1999 Oldsmobile Alero electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

1999 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 1 of 2)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Oldsmobile Alero:

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 142014

Alero

TL-the contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated when he inserted the ignition key inside the ignition switch the vehicle did not turn on. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic diagnosed failure of ignition switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.lb

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 132014

Alero

When trying to start the anti-theft light comes on and blinks you must wait 10 mins to restart and sometimes the vehicle will start or you have to wait the recycle till again. GM did a recall on the key itself to add a hole in the key for the weight situation, but did not help the ignition problem of starting this vehicle. My question is why hasn't this problem been address yet? I have several complaints on this problem.

- Comfort, WV, USA

Dec 012014

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The consumer received a recall letter. However, she was involved in an accident, where the engine power, power steering and power brakes went out. The consumer was injured and the vehicle was totaled.

- Wonewoc, WI, USA

Jun 222014

Alero 4-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to reimbursement for recall repairs. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced twice.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Jun 052013

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #14350. * ld the consumer is seeking reimbursement for the ignition switch and lock cylinder she had replaced on June 5, 2013.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Apr 162014

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph over a bump, the security warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where a private mechanic reset the security system but the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Apr 162014

- Booneville, MS, USA

Oct 052005

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving at an unknown speed, the driver lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle flipped over. The contact was unsure if the air bags deployed. The driver received medical attention, but suffered fatal injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bristol, WI, USA

May 012014

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving various speeds, the key would release from the ignition and the security warning indicator illuminated. The contact had to wait for the security warning indicator to deactivate before the vehicle could start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the ignition failed and the computer needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jan 282011

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving approximately 32 mph the contact applied the brakes but the vehicle would not stop. In order to stop the vehicle the contact engaged the emergency brake. During the failure all of the warning lights illuminated. The speedometer also began to display random speeds ranging from 0 mph to 100 mph. The vehicle also stalled while driving. The hazard lights would not function. The failure was not diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 97,213.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Jun 132002

Alero

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, several times my security lights and came on and you can not start the car, it will flash for 10 minutes and then hopefully it will start and not start flashing again. I have it at the dealership several times, and spend $$$$$ many dollars and still I have the same problem, I don't drive it much now because I am scare that it want start, GMC needs to doi a recall.

- Fairmont, NC, USA

Dec 032009

Alero

Power windows have both went out had to replace the motor for that, 2 times now the rack and pinion has came out and 2 times I have had to replace altenator had to replace overflow resorvoir I dont find this to be a reliable or safe car to be in. I bought it used so who knows what has happened before I got it I forgot to mention my part-time signal lights they work when they want to and I had to replace air conditioning compresser I have only had car 5 yrs myself and its so not worth the money I have put into it the dates vary but the first was in 2004 and the last was 2009.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Jun 062009

Alero

Secuirty light on 1999 Oldsmobile Alero comes on and car will not start for over 10 mins. This causes me to fuel my car with the car engine running because I do not want to take the chance of it not starting. Sometimes it takes 3 trys before it starts and that is over 30 minutes of wait time. One day it may not start at all. Ongoing problem with the other Alero owners. Oldsmobile needs to issue a recall on this problem.

- Blackstone, VA, USA

Jul 042009

Alero

My security light keep coming on. It locks down my fuel system. I had the problem fix in October of 2006. It was fix at the dealership in which I bought it from. About $500 is what I paid to get it fix. On july4,2009, the same problem happened again. It malfunction again. I can't afford to fix this again. There are lots of people with the same problem that I got. Please help me and others with this dangerous problem. It's not our fault that they made this recurring problem. What can I do about this?

- Dallas, NC, USA

Nov 102006

Alero 6-cyl

I have had an 99' Oldsmobile Alero for 7 years. It has had almost every problem listed on this website. It has had an over heating problem every year since I got it and I have spent thousands in repairs for the cooling system, fuel pump, poor interior manufacturer, ac/heater blower motor settings failure, fuel gauge failure, transmission leakage, poor springs/struts, gear slipping, hard starting, water leaking in from rain under glove compartment, off alignment (set three times in year), poor gas mileage, overheating or running above normal temperature and sudden overheating without notice of gauge lights or sounds. Has had front right caliper failure locking brake pads down against rotor causing burnout of pads, rotor warping, caliper cylinder damage. Has had power steering pump leakage. This car is a lemon and GM should not be allowed to get away with selling unsafe, worthless vehicles. The only reason I still have mine running is because I have put a lot of personal as well as paid labor into its upkeep over the years due to that I cant afford another car.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 022006

Alero 4-cyl

Driver's side window motor has been replaced three times in the last 4 years. Rear driver's side window motor has also been replaced in the last year. Amazing how this keeps happening over and over again. Also, my horn has gone off in the middle of the night several times without anything setting it off. There is no way to turn it off once it goes. Each time it was 3 or 4 in the morning and each time I had to drive to a remote location just to disconnect the horn. Of course, the first couple of times I had no idea how to do this but after a while you get to know these things. I have had the horn replaced on several occasions without any success. Now I am being told that it is the horn pads located in the steering wheel. Of course, that is another $800 - $1000 job on top of the 4 windows that cost about $400 each and the horns with ran me about $150 to $200 each.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Mar 132006

Alero 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at various speeds there was a humming noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Additionally, the ABS light illuminated, the cruise control became inoperable, a burning smell appeared and the vehicle was loosing water. The dealership inspected the vehicle. The battery, wiring, spark plug wiring and a belt were replaced. The water pump and window switch was replaced. The blower motor needed to cleaned out. The brakes were inoperative updated 05/01/06.

- Interlachen, FL, USA

Feb 282006

Alero 4-cyl

While driving my 1999 Oldsmobile Alero 2.4L, my traction control light came on. It did not give the normal warning indicator to let me know that something was wrong. I stopped at a stop sign. With the oncoming traffic it requires you to quickly enter the intersection. My car stalled in the middle of take of as if it was not getting gas. The oncoming traffic which is traveling at a great rate of speed had to slam on breaks to prevent from hitting my stalled car. Several cars came to a screeching halt and nearly wrecked. I learned that the cause of the car stalling was my throttle position sensor was faulty. This is the second time I have had to replace the tps. The first was done approximately 2 years ago the hendrick dealership in apex North Carolina. I experienced the same problem with the traction control light coming and the transmission shift irregular and the car stalling. On the last experience today 28 Feb 06 I had my 7 year old son in the back seat. I would like this issue address by the General Motors corporation immediately. I narrowly escaped suffering severe injuries and possible lost of life today.

- Apex, NC, USA

Feb 222006

Alero 4-cyl

Passlock system-car will not start 2-3 times a week have talk to people that had their key tumblers changed and still have the same problem. Have to wait 10 -15 minutes for security light to go out before to car will crank. I didn't ask for the passlock system but have no way to override it. Have found similar complaints on the web forums.

- Stantonsburg, NC, USA

Feb 012005

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated the hub bearings on both sides of the front end went out. There was a noise coming from the front end, the contact took the vehicle to a garage. The mechanic told her of the problem, and said if she drove it much longer there would have been an accident. The head gaskets also blew out the engine. The vehicle was leaking antifreeze into the air system. The vehicle is currently at the garage being fixed for the head gaskets. Also, fuel pump went out while driving on the road. The vehicle was towed to the garage. Then, they replaced the fuel pump. The contact stated, in addition, there have been electrical problems. The computer system had to be reset a couple of times. This has happened within the past 12 months.

- Akron, OH, USA