2. use "stop leak" (1 reports)
2002 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Forester:

2002 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Mar 202010

Forester L 2.5L 4-cyl

how in the world can a Subaru have leaking head gaskets at 65,000 miles???!!! i owned a used 1990 chrysler new yorker that finally died at about 155,000 and i NEVER had a head gasket problem. is this a common problem with Subaru's 2.5 liter engine? the dealer says it will cost about $2,000 dollars to get it fixed!!! outside of a couple of oil changes, the dealer has done ALL the maintenance on this car. what's next after the head gasket is replaced? valves? fuel injectors? transmission? and on top of that, the clock died a few months ago and they want $200 dollars to fix that!!! i never want to buy a Subaru again!!!

- , ., NY, USA

Jul 202009

Forester 2.5L

I'm coming to the end of Subaru's extended warranty for the painfully common headgasket leak problem. They would not replace my externally leaking gasket, but instead put extra stop leak in to solve the problem. It was added at no charge under warranty, but I believe this was done just so it would stop leaking long enough to push me past the 100,000 mile warranty limit. Biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen. So they're leaving me with a car that will require me to pay for stop leak for the rest of it's life until the gasket really lets go at which time I'd have to shell out $2g's to fix it. I will never be purchasing another Subaru again. Stay away, I've been hearing similar problems with newer years as well. My Honda never gave me the major problems this thing has.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA