NHTSA — Steering Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Sep 162014

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. Also, smoke started to emit from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 147.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 082008

Alero 6-cyl

My car shut off while driving on downtown street. Tow was necessary. Ignition sensory assembly had to be replaced. I received recall for this today GM #14350. I was told there would be directions in the case that I already made repair. There are no instructions. I have a very specific receipt for the repair. How do I get reimbursed. Phone #'s are always busy...that's why I'm trying for information here. Thanks.

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Nov 132013

The car turns off while I am driving resulting in loss of all electrical and power components. No power brakes or steering. It does this all the time and I've taken it in and they can not find the problem.

- Allen, TX, USA

Feb 112013

I love my car but the thing is a death trap. It shut off 15 times within a mile of driving in 5 O'clock traffic. It has almost me my life several times. The dash cluster goes out so I have no idea what speed im going or if the car is running hot. GM if you think this isn't a problem it is please recall the car fix it and I will keep it till I need a bigger car.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Oct 172005

Alero 4-cyl

The car has broke down and wouldn't restart, fuel pump, ECM? modulator fuses. Powering steering leaks all the time and sometimes locks up. Rear defroster won't work. Driver's side controls for windows, locks, stopped working. Drivers side window drops down and breaks-repaired 3 times and just happened again. Belt broke, lost power barely able to get it off the road. Front passenger wheel thumps, pops, etc. Had fixed and still has the same problems. I've maintained routinely, but it continues to keep breaking down. The handle to put in gear/park has broke. A lot of plastic parts, clips etc crumbling apart, knobs, light switches, window tracts. All out of pocket. Recall for windows, rear defrost, power steering, fuel pump, belt breaking, front hubs/wheels/steering !!!!!

- Mcarthur, OH, USA