NHTSA — Engine Problems

3.5

2013 Scion FR-S engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Scion FR-S:

2013 Scion FR-S Owner Comments

Nov 302016

FR-S

Toyota advised based on a freeze frame of data on the computer they were denying my warranty for an "over rev". the rev they are citing is 7300 RPM at 35 mph, which is under the factory set rev limiter and is also the correct rev for that speed in 1st gear on my 6 speed manual transmission. Further more I have evidence based on their freeze frame data that the data was not collected at the time of failure but at another point due to temperatures of the vehicle at the time of failure compared to the freeze frame data, as well as the run time stated on the freeze frame compared to how long I had driven the car that morning. Toyota has told me 4 times that the district parts and service manager has been the last one to deny the claim and has told me that to speak to him, I need to talk to dealer. The dealership has advised me that they cannot give his information out as he is a Toyota representative and not a dealership one. Toyota cannot prove that the information used is actually related to my claim and is stone walling any attempt of me to review this information with the representative that denied the claim. Outside of Toyota, the dealership cited exhaust modifications as a reason my warranty would no longer apply even though Toyota did not cite that in their denial, nor can they prove an exhaust caused internal engine failure. Toyota has also refused to send me a written official denial letter. The vehicle was stationary at a red light at the time of failure.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Sep 042016

FR-S

3 months after purchase, car blew a tie rod and had the engine replaced. It had about 38000 miles on it. One month after that repair, a push rod went through a valve cover. Both times the car had no oil, and no warning to replace the oil. Dealership is refusing to honor warranty on the second problem.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 082016

FR-S

Rod bearing failure causing sudden slowdown. Failure was due to factory defect of having too much sealant in between internal engine parts, causing oil starvation.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 052016

FR-S

Rod knock happened for two miles headed home and the engine completely shut down. Checked oil levels and they were perfect level.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jul 202016

FR-S

I drive a frs, automiatic. Bought it used with 80,000 miles. I started having problems two months into owning it. Had a feeling like it was trying to stall. Engine light came on with the traction light. Code read P0019. Car would shake viciously when I when stop at a red light. Shook when I reversed sometimes. Started idling really low. Took it to the dealer they said it wasn't under warranty. They said the whole transmission needed to be replaced, $6,450. Read a lot of similar problems from other frs owners. Call corporate, they build a case for me. Completely blew me off, because the car wasn't serviced with them throughout 30,000 miles by owner before. They said they wouldn't help a used car. My household holds 6 Toyota cars and they didn't do one thing to help, but offered $1,000 if I bought a new car off them. I'm in school and have to pay other things and I trusted them and their vehicles and was just blown off like nothing. It sucks to finally buy your dream car and only to find out there's so many problems with it. Toyota failed me. Odometer reads 87,000

- Nokesville, VA, USA

Aug 222015

FR-S

The contact owns a 2013 Scion Fr-S. while driving 5 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Clear Water, FL, USA

Feb 102015

FR-S

Ignition coil cel came on rarely at high 5-7K RPM gear shifts and first appeared around 25K, now at 37K miles it comes on consistently at high 5-7K RPM shifts. Transmission had to be replaced at 15K miles due to gears grinding with the clutch fully depressed when driving in any speeds. Coolant tank was improperly sealed permitting water to evaporate, I used electric tape to make a seal. Engine did not have a high pitch cricket-like noise upon purchase and within 100 miles and since it has a high pitched noise when idle. Passenger's window switch does not auto scroll upon pressing the 2nd notch about 10% of the time in any condition. Both driver and passenger windows have very distinct 3 inch wide streak marks from scrolling up and down. The center of the interior dashboard has been slightly warped since 15K miles.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jul 162014

FR-S 4-cyl

After engine worms up, let the engine idle and stays at 600 RPM for a few seconds, jump to 1100 RPM then down to 600 and 400, engine shakes up like is going to stall and check engine light and vsc light come on. Dealer told me is a camshaft gear defect that will not change the angle for the variable valve timing(vvt). Other parts needed to be change are oil control valve and camshaft vvt sensor. Toyota must issue a recall for these, more than 250 cases were reports on ft86club.com. Same exact problem is shown on the Subaru brz because is the exact same car.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 062015

FR-S 4-cyl

After several weeks of smelling burnt oil in the cabin, I discovered a serious oil leak on the engine. The engine has a block off plate on the right rear camshaft area. It is a stamped steel plate held on with three bolts and sealed with rtv. The oil was leaking around the bottom bolt and dripping onto the exhaust pipe. Scion dealer was contacted and they told me that all they could do was re-apply the sealant and hope for the best. They also commented that it would fail again in the same place because of the design. I ordered an aftermarket cover plate that incorporates an O ring into the seal. This plate is guaranteed not to leak if installed according to the instructions. Web forums indicate that this is a very common problem with manual transmission equipped Fr-S. the automatic transmission version has a pump in place of the block off plate. This is a potential fire hazard and owners should not have to buy aftermarket parts to correct the problem. Scion/Toyota (Subaru) should design a plate that does not leak onto the hot exhaust pipe.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 082012

FR-S 4-cyl

My new car has been in and out of the shop for the past month (4 times). The check engine light keeps coming on and the dealer does not know how to fix it. The car does not also seem to be able to hold an idle speed. When my foot has the clutch completely depressed and my other foot on the brake, the engine idle just goes from 500 to 1000 and back down to 500 and the car shudders and almost stalls. There seems to be other Scion owners of this new car that are having the exact same issue (there are internet post on web forums dating back to June 2012) and Toyota/Scion does not act like they are aware of this issue at all. I am concerned that the car is going to stall or the engine surge when I am driving it. The car is at a Scion dealer for the 4 time and I was given no eta on when the car might be repaired.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA