NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Scion xD electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Scion xD:

2009 Scion xD Owner Comments

Sep 122015

The contact owns a 2009 Scion Xd. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was serviced under an unknown recall, but the failure recurred. In addition, the front passenger side window switch operated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger side window switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V689000 (visibility); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,283. Parts distribution disconnect....updated 09/12/16

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 312014

xD 4-cyl

When I tried to roll the passenger window down, a plume of smoke came out of the master control panel. At first, I thought I was imagining it, but the button froze into place. I took my Scion into a dealership for 2 recall notice repairs (driver's seat railing and intake manifold assembly) and mentioned the window control panel problem and my concern as to whether or not there was a risk of a fire. The service tech said that my car was not part of the recall" I am concerned as to whether or not my car is going to catch on fire and am curious to know if this has been an ongoing problem with the newer model Scion Xds"

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 192014

While car running on the local road, approx. 40 mph, rear window from driver side rolled down itself and a lot of smoke started coming out from power window master switch controls and from driver side window, inside. Two of four switches from master switch control then melted and pushed all the way down, seems like the bottom part of those switches caught fires or something, however, no fire was visible from the exterior. Was then pulled to the business parking lot and turned off the engine. The smoke then slowly stopped. Car towed to and parked at local Toyota/ Scion dealer side way, service consultant checked my VIN and informed that there was no recall for this particular VIN. (visibility: Power window devices and controls recall date: 10/10/2012 does not include this particular VIN) was then contacted Scion recall same day and they started a fire case for investigation, 3 days later case manager letting me know that to complete their investigation of the causes could take up to a month" they wanted to hold my car at the dealer until investigation is completed, without an estimate of completion date and they offered no loaner car or rental reimbursement? why NHTSA campaign number: 12V491000 -- affected -- Toyota Scion Xd 2008-2009 -- then why this VIN with the same defective was not part of the recall"

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 212010

About a year after I bought the car (at concord Toyota, concord, ca), my power locks started malfunctioning one by one. They fixed it because I was still on the factory warranty, but a year later, the front locks stopped working again. They were fixed. In 2013, the two front locks stopped working again. The problem is, now I don't have any warranty coverage and they want to charge me around $500 to fix each lock. Not only is it not fair because it's been something that's been happening continuously for years, but now the back door locks stop and start working at random all the time. I would appreciate it if you could help me with this issue.

- Concord, CA, USA