NHTSA — Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist: Power Steering Fluid Problems

4.4

2005 Scion tC steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Apr 152006

tC 4-cyl

I took my 2005 Scion Tc to dealer to have a routine warranty oil change. Tech told me that power steering fluid was completely black. When pressed for an explanation, I was told this was normal wear (even at only 25,000 mi). I had the fluid replaced for a hefty fee, but called to speak w/ a service manager and was again told that this is a normal wear issue "for all Toyota's" and was assured that nothing was wrong with the steering system. I have never heard of this being "normal" as this is a contained system. Another friend mechanic said it sounds as though something within the system is corroding or wearing (possibly metal chips or wearing of black rubber hoses). I am in the process of writing a letter to Toyota/Scion headquarters, as I haven't been able to find a reasonable explanation or a service bulletin and my warranty will be up in another 5000 miles. I don't want to find out something is wrong in a couple years, but be out of warranty by then. If you've had this same problem, please make a formal complaint!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA