2. flash radio (1 reports)
2013 Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ram 1500:

2013 Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 212015

1500 Sport Crew Cab 5.7L V8 Hemi

Radio was dark when I started the truck up in the morning. No warning that there was an issue. Radio is important but this also is my backup camera and controls for tempature in the vehicle. One of the main reasons why I purchased the vehicle.

Took to dealer to get an assessment and they told me to bring it back as a new radio was ordered. Took it back on a Friday morning in hopes that the radio would be shipped. Called at 2 pm to find out no radio and dealer gave me a loaner vehicle. Found out Wednesday that the dealer could not give me a date when the radio would be in for replacement. Returned loaner and picked up truck. I have asked on several occasions what the cost will be without a response.

Worried that I am going to be stuck with a bill for something that may work for another year and a half then go dark. This is ridiculous that RAM and the third party manufacturer of the component can get this right. Should be a recall. It is a shame because the truck has been great outside of this major issue.

- , Holly Springs, NC, USA

Jan 292015

1500 Express Quad 4X4 5.7L

click to see larger images

radio not working properly

Intermittently, my radio display won't update when the song changes or I change stations when using SIRIUS, and when I change stations to try to get it working, it will change but the display stays on the previous channel and the radio won't let me change back to the previous channel. It gave me what I think is an error code on the display (attached in the picture). I first noticed it last year, and took in to the dealer last November. They first tried to flash the radio, and ended up replacing it after the flash didn't resolve the problem. It continued to have the problem after the radio was replaced. I just dropped it off again this morning to see what they say about it this time.

I also talked to Chrysler about it, and was given a customer complaint number for it. Chrysler told me they had no record of anyone else having a similar issue, yet I see complaints on this site of the same problem on similar trucks. I don't know if there's any correlation, but I notice that certain functions on the dash display don't always work like they should. The cruise control will sometimes not show me the speed it's set at until I back out to the menu and choose the previous function again. There's something screwy going on with the electronics on these trucks.

Update from Feb 5, 2015: The service department has had my truck for four days now. Chrysler told them to replace the radio again, so three radios total now. They don't have a clue what's causing the problem.

Update from Feb 6, 2015: I picked the truck up yesterday, without a new radio. They hadn't called me with any updates, so I dropped by at lunchtime. The radio was expected in yesterday morning, but never arrived. When they called Chrysler to find out where it was, Chrysler stated that there was such a backorder for the radio that they couldn't provide a delivery date. They said that if I was lucky, I might see one around the end of March, but it could take until JULY! My warranty will expire before I get the new radio, and then it won't be covered when it fails again. I'm very disappointed and angry! I complained to Chrysler yesterday afternoon, and was told that a uconnect case manager would call me. I've received no calls from them, and they haven't responded to my voicemail messages.

The dealership hasn't been able to duplicate the problem with the radio either, but I was able to catch it on video yesterday afternoon and show it to them. I'd like to upload it here if possible, and am looking forward to showing it to Chrysler.

Their logistics problems with the radio, which should have resulted in a recall, are not my problem. I've told them I expect to get a new radio ASAP, even if it means having to upgrade what's in the truck to something they have available.

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Oct 092013

1500 Laramie 5.7L

Very poor radio reception & lots of static. Worst radio I have ever had. Would not have purchased truck had I known about the radio. Very dissatisfied with radio. Sirius XM radio works fine. FM radio is problem

- , Brush Creek, TN, USA

Mar 022014

1500 5.7L Hemi

Been to the dealership 7 times and it finally just stopped working, screen is black. no radio or back up cam.

