NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2006 Scion xB engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Scion xB:

2006 Scion xB Owner Comments

Mar 112015

The contact owned a 2006 Toyota Scion Xb. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to respond. The contact stated that the vehicle continued to accelerate independently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the throttle needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond causing the contact to crash into a pole. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- 440-396-8104, OH, USA

May 242015

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Scion Xb. While driving in a parking lot at approximately 4 mph, the contact struck a curb. The vehicle experienced unintended acceleration going through several curves, down an embankment, crashed through two metal fences, and landed in a fountain of approximately three feet of water. The front air bags failed to deploy. The stability control system did not activate. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to a lot. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 172012

xB 4-cyl

I was on my way home from work and when I came to a stop light, I tried to come a stop and when I tried to brake the car kept driving and I wrecked in to a fence and crashing into a tree.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Aug 242014

xB 4-cyl

Was leaving the house, got in car, started engine, put my foot on the brake then put the gear shift into reverse and proceeded to pull out of garage when all of a sudden for no reason whatsoever the car just took off on its own too fast, while my foot was still on the brake, the car accelerated too quickly and I nearly crashed into the neighbor's garage door.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jan 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Scion Xb. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph when the vehicle independently accelerated without warning. The contact was able to decelerate after force was applied to the brake pedal. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the acceleration failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Guilford, ME, USA

Dec 282011

On 4 separate incidents, my car accelerated on it's own while sitting still. The last incident was on March 23rd while I was sitting still in a mcdonald's drive thru. My foot was on the brake and the car suddenly acted as if I had stepped fully down on the gas pedal. I had to really push my foot down on the brake to keep it from lunging forward. I immediately pushed it into park and the car stopped accelerating. This is very dangerous and I am extremely worried it will happen again!

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 242010

This is the second time my 2006 Scion Xb has accelerated when I stepped on the brake. This time it happened when I was going uphill about 30 miles an hour. When I stepped on the brake, the engine accelerated and began racing. I was able to brake to a stop, but the only way to get the engine to slow was to turn off the ignition and restart the car. As with the previous incident, it's impossible that I was accidentally stepping on the accelerator, since I used the brake to bring the car to a halt. It was scary the first time. It was scary this time too.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 012008

Accelerated (took off) while driving at highway speed (5 incidences)...originally I thought it was a problem with my aftermarket cruise control. I called dealership and reported that they should not recommend aftermarket cruise at the time...they claimed no other problems. After 2nd incidence cruise control was replaced by installer and he called the company...none was familiar with the problem on my cruise module (he showed me how to disconnect cruise under the hood since current still runs through mechanism since cruise was in off position during 2nd incident)...the problem then happened again (3 times in same day on way to airport)with new cruise mechanism. No problems in last 2 years, but it's a daily I have to wonder if the cruise was ever even part of the equation in the problem with all the accelerator and other problems I've read online. I checked with the dealership again this year and they deny any problem with Scion accelerators or brake not depressing (it always felt like my brake and gas were fighting like if you 2 footed in a manual equally, but I own a's very scary).

- Lathrop, MO, USA

Mar 202010

I was driving in traffic going about 65mph. Traffic began to slow and when I tried to slow my car the engine began to rev up. Traffic came slower and I was able to turn off the engine, put the car in neutral and then restart the engine. After restarting the engine it reved again and again turned it off and on and the engine reset and ran smoothly. This happened once before about a year after we bought the car but I don't remember the date. We did not take it to the service center.

- Newport, KY, USA

Mar 192010

Today, 3/19/10 at around 9:30 a.M. I was driving my 2006 Toyota Scion home from the dentists office. Nearing the top of a hill my throttle stuck in the full position and the brake pedal failed to depress. I put the transmission in neutral, the engine revved at high speed, I returned the transmission to drive and the problem persisted. I repeated the gear change and the second time the engine and transmission respond properly. I called my local Toyota dealer who offered no help unless I can repeat the problem. P.S. I am (and have been) a state licensed vehicle safety & emissions inspector (MA)by profession. Prior to this I was a state licensed mechanic & vehicle emissions inspector (ca).

- Monson, MA, USA

Mar 112010

In the process of slowing down in order to pull over and park the vehicle, the car began to speed up. Tried applying the foot brake, but nothing happened. It was as though the gas pedal was stuck. Immediately put the car in park, but could hear the car revving up. Applied the emergency brake for safety. Had the car towed to residence.

- Garner, NC, USA

Oct 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Scion Xb. While the contact was stopped in traffic with the vehicle placed in park the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning causing the contact to crash into the vehicle in front of her. No one was injured, a police report was filed for the incident. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 97000.

- Wild Wood, MO, USA

Nov 302009

I was pulling into my driveway when my car accelerated uncontrollably. I applied the brake with both feet and could not stop. I hit my other car in the driveway and that stopped me but damaged both vehicles. Since this occurred on private property I did not contact police.

- Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 012007

Sudden acceleration of car while transitioning from the accelerator to the brake in a 2006 Scion Xb.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Mar 172009

2006 Scion Xb --- we have experienced same gas pedal problem on four or five occasions in the last two years. The vehicle either did not slow when the gas pedal was depressed and in two instances the vehicle actually began to accelerate while going uphill approaching slowing traffic. Re: Toyota recall not on Scion models?

- Somerville, NJ, USA

May 092007

The contact owns a 2006 Scion Xb. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated while her husband was driving. The engine began to rev up so the driver depressed the brake pedal however, the vehicle would not stop accelerating. He turned off the ignition, re-started the vehicle and pulled to the side of the road. After re-starting the vehicle, the failure no longer occurred.the contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealership but did contact the manufacturer; she was told that her model was not included in recall 10V017000. The vehicle had not been repaired to-date. The current mileage was approximately 21,717. The failure mileage was approximately 7,000

- Coquille, OR, USA

Aug 282009

My car, a 2006 Scion Xb, while driving on surface streets began to rapidly accelerate out of control. When I tapped on the brakes several times, it slowed down and stopped the acceleration. I brought the car to bev smith Toyota & Scion, where the technicians determined that the cruise control software malfunctioned. It is important to note that the cruise control was off when this occurred. They believe that the software caused the issue.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 012008

We were driving down a seattle boulevard at about 40 miles an hour on the way to the airport when I put my foot on the brake pedal to stop for a red light. Instead of slowing, the engine sped up. I managed to get the car to stop by stomping on the brake, but at full stop the engine started revving toward 5000 RPM, the car was straining forward, and the only way to solve the problem was to turn off the ignition. On restarting the car, the problem went away. I called the dealer, whose service folks said there were no service notices about the issue. The next time I took the car in, there were no error codes in the electronics. There hasn't been a recurrence. But the incident was more than unsettling; it was downright scary.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 222008

I own a 2006 Scion Xb and approximately 1 year ago had the accelerated stick to the floor mat after accelerating to pass another vehicle. Upon passing I took my foot off the accelerator and the car continued to gain speed. The gas pedal got stuck in the winter floor mat I had. It required me to use my foot and pull up on the gas pedal to release it. Since then I have always been cautious of this and have not had another problem. However, after reading about the issues with Toyota and Lexus I am concerned that this is also a problem with Scion vehicles. Felt I should report this to someone.

- Salem, OR, USA

Nov 012006

xB 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Scion Xb. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated to 10 mph without warning. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The dealer did not make any repairs. The current mileage is 16,000 and failure mileage was 3,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA