NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2016 Scion iA seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Scion iA:

2016 Scion iA Owner Comments

Sep 272015

I am a 113 lb adult. Whenever I sit on a 2-inch foam cushion in the passenger seat of our Scion Ia, the "passenger airbag off" warning illuminates on the dashboard. The seat is too low and hard for me to sit comfortably without the cushion, and I also have to use it when I drive the Scion Ia. But the airbags should not be off for persons weighing more than 85 lbs. This does not happen when a passenger weighing over 125 lbs sits on the cushion. But it means that for passengers weighing between 85 lbs and 125 lbs, there will be no airbag protection. I used the same cushion in our 2015 Mazda 3, with no problem; so clearly there is a problem with the location or function of the sensors in the Scion Ia. When I took it to the dealer, the service department recommended either not using any seat cushion or putting a weight under the cushion, but did not record my complaint. This is an ongoing problem, so the date I entered below is the first day I rode as a passenger in the car. By the way, I don't know why the 2016 Scion Ia is not a recognized model in your system.

- Seattle, WA, USA