NHTSA — Seats Problems

2007 Pontiac Solstice accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Solstice:

2007 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments

Sep 282014

Solstice 4-cyl

07 - gxp currently 46K miles. I turn my car on one day after cleaning it at home and I am greeted with a message on my display saying service air bag and four rapid audible chimes. That passenger seat never had anyone more than the weight of an average human on it. This is a safety concern for any passenger in my vehicle yet I am forced to deal with it unless I fork over close to $1000 at the dealer. Other vehicle makes have been rewarded a recall for similar issues, but not for Pontiac/Saturn!!! come on! it's not our fault they phased out. I am afraid to have a passenger in my car in fear of their safety. I used to love having a passenger with me with the top down enjoying life and the fun of this car - as it was built for. Fix this mess please....for all of us Solstice/sky owners and future owners. Thank you!

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the passenger seat sensor activated when the seat was unoccupied. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic where the diagnosis was the same. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Feb 292016

My passenger airbag sensor system stopped working without any cause resulting in a "service airbag" warning on the dic in the dash. Searching forums for all varieties of the GM kappa platform (Saturn sky, opel GT, and Pontiac Solstice) it appears this failure is happening to every single vehicle made with this system and is not caused by usual wear, or any sort of mistreatment of the device or the car - it is a clear manufacturing defect. GM holds your car hostage for $1000 to fix this problem when the part can be obtained from europe for $99 - disgusting. In my case, the car sat in the garage over the winter, and upon getting in the car this spring to start it, the warning light came on, the last time the car was driven the light was not on, and no-one has touched the passenger seat since, so the problem was not caused by abuse or wear it is simply a defective part that fails for no reason after some period of time.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 112016

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. While in park, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the modular in the front passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 04/07/16

- St James, NY, USA

Jan 102014

The occupant module sensor (GM part #19124219) located in the passenger seat failed after only 52,000 miles. This module, when faulty, cuts off the passenger airbag restraint system.this is a safety issue. In the lifetime of ownership I only had a passenger in the seat approx 20% of the time so wear is not the issue.on further checking of the 40+ Solstice owners I know, most have the problem.the replacement cost for parts labor and recalibration is between $500 to $800. Most owners ignore it and the fact that half the airbags will not deploy in a crash because of cost. GM is aware of the problem part but apparently does not see it as a safety issue. A one time reprogramming to a "always on" state would be a cheap acceptable fix.

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Dec 012014

The passenger seat airbag sensor stopped working. It no longer sensing when a passenger is present in the passenger seat. This seems like a very dangerous problem since the airbag will not deploy on passenger side in a crash. It seems to be a common problem that is well documented, I believe GM should order a recall.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Solstice 4-cyl

This light has come on indicating no air bags. The vehicle was parked. I've taken it into the dealer for the recall on ignition switch and replacement keys. They charged me for the diagnosis of a defective passenger present sensor. The part will need to be ordered at a cost of $761 plus labor. My wife does not feel safe riding in the car now. Every Solstice on the forum board reports this same problem.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

May 052014

Every time I start my car, I'm told my air bags need to be serviced. My dealer says it's going to cost almost $900 to fix. After some doing some research online, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. The seat sensor mechanism is apparently defective and the cost to fix it is more than exorbitant. I'm also worried about putting myself and/or my passengers at risk because I don't have confirmedly information about whether or not the air bags are defective or not.

- College Station, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Solstice 4-cyl

The service air bag light is illuminated on the dash panel the airbag sensor for the passenger side does not change from on to off. It always remains lit off. I have researched the issue and there are numerous complaints relating to the passenger side air bag seat sensor failing. The part alone is over $300 and to have a dealer repair is over $700. Regardless, this is a safety issue and is widespread on Pontiac Solstice and Saturn sky models. GM has yet to issue recall for this issue. What are they waiting for? this seems similar in nature to the current recall for the ignition switch where up to 300 people have died. The issue does not clear itself and is always on the dash panel warning system.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

Dec 122013

Solstice 4-cyl

Service air bag light text appeared in dic on with child in seat after starting car. Now passenger air bag off lamp on with adult seat belted in seat.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

May 012013

Solstice 4-cyl

I had a passenger sit in my Pontiac Solstice and the air bag sensor started flashing on and off. The suddenly it stayed on and gave me a warning light. This is very dangerous because now all my passengers do not have a functioning air bag. I have seen countless owners on the Solstice forums also have the same issue.

- East Norriton, PA, USA

Oct 082013

Solstice 4-cyl

Airbag seat sensor fails to activate airbag and airbag warning light remains on indefinitely whether passenger is in passenger seat or not. Replacement cost nearly $900.

- Corvallis , OR, USA

Jun 202012

Solstice 4-cyl

Airbag light came on. Service air bag on the display. Contacted GM B0081 code. $900 to repair.

- Brookeville, MD, USA