NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2.1

2005 Scion tC drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Sep 192010

tC

As I was driving down the highway I accelerated to pass and it seemed as if my throttle shorted out. My car's RPM's dropped and I started to decrease speed. I removed my foot from the accelerator and it seemed to catch again, but as I pushed the pedal again my accelerator went out for a second time. At this point and my engine shut down. I shifted into neutral and tried to restart my car multiple times while rolling with no success. I had to try to maneuver my car through traffic with no power, rolling at a speed of about 40 miles per hour and decreasing rapidly while on the highway with a speed limit of 65. After I made my way over two lanes to the shoulder I tried to restart my car and it would catch and then turn off. I waited a few minutes and tried again, it started as if nothing had happened and I continued on. I could not take my car to the shop but planned to take it the next Monday. On my way home on a Sunday evening I was driving on one of the busiest streets in arlington, tx and the car started to shut down on me again. I pulled over and turned the vehicle off and waited a few minutes as I have done before and headed home. As I was driving again the car's throttle went out completely and I could do nothing except roll down the street. As I pushed the throttle my car would not exceed 2,000 RPM's and the max speed was 25 mph. I made it to a safe spot after rolling for about 2 miles at 12-20 mph on a 45 mph road. I had to wait until Monday before I could have someone tow it away. The salesman and I did the research on the Scion Tc and assured me before purchasing the car, that acceleration was not a problem. I was concerned due to the problems Toyota was having however I did not see any recalls or major problems except airbags, windows, and the sunroof recalls. I was expecting a great car, with great safety features and durability but issues with a throttle body going out while on the highway is a major concern that needs to be investigated.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 182008

tC

The car would stall when trying to accelerate more quickly than normal. This occurred three times in approximately 10 days. This occurred twice on town roads, and the third time while entering the interstate to deliver the car to the dealer for repair. A diagnostic test was done which produced code #P2112--throttle actuator stuck closed. Three new parts were replaced: Hose, throttle body; body assy, throttle; gasket, throttle bod.

- Coventry, RI, USA