NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

1.9

2008 Saab 9-3 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saab 9-3:

2008 Saab 9-3 Owner Comments

Nov 202013

9-3

I first noticed a difference in how my car worked about a year and a half ago. I purchased it certified pre-owed from a certified Saab dealer at the time. When I first noticed the "cold-starts" I thought it was just normal wear and tear and maybe needed an oil change. I always use premium gasoline and get the vehicle serviced regularly by the dealer. When I took it to the dealer in the beginning of 2014, the technician said he's familiar with the problem that I was having. He says the issue is with the compression valve. He told me that I was "unlucky" that I purchased this car because Saab manufactured 2007-2009 9-3 model engines where the valves were made of weaker metals that when surrounding metals. As the edges of the valves impact the engine walls, their original convex designed became concave, thus causing a loss in pressure and combustion. (I'm not an engine savvy guy, so please excuse my lact of terminology). So, he quoted me about $3,000 for a valve replacement. That's rediculousness! how can GM produce a vehicle whose valves will deteriorate after normal wear and tear? this has led to not only cold starts but also decreased responsiveness on the highway. Sometimes when driving, I would apply the accelerator and my car shakes for a few seconds. When giving a ride to others they look at me like, "that's not supposed to happen." My car hasn't stalled or shut off while driving, but I'm guessing if I don't get this fixed soon it may happen. There is a safety issue that I'm sure GM is aware of; accordingly, there needs to be a recall to get this issue resolved.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 032015

9-3

On the 2007-2011 Saab 9-39-3 there is a common issue with the intake valve seals going bad causing a rough idle and/or misfire on cold starts. Mine exhibits this behavior but is not still under warranty. This is not just wear and tear it is a bad part or bad design that is basically designed to fail. To fix this it costs $1500+ and GM should be responsible for a flaw in the vehicle regardless of the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 092015

9-3

My check engine light came on while traveling across the state of tn and I noticed that my vehicle began stalling when I accelerated quickly. I immediately took my vehicle to get checked out and was told that the code yielded "lean at idle". the mechanic adjusted a vacuum hose and said I was good to go...I pulled out of the parking lot and noticed my gas gauge showed less than 35 miles but no gas light indicator was lit. I tried to test my car by quickly accelerating and my check engine light came back on. I took it right back to the mechanic and they replaced the vacuum hose. When I left the mechanic on 8feb2015, I filled up my gas tank but noticed my gauge only showed half full. I drove it 1 mile and parked it for the evening. This morning I started the vehicle back up and noticed that there was a little hesitancy and kickback when accelerating...I drove back home 225 miles and less than 20 miles from home my engine light comes back on. The code is now indicating a fuel pressure regulator issue...hence the reason for the stalling hesitancy and the incorrect fuel gauge/indicator light. Upon researching online, there is not a noted recall for the fuel pump on my car, but I did notice a special bulletin GM failed fuel system program...listed below:service bulletin number: Sb-10054 replacement service bulletin number: Sb-10054D NHTSA id #: 10041526 bulletin date: Thu, 09/01/2011 failing component(s): 091200 fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system why is my car not showing as covered when the classic premature system failure is occurring at only 82K miles whereas I run the risk of my fuel pump completely failing and could lead to a car fire if I was unknowledgeable on the subject matter"??" please assist with explaining how my car is not showing up as covered via the VIN information system with NHTSA.

- Greenbrier, TN, USA

Apr 102013

9-3

The contact owns a 2008 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that after refueling, the fuel warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The fuel gauge would fluctuate, causing inaccurate readings of fuel levels and as a result, the contact was unable to determine how much fuel was in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel level sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 84,068.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Dec 032012

9-3 6-cyl

Since December 2012 (6 months ago) my car has been running on a bad fuel pump indicated by cel and diagnostic tests run by an authorized service department. This is for an xwd car which has a different fuel pump assembly than the fwd version. The part has been on back order by Saab parts (under warranty by GM) and has no expected delivery date. Per my knowledge there are over 75 people in front me waiting for the same part. I am concerned the fuel pump will fail during possible dangerous situations such as high speed driving and maneuvering. Saab parts informed me that a tsb has been issued in regards to this matter. However I do not see it available on dot website and Saab parts is unwilling to pass the information on directly to me the consumer. The authorized service department are unwilling to do the fix stated in the tsb and refuse to show me the tsb or tell me any details.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA