2004 Porsche 911 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Porsche 911:

2004 Porsche 911 Owner Comments

Oct 112013

The M96 motor supplied with this vehicle line has had the following problems. Engine block leaks the block is porous. Resleeved cylinders were maker fix, the sleeves moved causing engine destruction. A main crankshaft bearing was designed out. Allowing the crankshaft to move frt to back and with gravity causing a failure of the rear main seal could not fix if crank had moved more than a few degrees from orig spec.primary problem ims( intermediate shaft) failure. Result, complete destruction of motor. No fix from manufacture. After market only supply. Over ten thousand after market repairs done.conservative apx cost $,3000 I have much more evidence.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Oct 062013

911 6-cyl

My GT3 has cooling pipe on the engine external to the block. I have read this is a systemic issue with the engine used in GT3 and turbos (metzger motor). A fitting comes loose due to adhesive failure resulting I loss of all or most of the coolant fluid. The repair requires engine removal and repair of the fittings. There is some issue as to the proper or best repair approach. What is know is that the adhesive failure is almost sure to occur. I have been lucky as I have few miles on my vehicle and have not yet experienced this failure, but very concerned this will occur and the sudden loss of coolant fluid will most like result in a spinout or crash. Even if no accident were to result, I am out of normal warranty, this failure will set me back $1500-2000. I have followed reports of the numerous failures of these fittings on As I have not yet had a failure, I still want to register my concern should there be a NHTSA directed recall to Porsche.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Mar 012008

The event happened in 2008. Purchased Porsche GT 3 from Porsche dealer in 2006. Accelerating onto a limited access highway from an entrance ramp the car made a violent fishtail movement in a counterclocwise direction causing a 180 deg. Spin. I tried to correct but no response and then applied brakes heavily but car continued its movement eventually hitting a concrete barrier in the right rear. The car had to be towed and eventually totaled by the insurance company. At the impact site I did notice fluid on the road and also back up the road. Since my wife was injured and needed to be taken to the hospital, I was more focused on tending to her but as I look back and also reading about the coolant problems this car is having I would not be surprised if this car had a discharge of cooling fluid. As a side note, I do hold a competition drivers license with the scca and have competed for over 30 years and have owned Porsche for over 40 years. I presently own another 2004 GT 3 and very concerned about this problem. ## VIN failed ##

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Oct 312007

The above car has a factory water cooling system that involves aluminum piping that is epoxied into the block after approximately 24 months of use the epoxy fails and all the coolant is evacuated from the system all over the engine and the ground the motor could seize and the coolant on the road in that volume creates a dangerous situation for other drivers.the epoxy fix offered by Porsche failed 3 times for me (twice more subsequently)until I had a shop weld the aluminum pipes to the block. ## VIN failed ##

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Nov 242012

The coolant lines are glued in by factory to save costs. However the glue is failing and the coolant lines pop out and anti freeze is dumped everywhere causing an unsafe condition. Porsche is aware of their problem but doing mothing about recalling older cars to be repaired. I paid to repair my car independently but Porsche owners are being encouraged to report this safery issue.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA