NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Oldsmobile Alero lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Oldsmobile Alero:

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Oct 052014

Alero 6-cyl

Was driving on in toll road when my headlights went off. I was able to get them back on by going to manual. They also flickered on & off even with car off and key out of ignition. Had recall on ignition, recall 143510, advised GM and dealer of problem. They said wasn't covered by recall. Still a recurring problem.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 012014

2004 Oldsmobile Alero. Hazard light button is pushed back where he was unable to active my hazard lights if needed. Also, there were some unidentified lights stuck on the dashboard.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 012011

The blinkers only work 5 % of the time. I have almost been hit in the rear several times due to this issue. Neither blinker will work. I notice a recall was done on the 2001 olds Alero for this problem. I have a 2004 olds Alero that is having the same issue. The blinkers do not work due to a defective hazard warning light switch. A recall should be done on 2004 olds Alero.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Oct 142011

Alero 4-cyl

The turn signals randomly stop functioning. They can go from working to not working and back in any given drive. I have replaced the fuses multiple times, but it quickly starts doing it again.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 022014

The turn signals on my 2004 Alero goes in and out all of the time. The hazards will work but no turn signals. It is very hazardous because people can't see that I'm turning or changing lanes. I also got pulled over for not using my blinker because it wouldn't work. Also my horn hasn't worked for a long time. That is also a safety hazard.

- Menomonie, WI, USA

Dec 092011

The contact owns a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that intermittently, the turn signals would independently activate and the hazard lights became operable. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Scurry, TX, USA

May 122013

Alero 6-cyl

Blinker intermittently stops working. I will go to signal a lane change and the blinker will not work. Then randomly it will start working again. This is a safety hazard because I am unable to signal my lane change and it causes me to break the law.

- Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Apr 012012

Alero 4-cyl

Vehicle turn signals work intermittently. The hazard lights, and turn signals will stop functioning going down the road, and will randomly start functioning again. Often in the middle of traffic I will be unable to signal because they have stopped functioning. I feel that this is very dangerous, as well as causes the vehicle's operator to inadvertently break traffic laws. I believe this exact problem was recalled in the same make, and model, but an earlier year. I think that the recall should be expanded to cover later model years, because the issue continued into the later model years. A simple internet search will show that this is a major problem with this vehicle, and many owners of this make and model have experienced it.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Jan 022011

The signal does not work all the time and if someone is backing up and they can't see you the honk does not work. People do not know that you are trying to turn back turning signal is not work at all times.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Apr 012010

The contact owns a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact attempted to start the vehicle but it would not start. The vehicle was towed to two independent mechanics but the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle had not been repaired. After allowing the vehicle to sit for a day, the contact was able to successfully start it. The failure occurred again. The contact also stated that the turn signals intermittently did not function. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where the turn signal bulbs were replaced but the failure continues. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Jun 012009

I own a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero. Recently, the turn signal and hazard lights work intermittently, occasionally, or sometimes not at all. I have viewed several complaints of owners via the internet with the same problem. I was informed via the makers of my vehicle that the year my vehicle was made, the problem, "if any" were fixed. I found that there had been work orders to allow the years before 2004 Oldsmobile Alero to be fixed free of charge for this same malfunction. I have called several part providers, and this part is unavailable. I have contacted the dealer, and for "fee", they first have to look at the vehicle, before they can tell me if they are able to get the part and if they can fix it. This is not only unsafe for me as a driver, but also for drivers and pedestrians who may be unsure of my turning intentions. Also, in the event I am stranded in my vehicle, I can't used my hazard lights. My vehicle as a whole is in great working condition, and I have no intentions of needing to replace it, just because of the turning signals. I feel that the problem was never fixed, and from the previous free services given for the other models, we who own the 2004 models are having to pay out of pocket, so they can regroup the previous free work given. This is very frustrating as a consumer. Please help. Thank you in advance for your diligence, in product and public safety.

- Del City, OK, USA

Aug 102008

The turn signal is broken. Makes noise when in a neutral, not on, position. Hazard switch solder joint is cracking causing the turn signal to only work intermittently.

- Austin, TX, USA