will no longer have to worry about getting into an accident - and it's not the inhibitor switch.

Feb 192015

Outlander Sport

I filed a complaint before and not sure how long they stay on this website but I no longer have my vehicle it was "repo" on 11.11.15 and was going to auction on 11.26.15 - who ever bought this vehicle needs to know it is a lemon. I have all the paperwork to prove it. Please be very careful when driving this vehicle.

Oct 232015

Outlander Sport

My 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander sport 2.0 has 500 miles on it and it hesitates intermittently when starting from intersections. It feels like someone put the breaks on but I think it's a transmission problem. I almost got hit twice already because of this. It usually does this when making a turn.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Sep 142015

Outlander Sport

Transmission started slipping on my wife's brand new 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander sport. Car has less than 10K miles on it. Took it to dealership and they ordered a brand new transmission to install. Very strange that the transmission would go out this soon. Dealership claimed they have never seen this problem before on the new outlanders.

- Zionsville, PA, USA

Sep 012015

Outlander Sport

Vehicle hesitates intermittently when attempting to accelerate through intersection, entering on highway ect...causing risk of collision

- Shallotte, NC, USA

Aug 032015

Outlander Sport

My father purchased his 2015 Outlander sport in April 2015 with a total of 3 miles on it. Starting approx the end of July/beginning of August, the vehicle would "stutter" and shake upon acceleration. He promptly took it to the dealership of purchase where they told him it was a loose transmission cable and fixed it. Approx 1 week after being fixed, it began to stutter and shake again, but this time sounded like loud bangs and like the cv joint was coming apart. He took it to a different dealership and was told that the previous transmission cable fix was unsuccessful and that it was fixed "correctly this time". over the last week, the car is acting up again - and is getting worse over time. He has taken it back to the dealership and they have done nothing. They let it sit for several days without looking at it and dad finally picked it up without anything being done to it. He was even in contact with the Mitsubishi manufacturer. The vehicle is now shuddering on an almost constant basis with no explanation or help from the dealer/manufacturer and he has almost been in several accidents due to this.

- Coburn, PA, USA

Feb 092015

Outlander Sport

To make a very long story short I was at a stop light and pressed the gas to go and my car went forward then it just stopped it seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas - I pressed the gas peddle frantically because I was in the middle of an intersection and almost got hit. It happened again in March - I finally got the dealership to take my car for a few days they put a recording device in it and drove it - they kept it for over 30 days and it finally did the same thing to the mechanic that was driving it - they took the recording information and sent it to the engineers at the manufacture and told me that it was the inhibitor switch - they replaced it on 4.21.15 and on 4.26.15 my car did the same thing again - this time the car that almost hit me pulled over I explained to him what was happening with my car - I got his name and # just in case. I filed a complaint with the BBB and with the attorney generals office - they called me and gave me the phone number to a lemon law lawyer who now is handling my case. My brand new car still isn't fixed - I have heard that there is another 2015 Outlander sport in Florida doing the same thing. I have looked on the manufacture's website to see if there was anyone else experiencing the same issue or if there were any recalls on my new car and found nothing. I'm so glad I came to this website and found out that there are more than just 2 new 2015 Outlander sports having the same issue. I talked to an old friend of mine who has been a mechanic for several years and he told me that it might be the map sensor- manifold absolute presser or the knock sensor.