Leaking Antifreeze

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.0

2. replace thermostat, upper and lower manifold gaskets (2 reports)
2003 Oldsmobile Alero cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Oldsmobile Alero:

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Apr 082016

Alero V6

This is the 3rd time I have had this problem. I love this car. I can't continue to put money into this car. I had to get a part time job to pay for the repair. Each time I made the repair the care started to run really loud, and rough. Today on my way home from work I noticed the same thing happening again. This is unacceptable. I have talked so many friends and family into buying GM cars. This is the last straw. I can't keep throwing money away. What is the problem? Please help!!!!!

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 212010

Alero V6

Coolant light would go on intermittently for a few days. Had coolant topped off. Then the next day the car overheated unexpectedly and quickly while on the highway. Drove to gas station. Filled coolant. Coolant was not leaking with car turned off. Turned on car to drive home, and 20 miles later all the coolant was gone. Found similar problems reported on this website. Took it to a trusted mechanic.

Repair needed: replace upper and lower manifold gaskets & seals, replace thermostat, change oil and filter. Repair cost nearly $800. If coolant got into the engine (which happens in some cases with this design flaw), this could have been much, much worse.

Turns out GM lost a class action law suit because of this problem: http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

I've owned two GM cars and had terrible experiences with both. I won't be buying one in the future, and their fancy new ad campaigns don't fool me either.

- , P, P, USA

Jun 022009

Alero ES V6

I go to start my car (just to warm it up before leaving) all the coolant drains out.This has happened 3 times since Tuesday!

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 012007

Alero GL V6

CAR STARTED LEAKING ANTI FREEZE EARLY NOVEMBER AND NOW WE ARE PRETTY SURE IT IS THE WATER PUMP.

- , Kansas City, KS, USA