NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2013 Scion FR-S fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Scion FR-S:

2013 Scion FR-S Owner Comments

Apr 152014

FR-S 4-cyl

High pressure fuel pump started making significant amounts of noise, was deemed defective by Toyota and replaced. 3000 miles later, the same noise is back, and now Toyota is refusing to repair / replace the part, even though car has less than 12000 miles on it, even now. This high pressure fuel pump is of concern because it's the system that compresses the fuel to over 3000 psi. This system never depressurizes, even while the vehicle is shut off. A defective high pressure fuel pump, one that makes significant amounts of noise, have the possibility for failure, and could cause either hesitation while driving, complete loss of power while under acceleration, or potentially a fire. Toyota is aware of this problem, released a technical service bulletin with regards to an initial fix, and then completely refuses to fix the problem or even acknowledge it after the first fix attempt.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Apr 222013

FR-S 4-cyl

I am filing a complaint before problems persist and make things worse. My brand new Scion frs, what I was reassured by my dealer was reliable dependable make and model. Given the trust he had gained prior to the sale I believed every word he said down to his over market asking price pitch. I bought it all and the car. A few weeks later I notice a chirpping that I thought to be the belt. It had been raining constantly so I assumed the belt was moist and at times with condensation. In dry conditions the problem persisted and I became concerned, so I took it to the service center I purchased the vehicle. The tech said it was a miss sized fuel hose, causing the fuel pump to chirp. But what was weird and drew a red flag was all the parts that had to be replaced: Fuel pump, pipe fuel delivery NO2, gasket, gasket intake manifold, gasket throttled. Tsed suspicion so I researched my problem. A lot of the reports find the same issuse, along with others things I have noticed with my car. The fuel has been reported to leak, causing fires or enginge damage and acceleration issues leading to such. I have to noticed the need for accessive force on the pedal has been more and more necessary. Also stalling and rough idling is a big concern. I have only had the car for a month now and I do no wish to leave anything to chance especially if it may result in death. I don't want my girl friend and her two children and I to burn to death or stall out and crushed by a truck.

- Corpus Christi , TX, USA

Aug 082012

FR-S 4-cyl

My new car has been in and out of the shop for the past month (4 times). The check engine light keeps coming on and the dealer does not know how to fix it. The car does not also seem to be able to hold an idle speed. When my foot has the clutch completely depressed and my other foot on the brake, the engine idle just goes from 500 to 1000 and back down to 500 and the car shudders and almost stalls. There seems to be other Scion owners of this new car that are having the exact same issue (there are internet post on web forums dating back to June 2012) and Toyota/Scion does not act like they are aware of this issue at all. I am concerned that the car is going to stall or the engine surge when I am driving it. The car is at a Scion dealer for the 4 time and I was given no eta on when the car might be repaired.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA