NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

4.9

2009 Pontiac Solstice seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac Solstice:

2009 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments

Dec 012015

Solstice

Air bag sensor for passenger seat went out with just over 30,000 miles on car. Everyone whom I know with a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn sky has had the same problem. This issue disables the passenger air bag and makes it unsafe for passenger to ride in car. Sensor in seat went out while driving with my wife in the seat. She weighs 125 pounds so it was not a loading issue.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Mar 132016

Solstice

Passenger seat airbag sensor has failed. Out of warranty repair is very expensive and puts my passengers at extreme risk in the event of an accident.

- Whitestown, IN, USA

Nov 222015

Solstice

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the passenger's side air bag warning light failed to illuminate on but remained off, when a passenger was in the front seat. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the passenger presence module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Sep 082015

Solstice

I was driving my car throughout the day and while parked at a light, the "service airbag" warning light appeared on my dash, and has remained illuminated ever since. It is not the fuse, and it does not matter if someone is in the passenger seat or not. (Solstices have a light that illuminates when someone is in passenger seat saying that the passenger airbag is on, because the sensor detects a passenger.)

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Solstice

Service air bag notice displayed, red air bad warning idiot light on and the passenger air bag indicator light shows off even though a passenger was in the seat. Tried powering the car off and on with same result. This is a major safety issue is the passenger is not protected while riding in the vehicle. I have since read that many reports of the same issue have been reported and no safety recalls have been issued.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Apr 212015

Solstice

The passenger seat airbag weight sensor has failed on my Solstice. The passenger airbag is not currently functional due to this issue. This issue is effecting every single Solstice and sky built by GM from 2006-2010. The dealerships are charging nearly $1,000 to replace the sensors on these cars and most customers are choosing not to replace them due to high cost. The same issue was recalled on Cadillac cts models built in the same time period. The part was manufactured by the same company involved in the Cadillac recall. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed. If it has not already been the cause of serious injury or death; it is only a matter of time. The negligence of these auto companies needs to stop. This is a 100% effected issue, where every one of these cars will experience this failure. That would mean there are potentially 100,000 vehicles driving around without functional passenger airbag sensors. Please do something about this and hole these criminals accountable.

- Norman, OK, USA

Oct 132014

Solstice

My Solstice is part of the ignition recall id # 102546 - electrical system:ignition:switch. During the repair of the ignition switch replaced Oct 13 2014.and after the car was brought out to me I noticed the passenger air bag sensor light had came on. I notified the dealer that the light was on they ran a diagnoses and determined that the airbag sensor GM module kit had failed in the passenger seat and that neither side airbag will deploy should I have an accident. I'm told by the dealer that it will cost me $900 to replace part number 19124219. My response was that I would be contact GM about this as it was not an issue before the repair of the ignition recall. After contacting GM they contacted the dealer and said that they would be willing to pay a part of the cost, how much I was never told. As with others that have report the same problem, my complaint is that the faulty ignition has a direct affect on the proper operation and safety of the airbags. Not to mention that it will not pass a state inspection until this is repaired. Had I not brought the car in for the faulty ignition I would have been able to get it inspected and been able to continue to drive it. As of now if I don't pay the fee for this repair the vehicle is rendered useless and unsafe. And my investment is worthless except for parts I feel GM should be responsible for the replacement of the faulty sensor at their cost. I have read in several forums that this is a known problem and that something as easy as placing a knee on the seat can cause the sensor to fail this is a design flaw and GM needs to take responsibility before someone is killed in an accident because the air bags did not deploy!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Solstice

My Solstice is part of the ignition recall. Passenger air bag sensor light has been on since Aug. 2014. Ignition replaced today 10/8/14. Dealership says that I have a faulty airbag sensor in the passenger seat and that neither side airbag will deploy should I have an accident. First I'm told it will cost me $800 to replace. My response was that I would be contacting GMC about this. Then I'm told to hold off that they would put their "GMC calculator" on it and let me know what GMC says. A few minutes later I get a call saying that GMC would cover $500 of the $800 charge. My complaint is that the faulty ignition has a direct affect on the proper operation of the airbags. This car is only 5 years old. In 2010 I had to have the ignition replaced "while it was still under warranty" because the car wouldn't turn off after turning the ignition to off. The second faulty ignition has now affected the safe operation of my airbags which, should I have an accident, the driver airbag will not even open. I feel GMC should be responsible for the replacement of the faulty sensor. Should something happen to me before this is accomplished, I have escalated this information to my family and legal counsel.

- Jasper, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Solstice 4-cyl

Air bag fault light came on, took it to the dealer, they advised it was the sensor module in the passenger seat has failed no recalls and no warranty. This is a safety issue on a part that has failed on every Solstice I am aware of, this needs to be a recall by GM or do more people have to get injured before they do what is right! seems to be a money grab by the dealers as they charge $900 + when the part is a $ 350 item not impressed by GM.

- Calais, ME, USA

Jul 102014

Solstice 4-cyl

Service air bags alert on the dic when car is turned on.

- Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jun 122014

Solstice 4-cyl

Service SRS light came on, faulty airbag sensors in passenger seat. Very common failure for kappa vehicles. Very expensive repair.

- Freeland, MI, USA

May 072014

Solstice 4-cyl

Rear diff has leak after 22000 miles the same as the 06/07's. check airbag light randomly turns on while driving at various speeds.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 302013

Solstice 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated and the passenger front air bag erroneously deactivated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 8,432. Updated 6/10/14 the consumer stated when she returned to the dealer for the third time, she was informed problem was a kinked wire in the steering column. The light stayed off, until April 2014. Onstar diagnostic determined the passenger seat sensor module was defective. The consumer paid $683 to have the air bag sensor in the passenger seat replaced.updated 07/22/14

- Pass Christian, MS, USA

Sep 092013

Solstice

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated the air bag warning light was illuminated while driving 45 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that there was no diagnosis. The warning light was reset. The manufacture was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 19,000. The vehicle current mileage was 20,500.

- Lake Grove, NY, USA

Sep 302013

Solstice 4-cyl

Purchased used 2009 Solstice on 9/30/13. Previous problem with previous owner but mossy motors, new orleans, la said most likely minor problem. Any time brakes are applied or moving 0 to 70 miles per hour the service air bag light comes on many times intermittently, along with the red warning seatbelt light. I do not know if it is driver or passenger. I do know that previous owner had same problem as per car fax. I am unsure if mossy motors in new orleans will fix it. Small car without airbag protection and seatbelt default spells fatality in serious accident. GM should have to recall this car as they have recalled some 300,000 for like air bag/seatbelt defaults. The internet discussions for like Solstice problems is incredibly high with repair costs that are not affordable. Please do as your web page states and investigate this safety hazard.

- Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jun 202013

Solstice 4-cyl

Received a "service air bag" notice on the dash. It is not triggered every time the car runs but in reading forums to research the problem, there seems to be an bigger issue dating back to 2011. More and more Solstice and Saturn sky car owners are asking this same question. The problem seems to be a passenger seat sensor control unit under the seat but the fix is more expensive than the seat. Any recall for this would be safer for my family and others as well. Thank you

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 152013

Solstice 4-cyl

Passenger seat airbag sensor not functioning. Service airbag warning stays on as well as idiot light on dash. Light on dash indicates passenger airbag is not activated. Traveling along freeway and sensor appeared to be working fine and then lights and warning went on. Continued traveling and one time it started functioning and then went out again after maybe five minutes. Traveled an additional 4,000 miles, because we were on vacation, and my wife did not and does not have the security of having her airbag functional.

- Linden, MI, USA

Dec 102011

Solstice 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated the air bag warning off indicator illuminated when a front seat passenger was present and the occupant's weight was 125 pounds. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the front seat sensor was replaced. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician performed a diagnostic test in which a trouble code was not detected; however the failure was duplicated involving the air bag indicator malfunction. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they stated that the vehicle operated normally. The approximate failure mileage was 29,700. Updated 11/28/12 the consumer stated the failure occurred at the dealership when the employee/advisor was asked to sit in the passenger seat and the air bag on/off signaled off. Updated

- Bolivia, NC, USA