Roaring / Popping Noise When Driving

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Oldsmobile dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

1. replace wheel bearing (2 reports)
2000 Oldsmobile Alero wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero:

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Jun 052007

Alero GS 2.4L

I replaced the wheel bearing/hub assembly on the driver side as well as the CV half axle. That's the side we thought was the loudest. I'll try replacing the wb/ha on the passenger side with the old driver side unit and see what happens. I've done all of the work myself and have spent nearly 250 dollars on parts and tools so far. We're selling this piece of $h!t ASAP!!! Too many problems to name. But it still gets decent gas mileage.

- , Warsaw, NC, USA

Jun 062007

Alero GS 2.4L

I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly and once again the car is quiet... relatively speaking. You'll need a 1 5/15" socket with a breaker bar for the axle nut as well as a hub puller for... well... none other than pulling the hub. The axle nut needs to be tightened to 284 ft/lbs so a sizable torque wrench is also needed. All other fittings can be tightened with a 0-75 ft/lb torque wrench with the exception of the lug-nuts with are tightened to 100 ft/lbs. All other tools needed should be in any handyman's tool chest. Get a Haynes manual, though not entirely clear or user friendly at times it will guide you step by step.

- , Warsaw, NC, USA

Aug 092004

Alero LE

I heard a roaring noise in the front end. I took it to the dealership because it was covered under a warranty. Service personnel advised that nothing was wrong and that I was hearing things. Then it started popping. I took it back and the service manager informed me that women and men hear things differently and that he would send a technician with me to drive it and I could point out the noise to him. Soon after backing out of the lot, the popping noise began. The startled technician said that it was a wonder the passenger side wheel hadn't fallen off because it was the worst sounding wheel bearing he had ever heard. The service manager asked his other workers why they hadn't diagnosed this before and they advised that they hadn't bothered to drive it because they had put the car on the rack and had thought the noise was from a plastic piece that had come loose under the car.

- , Pine Ridge, KY, USA