2000 Oldsmobile Alero engine problems: engine cuts off while driving

Engine Cuts Off While Driving

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.9

2. cam shaft position sensor, plugs, & coil pack (2 reports)
  3. currently trying spare key (1 reports)
  4. replaced battery wire terminal and battery (1 reports)
2000 Oldsmobile Alero engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero:

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Jul 032012

Alero GX 2.4L

This is more than likely the worst car ever made! I bought it salvaged, didn't think it would be too hard to fix up. Little by little things started to go wrong or show up. I have had this car for almost two years.

My air conditioning never has worked since I bought it, my turn signals only work sometimes (thank goodness they work when I'm driving around police), my hazard lights don't hardly work, worst of all my engine will turn off on me while I am driving or turning corners (pretty much anytime I am not accelerating, or stopped), the body structure of this car is pathetic, and was damaged when I got it (has only gotten worse since I have owned it). Just a horrible car, not to mention I feel trapped in this tiny car and I'm only 5'2. WASTE OF MONEY. I will not pay over $200 to fix this stupid car, because it is just not worth it!!!

- , Burlington, IA, USA

Aug 012012

Alero ES 2.4L

Ive had the car for over 2 yrs, the only problems i have had out of it is radiator hose leaks usually in the summer, i noticed about a year ago that it was idling low when i started the car most days but never thought much of it. but within the past couple of months it wants to try to die when i come to a stop, i really need help with this cause my old lady drives this car to work and i am always fearing for the worst everyday she drives it. I've put in a thing of fuel injector cleaner which seemed to help a little i like to think.. I've been told by a couple mechanics its the idle sensor or something that there are two types of them one costs 30$ and the other is 70$ i need to know what I'm up against i cant afford to poke around the bush any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

- , Portsmouth, Ohio, USA

Sep 102010

Alero LX V6

I'm 23 year's old this is the first used car i ever purchase i just finish paying for it and WHAM!!! in my face the car start turning off while driving it in the middle of the highway someone please help me on how i can fix this situation i really don't have no money for a new car i go to school at night and work doing the day what can i do!!

- , Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA

Jan 152010

Alero G 3400

Oldsmobile should be ashamed!!!!!!!!! This so called "Security" feature is nothing but a death trap! I was driving on the highway with my daughter and all of the sudden the car shut off. Wow thats nice. I have been told it is electrical. Funny how this has happened to more then 1 person and all across Canada and the U.S, maybe there should be a recall on this, or maybe when someone dies after their car shuts off and they are struck homicide charges should be laid against OLDSMOBILE!!!!!!!!!!

- , Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Jun 052009

Alero 6 cyl

I bought this car used and it stinks! I live in the mountains and can't depend on it. So far no mechanic has been able to identify the problem.

- , Montague, NJ, USA

Jul 232009

Alero GLS 3.4L

This car like s to die, miss, etc... The computer says cam shaft sensor and misfire... Could this be the coilpack mabe? I have had this car for 2 yeasrs and have had problems with it ever since... Mabe I got a lemon... It is dangerous when I pull out, and now on the interstate also... I would like to fix it if I knew what was wrong... The computer always says something different...

Update from Jul 27, 2009: The cam shaft position sensor was bad, the plugs foul out on #1 cylinder, and the coil pack was bad... Do not put platinum plugs in this car... The regular plugs will last longer and it will run better... We fixed this problem today... These three things were my solution... Hope this helps...

- , London, KY, USA

Oct 012003

Alero 3.4L V6

When I had purchased my 2000 Alero I think around 2003, It was probably about a year later or so that the car would just turn off for no reason while driving and it would have a hard time starting. I found out it was the connection with the computer and the hot(+) battery wire terminal. There is a computer wire linking with the hot battery wire terminal connecting to the battery. Once I cleaned and replaced the battery wire terminal with a better one and made sure the connection was good with the computer wire I did not have any more problems with that. When I say computer wire, it is very thick, maybe 10gauge wire and that is why the connection came undone. The old terminal was not very big and there was not enough room for the wires to be secured good enough, not to mention the wires being fairly short. The type of terminal that came with the car was metal of some sort and I replaced it with a lead type piece. I did replace the battery as well but I don't know if that had a lot to do with fixing the problem but it couldn't hurt.

