NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Pontiac Solstice (Page 1 of 7)

2007 Pontiac Solstice seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Solstice:

2007 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 272016

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. Whenever there was a passenger in the front seat, the air bag indicator failed to illuminate. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Aug 202016

After normal city driving for about 10 minutes on August 20th, 2016 with a passenger in the car, the car's dic displayed "service air bag" and chimed. The passenger airbag indicator switched from "on" to "off". my wife was in the passenger seat, sitting normally. At the time, the vehicle was traveling roughly 45 mph in 4th gear on a highway. We did not hit any pothole or similar impact immediately prior to the issue. Everything operated normally otherwise. It is my understanding that at least the passenger airbag will no longer operate. Nucar Chevrolet in new castle, de was unsure as to whether both driver and passenger airbags are no longer operating or if only the passenger no longer operates. The failure occurred while driving with a passenger and the car is in otherwise fantastic mechanical condition. This means that regardless of how well I take care of my car, or how careful I am with its safety devices, if I had been involved in an accident on that particular trip my wife's airbag would not have functioned. The warning indicating that my wife's airbag was not operating did not show up until we had already been driving for 10 minutes. I immediately drove home to drop her off, but for those tense moments she was not safe.

- Bear, DE, USA

Sep 022016

While parked and idling, my 110 pd. Wife sat in the passenger seat and the "service airbag" indicator message came on the message center and the "airbag warning" light is now on the dashboard "passenger airbag off" light is lit. Based on research on this site and a local GM dealer, this is a universal problem with the "ppm" module in the seat. Because of the failure of this part, the passenger is not protected in the event of a crash. My vehicle has less than 28,000 miles on it.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Sep 072015

In 2015 I had my oil changed at the local GM dealer, and the check airbag light was on in my dash when I picked up my car. The service manager said he would "look into" this and call me back at ph 727-647-9110. I had to later call. The air bag sensor in my vehicle failed within a month after the GM bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. My local GM dealer tells me this is very common for this vehicle, even though I told them prior to the expiration, trying to get get a service appointment. Then they told me they would not honor as time expired. Now as they want almost a thousand dollars, my passenger is in dire risk of the eminent danger of an injury if an accident occurs, and I am in a position of risk. I was informed GM knew of the airbag failures that were occurring on 2007 GM models.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Aug 072016

The indicator screen on the dash board is reading service airbag required. There is also a message reading passenger airbag off. Vehicle was parked in driveway when messages appeared.

- Boonton Twp., NJ, USA

Jul 252016

Passenger airbag sensor failed with passenger in vehicle disabling airbag system

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Sep 282014

Solstice 4-cyl

07 - gxp currently 46K miles. I turn my car on one day after cleaning it at home and I am greeted with a message on my display saying service air bag and four rapid audible chimes. That passenger seat never had anyone more than the weight of an average human on it. This is a safety concern for any passenger in my vehicle yet I am forced to deal with it unless I fork over close to $1000 at the dealer. Other vehicle makes have been rewarded a recall for similar issues, but not for Pontiac/Saturn!!! come on! it's not our fault they phased out. I am afraid to have a passenger in my car in fear of their safety. I used to love having a passenger with me with the top down enjoying life and the fun of this car - as it was built for. Fix this mess please....for all of us Solstice/sky owners and future owners. Thank you!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 012016

The bag in this car was already worked on for a recall that I believe involved a switch. Now it appears that the car is no longer sensing the passenger. No matter that well over 100 pounds is in the passenger seat, the passenger air bag remains off.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Jul 232016

I have a 2007 Solstice. 56,000 miles. Service airbag message and warning light are on. It first appeared on a very hot day and soon went off for about 5 minutes and then came back on. I began researching the problem only to find out that there are thousands of people experiencing the same problem. I hope no one dies riding with me.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 012016

This is the second time I got the code B0081 and need the sensor replaced. It is on at all times

- Newnan, GA, USA

May 052015

After further research and review, the passenger airbag sensor in the seat cushion has failed due to horrible design. Many others have filed a complaint and have had no recall. Please help as we as owners have to continue paying for this issue, some even more than once.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 082016

Service air bags light up bad sensor light stays on while driving.

