NHTSA — Tires Problems

2008 Scion tC wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Scion tC:

2008 Scion tC Owner Comments

Sep 212007

tC 4-cyl

As I was changing lanes, I veered a little far onto the left shoulder and hit the rumble strips on the shoulder of the road. I turned a slight right to get the vehicle back into the left lane and my tires "broke loose". the tire separated from the rim, and I slid into a horizontal position, across both lanes, on the rim. I then tried to steer the vehicle back into the left lane, however my car turned a 180 and went into a forward horizontal motion. I then hit a bump or something in the road and my car flipped and went airborne. My car made a complete turn in the air, smashed on its side and then landed on its wheels, on the median. It then bounced and smashed into the metal poles of the median. My car was totaled and miraculously I have very few minor injuries. I am concerned that the tires on the Scion Tc are so low-profile. I am confused how this could happen on a brand new car. On a 2008 vehicle, I should be able to go over rumble strips and easily maneuver my way back into my lane. The tires should not break loose on a brand new car. I purchased the car 3 weeks ago and had roughly 770 miles on it.

- Coppell, TX, USA