- , Kelowna, British Columbia, canada

Dec 282013

1500 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

I bought this truck new at the start of September. After about a month of driving, I started noticing problem one. Transmission. Shortly after that, the windshield sprung a leak. That required a dealer visit. But what has happened recently takes the cake. Friday, the back up camera stopped working. The screen turned different colors and flashed vertical lines when the truck was in reverse. I wasn't too concerned, figured it could be fixed at my next oil change appointment. Saturday, the radio started acting up. Turning on and off on its own. Random and frequent. Because this started after business hours, I figured I'd let the dealership know about it on Monday. Sunday morning, with the radio still turning on and off, the truck itself turned off at 110 km/h on the highway, then turned back on. After restarting, the wipers were on full, fan was on full, and every dash light was lit up. I pulled over, turned the truck off, and that was it. Dead. No power to the key switch. It's at the dealer now, but being Holliday season, might not get looked at for a few days

Update from Jan 5, 2014: Loose wire connection near the brake pedal was all it was. Dealership said it wasn't connected right from factory.

- , Parry Sound, ON, canada

Oct 262013

1500 Outdoorsman V8

Five days after having my second radio flashed to have all issues fixed, it acted up again. The radio completely froze. The truck had to be shut off to get the radio working again. Dropping it off to the dealer for the 8th time since Feb!!!! Trying to get this piece of crap Lemon Lawed, but as usual Chrysler is being a typical corporation and expressing their lack of care

Oct 202013

1500 Outdoorsman V8

This is the second stereo that I have had in the truck. The screen would not update when a new station button was selected. It was saying it was on a hard rock station while country was playing etc. Took it to the dealer and the flashed it to fix the problem

Oct 072013

1500 LT V6

Radio will sometimes just quit working. Was told is a common problem so they are flashing the radio tomorrow. HOpe this fixes it. Why don't they recall and fix all of them if this is a known common issue?

- , West Chester, OH, USA

Oct 082013

1500 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

radio has black screen

Bought the Ram 1500 the 28th of Sept. Eleven days later the radio is all screwed up! No matter what button you push, all you see is the Ram Logo.... can't change radio station or play a cd either!! Wish I'd known about this site before I bought this pickup! Is my 4th Dodge Ram. Seems like the newer they are, the more problems we have!!!!!

- , Sisseton, S.D, USA

Sep 012013

1500 1500 5.7L

Radio became frozen, only 2400 miles. I brought the truck back to the dealer, and was told that they needed to order a new radio. Know 4 weeks later, they still don't even know when it will come in. There attitude and the way they are taking care off it shows they could care less.

- , Attleboro, MA, USA

Aug 042013

1500 SLE 5.7L

The radio went out on Sunday, took it to the dealer and I was told the module was bad. The module was ordered and installed one week later, this did not fix the problem. Now a new radio was ordered and there seams to be a shortage of the system. I'm still waiting on week 5 with no radio, no Bluetooth or Sirrius XM that I paid for.

- , Dallas, GA, USA

Jan 222013

1500 Express 5.7L

Radio will not shut off when door is opened after key is turned off. All other aux power functions discontinue upon opening the door just not the radio. (will drain the battery if not noticed).

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Jul 232013

1500 Outdoorsman V8

The stereo two weeks after purchase got a black screen which lasted for about four hours, the truck was restarted many times but it still would not go away. About 5 months after that the stereo started acting up again, the volume could not be turned up all the way and the black screens started showing up again. Also when my ipod was plugged in i could hear my phone music through the speakers but the screen showed it was on XM radio and it would not change back. Took it into the dealer and they said the stereo broke and it needed a new one, which arrived today. 6th time in the shop for issues since February (28 business days)....total POS

Jan 302013

1500 Laramie V8 Hemi

Same problem as before. Satellite,radio,aux,bluetooth and flip every min. Still seeing code" memory system unavailable" Chrysler says it will be fixed by February 23,2013 and that will leave me without a truck for 26 days.i bought it on dec19/2012 and it has and will be in the shop for 37 days since new. Come on Chrysler get your act together. Nothing works electronically. They believe if they fix the radio it will solve all of my issues. No one gives you satisfaction.

Update from Feb 20, 2013: I was told yesterday that the parts will be here march 1/2013 I changes weekly.

Update from Feb 23, 2013: Well it's february23 and now it will be march 1/2013 until it's fixed.

- , Brantford, Ontario, canada