1999 Oldsmobile Alero electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

1999 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 1 of 2)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Oldsmobile Alero:

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 062015

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was unable to restart. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was causing the fans, fuel gauge, and air bags to malfunction. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. The VIN was not available.

- Napa, ID, USA

Aug 192014

Alero

I want to report the ignition switch on a 1999 olds Alero V6. I have replaced the ignition switch on my car 3 times now since Aug. 2013. There has to be an electrical issue becasue my security light come on and my air conditioner does not come on. So I had it tested and its not getting any electrical to it to come on. And that is exactly the way it happens evertime. So I was wondering if there was a recall or would they be one in near future.... becasue I dont 300-400 everytime it goes out.

- Levelland, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Alero

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and key issues.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Feb 072013

Alero 4-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer requests reimbursement for ignition recall repairs that were done prior to the recall. The ignition lock cylinder and ignition were replaced.

- Chattaroy, WA, USA

Feb 102015

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall. The consumer stated the vehicle was towed to the dealer. They gave her a new key according to the recall. The consumer stated the ignition switch did not work. The dealer wanted the consumer to pay for the replacement ignition, when it was supposed to be replaced for free.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 222013

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer received repair for recall for vehicle and requests reimbursement for the replacement ignition lock cylinder that was done in August 2013.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Alero

The contact owns 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) however, the replacement keys failed to operate when entered into the ignition key cylinder. The remedy was insufficient and the vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 022015

Alero

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer attempted to get vehicle fixed due to a recall and was unsuccessful.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Dec 032014

Alero

I had the recall done but my car keeps dying and when the car is running I can now remove my key and engine stays running. The security light comes on all the time and I have to sit and wait at least 10 min for car to start. I have a baby and with this cold weather plus being stranded is not safe. I was told all the dealer did was a new key/insert. The whole ignition lock assembly should be replaced under a new recall. The dealer told me for $100 diagnostic fee that could look at the car. Never did this until the dealer did the repair.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Dec 132014

Alero

When trying to start the anti-theft light comes on and blinks you must wait 10 mins to restart and sometimes the vehicle will start or you have to wait the recycle till again. GM did a recall on the key itself to add a hole in the key for the weight situation, but did not help the ignition problem of starting this vehicle. My question is why hasn't this problem been address yet? I have several complaints on this problem.

- Comfort, WV, USA

Dec 012014

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The consumer received a recall letter. However, she was involved in an accident, where the engine power, power steering and power brakes went out. The consumer was injured and the vehicle was totaled.

- Wonewoc, WI, USA

Jun 222014

Alero 4-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to reimbursement for recall repairs. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced twice.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Jun 052013

Alero 6-cyl

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #14350. * ld the consumer is seeking reimbursement for the ignition switch and lock cylinder she had replaced on June 5, 2013.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Apr 162014

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph over a bump, the security warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where a private mechanic reset the security system but the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Apr 162014

- Booneville, MS, USA

Oct 052005

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving at an unknown speed, the driver lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle flipped over. The contact was unsure if the air bags deployed. The driver received medical attention, but suffered fatal injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bristol, WI, USA

May 012014

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving various speeds, the key would release from the ignition and the security warning indicator illuminated. The contact had to wait for the security warning indicator to deactivate before the vehicle could start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the ignition failed and the computer needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jan 282011

Alero

The contact owns a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving approximately 32 mph the contact applied the brakes but the vehicle would not stop. In order to stop the vehicle the contact engaged the emergency brake. During the failure all of the warning lights illuminated. The speedometer also began to display random speeds ranging from 0 mph to 100 mph. The vehicle also stalled while driving. The hazard lights would not function. The failure was not diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 97,213.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Jun 132002

Alero

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, several times my security lights and came on and you can not start the car, it will flash for 10 minutes and then hopefully it will start and not start flashing again. I have it at the dealership several times, and spend $$$$$ many dollars and still I have the same problem, I don't drive it much now because I am scare that it want start, GMC needs to doi a recall.

- Fairmont, NC, USA

Dec 032009

Alero

Power windows have both went out had to replace the motor for that, 2 times now the rack and pinion has came out and 2 times I have had to replace altenator had to replace overflow resorvoir I dont find this to be a reliable or safe car to be in. I bought it used so who knows what has happened before I got it I forgot to mention my part-time signal lights they work when they want to and I had to replace air conditioning compresser I have only had car 5 yrs myself and its so not worth the money I have put into it the dates vary but the first was in 2004 and the last was 2009.

- Cleveland, TN, USA