NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Pontiac Solstice (Page 6 of 7)

2007 Pontiac Solstice seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Solstice:

2007 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Aug 072013

The passenger air bag has not been working for some time now. I took it to GM dealer and they could not give me a reason why the air bag is not working. GM said they could replace the part but it was not under warranty. Im trying to understand how many accidents need to occur before there is a recall for this issue.

- Newbraunfel, TX, USA

Dec 122013

Solstice 4-cyl

Service air bag light text appeared in dic on with child in seat after starting car. Now passenger air bag off lamp on with adult seat belted in seat.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

May 012013

Solstice 4-cyl

I had a passenger sit in my Pontiac Solstice and the air bag sensor started flashing on and off. The suddenly it stayed on and gave me a warning light. This is very dangerous because now all my passengers do not have a functioning air bag. I have seen countless owners on the Solstice forums also have the same issue.

- East Norriton, PA, USA

Sep 122013

Solstice 4-cyl

After starting my 2007 Solstice, the passenger air bag light did not come on, even though my wife was sitting in the passenger seat. This is a car that only had 21,139 miles on it, at the time of the first incident. Also, there air bag warning light is illuminated on the dash. I feel that such a safety item should not fail after only 21,139 miles...updated 12/17/13

- Manchester, CT, USA

Oct 082013

Solstice 4-cyl

Airbag seat sensor fails to activate airbag and airbag warning light remains on indefinitely whether passenger is in passenger seat or not. Replacement cost nearly $900.

- Corvallis , OR, USA

Jul 192013

Solstice 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the passenger's side air bag warning light erroneously illuminated while a passenger was present in the seat. The warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 12/26/13 the consumer stated the air bag light on the instrument cluster stayed on. The passenger side air bag readiness light on the dash indicated an off status constantly, regardless of the presence of a passenger.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Oct 152013

The passenger air bag sensor failed, this leaves the passenger unprotected in the event of an accident. This is the second time this has happened on my car. The first was on 5/18/2009 at 15501 miles and was replaced under warranty well this time the warranty has expired and it is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), by viewing the Solstice forum on-line it is apparent that this is a common problem and as a safety issue needs to be addressed by your Agency. The web site is: please investigate this issue and require GM to replace all defective units. Thank you

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Oct 132013

Solstice 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the air bag warning light and the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The contact also mentioned that he had researched the problem and found out that the passenger's side air bag senor was causing the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 42,481 updated 11/12/13

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 022013

Solstice 4-cyl

For years, the Pontiac Solstice air bag system has intermittently failed to detect passengers. Now the "passenger airbag off" light stays illuminated, and the airbag dash warning light also stays on. A GM service center reports the passenger airbag module needs to be replaced, at a cost in excess of $900.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 162013

Solstice 4-cyl

2007 Pontiac Solstice. Consumer writes in regards to passenger side air bag issues. The consumer recently, while driving with his wife, the passenger side air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the local dealer, where the problem was diagnosed as a faulty air bag seat module. The estimated cost to repair was approximately $1200. Updated 10/31/13

- Somers, CT, USA

Jun 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the passenger side air bag light illuminated while the passenger was in the seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the seat sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Fleming Island , FL, USA

Aug 062013

Solstice 4-cyl

My car suddenly brakes hard on it's own as I am slowing and gently applying brakes. It starts around 20 mph. It is very scary and dangerous. To have your car slam on it's brakes on it's own. I have heard that the powertrain/transmission can throw error codes P0700 and P2637 and that can cause the same sudden braking of the car on it's own. Also my coolant temperature gauge(digital) intermittently goes blank showing only three dashes instead of the temp. When it does this my air/heat will not work. My passenger door handle broke off. Also my airbag warning light will not go off. I also have a mysterious coolant leak but it's intermittent as well.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 302013

Solstice 4-cyl

Service passenger air bag lit up on display in dash at the same time passenger air bag light on dash went off and did not come back on I had dealer check this as the passenger air bag was now inoperative as I did not want my wife riding in this seat without it working properly. He informed me a sensor underneath the passenger seat was responsible for this failure. This seems to be a widespread problem as I have checked with several Solstice owners who have experienced same problems some with as low as 2300 miles on their vehicles thank you for your time.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 142013

In March of this year I purchased my second Pontiac. Today this vehicle displayed the same service message as my other Pontiac. The service air bag light has come on and stayed on. My other Pontiac has been coming on and off for months now, I can't afford the $750 it costs to replace the airbag on the first Pontiac is the main reason I still have the issues, but now my second Pontiac purchase is having the same error. This has to be an issue for more than just me. I do see that the air bag has already been recalled for my model but a different year. This appears to me to be more than one model issue. Thanks

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jul 092013

Solstice 4-cyl

Service airbag message displayed. I took it to a GM dealer and he told me the module was no good and needs to be replaced for $800. I believe with only 39000 miles GM should have a recall and pay for this repair.

- Putnam, CT, USA

Mar 012013

Solstice 4-cyl

Passenger airbag sensor indicates that it is "off" even when a passenger is present. Red airbag warning light is displayed on dash. After much research, there is an issue with the airbag sensor going out. This is apparently a costly repair that should not be on the shoulders of the owner! GM needs to issue a recall for the repair of this safety feature since it is so prevalent among Solstice owners. Is our safety not important?...

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

May 072012

My passenger airbag light came on indicating the airbag wasn't working. Diagnostic tool showed that the airbag sensor may be bad.

- Moodus, CT, USA

Jun 192013

Solstice 4-cyl

The passenger presence air bag control module in my vehicle failed at just over 11K miles. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. The owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 072013

Service airbag message appeared on lcd display, passenger airbag will not turn on when a passenger is in the seat. Because I was concerned with my daughters safety, I paid over $900 to have this repaired. This appears to be a common issue and should result in a recall due to its directly preventing the function of a crash safety system intended to save lives.

- Hernando , MS, USA

Apr 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the air bag sensor would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,000.

- Sandston, VA, USA