NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Pontiac G5 (Page 1 of 2)

2.0

2007 Pontiac G5 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G5:

2007 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 252016

G5

The vehicle has a strong smell of gas but it doesn't have a recall for the gas tank that previous models have had. The auto mechanic stated that it was a problem from the dealership and that it may have been recalled for possible gas leak around the tank.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Jan 302016

G5

I have leaks in my fuel line and gas tank. One of the leaks is right beside the exhaust system. I know this was cause for recall I'm some states. Why not all states. It's a serious hazard and should be covered under a recall. There's fuel leaking onto the ground.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Mar 312015

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving approximately 65 mph, an abnormal fuel odor entered the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump was cracked and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

Apr 012016

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact noticed fuel leaking from the rear driver side tire. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel line rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Jan 012016

G5

I have a fuel line leak between the driver side door and the rear wheel well. The check engine light is on at the engine is difficult to start. Now there is fuel leaking onto the ground. I would like to know if this will be covered under a recall.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Oct 022015

G5

On October 2, 2015 when I picked up my vehicle, I asked shawn thomas if they had reprogramed my door to work with the new ignition cylinder that was replaced last time it was in for that recall. When I picked up my car from that recall service, they gave me my original Pontiac key and 2 new keys to the ignition. When I dripped it off for the most recent recall (fuel pump leak, fuel tank leak), I was told they should have reprogramed my doors to go with the new ignition and they would do that while it was in this time. It was on my receipt that they did reprogram but they did not. They made me another key for the ignition (not sure why I would need another ignition key. So now I have 3 ignition keys and 2 door keys (5 total keys) and 2 key fobs with remote start that was a feature that I had purchased originally when purchasing my car that no longer work since the ignition cylinder had to be replaced. When I asked shawn if it was reprogramed he told me yes that is what the receipt said. When I got to my car, it clearly had not been reprogramed and when I went in to ask shawn about it, he went and called the ┐manager┐ who said that they talked to me and told me that there would be a charge if they reprogramed it. I never had this conversation and the recall clearly states that they will reprogram my doors to go with my ignition and the fobs should be programed for remote start as well as that is a feature I had. Shawn told me it would be 2 hours labor because they have to take door panel apart and it was $165/hr. That would be $357.23 with tax for something there should not be a charge for under recall. Please see recall information attached.

- Midland, TX, USA

Aug 142015

G5

A few months ago I started to smell fuel after I parked my car and noticed a leak in the lines. The lines were indeed rusted out and I had them replaced. Now a few days ago I noticed it again but this time it was coming from the fuel tank. I saw that there was a recall for this problem, however I am not in one of the states that it was issued in. This is a big problem and I have seen a lot of people online complaining about this issue and the recall should be nationwide as it is a rather large safety concern.

- New Lexington, OH, USA

Jan 012015

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the vehicle fuel pump failed. The contact noticed that a strong fuel odor emitted from the vehicle and fuel leaked onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump tube fractured causing the fuel to leak. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Gulf Breeze , FL, USA

Jul 232015

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed that there was fuel leaking from the fuel tank and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jan 072015

G5

After shutting off vehicle, the cooling fans would engage. They would continue to run for 15-20 mins regardless of engine temp or run time. This was the first indication that something was wrong. Shortly after that the car would not start due to lack of power from battery. I had a diagnostic check run on system that showed that most parts of the electrical system had some type of error or another. I replaced the battery due to a bad cell and re-ran diagnostic. Shows that the computer was not operating correctly which was tripping the rest of the error messages. Would this be a factory defect for the computer?

- Graham , TX, USA

Dec 172014

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the fuel lines were corroded causing fuel to leak. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel rail needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Waterford , MI, USA

Sep 072014

G5 4-cyl

I noticed a strong gas smell while the vehicle was off and while driving. I took it to a repair shop and they said I have a gas leak. I see that there was a recall for gas leaks in warm weather states for a gas leak issue. I live in Colorado and was never notified of the issue. I think it may be related to the recall.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Sep 142014

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted in and around the vehicle. The contact mentioned that there was fuel leak on top of the fuel tank. The contact inspected the vehicle and diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced due to a crack. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 143,500.

- Wilson , VA, USA

Aug 302014

G5 4-cyl

The plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module cracked, which caused a fuel leak.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Dec 012013

G5

Seems to me searching online its a common thing to have the gas tank crack. There are a bunch of recalls already for the car one including the fuel system but they will only replace the gas pump which had to be replaced because it was defective but wanted to charge over 1,000 for the cracked fuel tank which by the way how does that happen on a pretty recent car and I am not alone. The smell its pretty strong and I am sure its not safe been looking for one through junkers because I cant afford the 1000 for something that came defective.

- Moca, PR, USA

Aug 082013

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the vehicle was leaking fuel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the fuel pump was leaking and there was a hole in the fuel tank. As a result, the fuel tank and fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Dec 042013

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the a gasoline odor was present from the rear of the vehicle. The contact responded to NHTSA campaign number 09V419000(fuel system) by taking the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the defect was not related to the recall campaign. The contact was told that the fuel odor was caused by a fracture in the fuel tank. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Aug 252013

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, he noticed fuel leaking from the vehicle and onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the failure was contributed to a faulty fuel pump. The vehicle was repaired. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline) and the vehicle was not included because it was not sold or registered in the states mentioned in the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Willowbrook, IL, USA

Nov 012012

G5 4-cyl

The vehicle started smelling like gas, but I didn't notice any puddles or leaking. I took the vehicle to a mechanic who confirmed there was a leak near the fuel pump, and had to replace the part right away due to the potential fire hazard. After doing some research, it appears this vehicle did have a recall in a few states nearby for a faulty return port on the fuel pump, which could cause a fuel leak. Based on this information, and the potential for fire and/or injury, I feel additional investigations are warranted into vehicles located in other states.

- Strafford, MO, USA

Dec 222011

G5

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the vehicle was in an accident and when it was being repaired it was found that there was leak coming from the top of the fuel tank. The contact was directed to contact the manufacturer in regards to NHTSA recall campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told the vehicle was not included. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 100,000.

- Washington, DC, USA