- Bonner Springs, KS, USA

Jul 082016

Passenger airbag is off when passenger in seat. Not sensing passenger.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA

Jun 282016

We are getting a warning that the passenger seat belt module needs servicing. I went to the local dealer and they said the module needs replaced. The vehicle has 25100 miles on it and I see on the internet there are lots of folks with the same problem.

- Royal Center, IN, USA

May 282016

My instrument panel is reading service passenger airbag is affecting me to be able to see my odometer reading, I have two Pontiac Solstice cars and they both have the same problem. I have friends with the same vehicle and they are getting the same reading on their cars, I don't know if the airbag is just going to go off on its own one day or not go off in an accident, this should be a recall issue.

- Dania, FL, USA

May 132016

Service air bag light has come on and will not go off. Can't recall if the light came on during motion or not.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Mar 152016

This is a serious issue that's needs to be addressed, so many of the Solstice's and sky's are being affected by this. I for one don't want to have any of my passengers killed in a wreck because of the air bag. The passenger air bag sensor is over $800 to fix, this makes it hard on low income drivers to fix the issue, when it should be a GM recall in the first place.

- Leighton, AL, USA

Apr 302016

Vehical was taken to the dealership on 05/13/2016 due to indicator lights that stated the passenger air bag was not functioning. The vehical has been maticulously maintained and only had 31,911 miles effective 05/13/2016. "dealer scan and analysis found that the dtc 1063 diaged per si as an internally shorted ppm". basically, this was a permanent failure of the ppm manufactured by iee in luxembourg, germany. The only repair option was to replace with a new seat cushion containing an integrated ppm. This was at a proposed cost of $818.35 including all taxes, since the vehical was no longer covered by waranty. There is enough documentation in various data bases, including a recent request to NHTSA to consider this a safety recall issue. Mr. Troy lyman's request documents significant failures in the Pontiac soltice and Saturn sky vehicals, and provides a compelling rational for NHTSA to initiate an investigation. The failure was first noticed approximately 2 weeks before taking it into the dealer. I waw taking the car to the car wash, and when I started the car before leaving the garage, a warning message appeared on my dash cluster. It could be reset; however, would appear again each time the car was started. I did some research for this failure prior to taking in to the dealer. When I agreed to have the dealer fix the failure, I also requested that he provide me with the failed part. I subsequently took the failed seat cushion apart to see if I could see any breaks in the ppm that would cause a short. I could see nothing as apparent as I had seen in the online research regarding this issue. My opinion is that something is definitely inferior with the ppm that is causing this failure. I will attach some pictures of the failed seat cushion ppm. I would also provide the actual failed product upon your request.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 072015

The sensor that tells if the seat is occupied has malfunctioned causing the airbag light to remain on and impair the operation of the airbag system.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Apr 102016

My Pontiac Solstice - like 1000S of others - recently experienced the passenger airbag failure. This failure is a 'known deficiency' that GM has yet to recognize and address. This failure prevents the passenger (and maybe even the driver-side) airbag from deploying placing the passengers at great risk! the failure tends to occur after the warranted period is over thus costing the owner $1000 to replace. Many owners cannot afford such a cost and so do not get the part replaced - placing the passengers at risk! this is a known problem and an obvious safety issue. I would submit given the prevalence of this issue that it is a larger safety issue than the ignition switch recall which was really caused by the few owners who carried the weight of a bowling ball on their key chain. It's about time this 'safety organization' brought this to the attention of GM and GM corrected this deficiency as part of a recall! the takata recall is being completed on millions of vehicles due to the possibility of an airbag deployment hurting/killing the passenger. Here - with this Solstice issue - the airbag won't deploy at all. Isn't that even worse?

- West New York, NJ, USA