- , Meridian, Idaho, USA

Jan 152008

Alero GL V6

Same complaint as all the others on this site. Car is very inconsistent when trying to start up. Sometimes it starts up on the first try, other times it takes several attempts for the car to turn over. I have discovered that it will start up if the "Service Engine Soon" light lights up when turning the key. If the light does not come on, the car will not start. I first experienced the engine shut off while driving about a couple months ago. It happened several times, but only while I was driving under 30mph. We took it in to a mechanic and they couldn't pinpoint the problem. They said "maybe" to a bunch of things including the fuel pump, among others. I also asked them to fix the blinker problem which didn't end up fixing a thing, but that's another issue. After spending around $400 we got our car back only to have the problem persist. Brought it into another car shop and they couldn't find anything on their computer and they gave us a bunch of "maybe" solutions as well. Another $150 down the drain and the problem still isn't fixed. Recently I was driving on the highway about 60mph and the car shut off. Thank God I was in the slow lane so it was easier (after cranking the steering wheel which locks up when this happens) to pull over to the shoulder and restart the car, but it was pretty scary.

Is there a solution besides just giving up on this darn car? I thought I read somewhere that someone with this same problem had their ignition switch fixed and the problem was solved. That was included in one of the mechanic's "maybe" solutions, but that runs around $500, and if it's not going to fix the problem no thanks! I'm seriously considering just dumping the Alero and buying a new car so I can go back to driving a safe and reliable car again. However, if someone can tell me that they got the ignition switch fixed and it remedied the problem, I would be very happy to save the cost of a new car. Any help???

- , Hopkins, MN, USA

Dec 182007

Alero LX V6

i was driving 70mph on the highway in the fast lane and the car died had ti try and glide over two lanes to break down lane very scary, waited 5 minutes or so and started back up. happened 1 more time took to my mechanic and he changed fuel filter clogged solid. was good for little while and started doing it again. took to two more mechanic one couldn't find other mechanic chaned air filter also clogged and cleaned throttle and map. he got 4 codes up but I believe they are false. waiting to see if happens again. this car has been nothing but a problem from one month of purchase in the shop every month since any anwers to this problem would be great before it costs me thousands of dollars. afraid to drive it anywhere

- , Uxbridge, MA, USA

Nov 292007

Alero GLS 3.2L V6

Driving to work my car dies. After sitting for about 10 minutes it will start again, once starts and drive about another 5-10 miles continues to die. Took to dealer they can't find a problem except fuel filter may be clogged they replace it. And car continues to die. Now they want to put a fuel pump on., But they are not sure that is the problem. Does any one have any ideas??? Please let me know

- , Rushville, IL, USA

Aug 282007

Alero GLS 3.2L V6

Driving at 65 mph. Car shuts off completely. No Lights. No chimes. No warning of any kind. Wait approx. 5 min. Car starts again. Drive approx. 30 more miles. Same thing. Another 5 min. the car starts. Again about ten miles later. Last time, I had gone approx. 2 more miles. This was all one trip. Approx. one month ago, my service engine light came on. I brought it to the dealer. He found three codes, when he put it on the computer. He told me all were false. No trouble found. I do not know if these two events are related. I have since driven only to work and home again. That's only two miles, each way. I have not had the trouble again, but doubt that this mileage is a good test of anything. I am using my spare key. I am hoping the chip is possibly shot in the key I've used all along. I plan to ask the dealer if he can test it.

- , Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Sep 062007

Alero GLS 3.2L V6

Driving on highway, 65 mph, cruise control on, went to pass, car died, no warning of any kind. After five minutes, car started up. 100 mile trip, happened four times, various speeds, used cruise control, only the first time. No answer from the dealer yey

- , Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Dec 282006

Alero LS

While traveling down the highway in my Olds, upon going up an incline, my car started to lose power, the more I pushed on the gas pedal, the more it died. Finally the car shut completely off. After sitting with the engine off for approx. 10 minutes, the car started again and I was able to drive it for approx 20 miles, but once again, pushing on the gas pedal too much made the car lose power and die, then would not start again and had to be towed. My mechanic has checked for error codes on the computer, NONE SHOW UP! fuel filter has been changed, fuel pump checked out okay, .... car will not always mess up for mechanic to be able to diagnose the problem, only occasional blurps of problems........ but too infrequent to be a reliable source of transportation....... uuuuuggggghhhh...... anyone else having this problem ? any idea what to fix?

- , Independence, KS, USA

Jul 182006

Alero GLS

While driving, (usually begins on freeway), car will just cut out and won't start right away. Definitely a big problem. Local dealership couldn't find anything wrong. I will never buy an American auto again.

- , Centralia, WA, USA

Jan 082006

Alero

While I'm driving on the highway my car cuts off. When I try to start it up again it doesn't turn over at that time,and if it does turn over it putts like it's out of gas. I let it sit for awhile and it starts up and drives good as new until it cuts off again. I got a fresh tune up less than a week ago.

- , Indian Orchard, Mass, USA