2004 Subaru Forester suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Subaru Forester:

2004 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jul 302016

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Forester. While driving 5 mph making a left turn, the front passenger wheel turned in the opposite position and caused the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was towed to an independent garage lot where it was diagnosed that the control arm was corroded and caused both lower control arms and axle to detach. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jun 162016

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Forester. While driving approximately 40 mph, an unusually loud noise emitted from the front end of the vehicle. The failure occurred when driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that both front lower control arms exhibited excessive corrosion; however, the rear lower control arms were not as severely damaged. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

Aug 042015

Having recently bought my 2004 Subaru Forester xt, it ran great for the first few months. Then, while on the highway, it would shake uncontrollably, almost like an earthquake. Having taken it to Subaru a month before, I mentioned that it was doing this a little, but not to the extent that it did on the highway. He said it would be $150 to look at it. Taking it in to a different mechanic, they had to replace the lower control arm. Looking today online for recalls on another issue I'm experiencing, I see that there was a recall on this exact issue, but only for cars sold in certain states. This is the exact issue that was wrong with my Subaru, and I believe that owners in other states are experiencing this issue as well. Hopefully you will look at this before this happens to someone on the interstate and they lose control of their vehicle.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 152013

I will like to know if when my car was recall and fix the front lower control arm in 2013 has anything to do with my wheel alignment, since it seems that the dealer and town fair tire can not get it right because every time I complaint and get it fix and go home after a few miles the steering wheel goes off center and start making noise at the front end about 55-65 mph and this began after fixing the recall and I can not drive in peace and I wonder if am not taking a chance driving a car that was straight as an arrow before the part replacement, please help, thank you.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Aug 222014

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that while reversing into a residential the driveway, the front passengers side lower control arm fractured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the control arm needed to be replaced. The contact was made aware that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign id number: 11V464000 (suspension). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Alexander, ME, USA

Oct 092011

Forester 4-cyl

Backing out of drive way, lower control arm failed, tearing the cv joint out. Upon inspection the control arm had rusted through at its joint.

- South Haven, MI, USA

Jul 272011

Forester 4-cyl

Rusting failure of the front lower control arm. No injuries, it was caught before the item failed.

- Corning , NY, USA

Apr 182009

A rear wheel bearing has failed on our 2004 Subaru forrester xt. We have heard a sound on again and off again a few months after buying the car, as well as in recent months. The car has always been serviced by a Subaru dealer and we have had all required services made over the years of owning the car. We bought the car from Subaru of wakefiled, MA when we lived in salem, MA. Their service department is terrific. We now have it serviced at pence Subaru in richmond. The last time we were at the dealer we had an unpleasant experience and I was reticent to return. The sound got really bad about 2 weeks ago and I took it to an independent auto mechanic and he confirmed that the rear bearings had failed. We have heard a sound from the rear of the car on again and off again for years and had the brakes checked and worked on numerous times thinking this was the problem. Recent research on the internet leads me to believe that there is something wrong in the design of the bearings or the hub as many people have reported multiple failures while owning their cars. It seems as if a recall is in order here and the parts should be replaced at the manufacturers expense. I would appreciate your investigating the matter and any guidance that you can provide.

- Midlothian, VA, USA