2009 Subaru Forester brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Forester:

2009 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jul 112016

Forester

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Forester. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable time frame to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available so the contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The contact was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V311000 (service brakes, hydraulic) but had not been notified of the recall. The manufacturer was contacted and the contact was unable to reach them for weeks due to a high call volume. The contact was not experiencing a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Rush, NY, USA

Feb 122014

Forester

The brake line and brake caliper rusted, car has been maintained and checked regularly, while driving we lost rear brakes, almost caused an accident, spent at least $900 in repair, Subaru refused to refund money, even though there was a recall for brakes lines.please help.

- Bridgeview , IL, USA

Feb 032014

Forester 4-cyl

Car has been going through oil since the catalytic converter recall was done in fall of 2013. First noticed around February of 2014 when oil light came on and no oil in engine. I complained to dealer and they found nothing. I kept complaining on my oil change or other appointments but they found nothing wrong. The car was going through 2-3 courts every 2-3 months, with "burn" time getting closer together - eventually checked oil every 3 weeks by summer and every week by October. When the car would not run I eventually bypassed the dealer after no solution and complained to Subaru. I had a difficult time finding a dealer willing to take the car (so did Subaru). Feeling it was a dealer workmanship issue I paid for the work and Subaru reimbursed me to replaced the head gaskets in December 2014 - stating it was out of warranttee so that is how it has to be done. The other day (February 6, 2015) engine light came on again and no oil was in the engine - this is 2 months after work done. This car has had issues since the beginning and I feel as a first year redesigned model it is a Subaru defect. I have had to replace the brakes 3 times in a short span - few years (3 maybe). It has never had good pick-up and since catalytic converter recall was done the gas mileage dropped - was 22/28 now 19/23. The dealer who replaced head gaskets made a notation on my bill (without telling me directly) that the sway bars need attention. My brother has a 2007 Forester and has had to replace all of these items as well within the last few years. I needs a reliable vehicle to earn a living.

- Armonk, NY, USA

Nov 172014

Forester 4-cyl

I was going around a cup-de-sac to stop to a have my passenger exit the car to her house, I heard engine rev and push forward into her hollow tile wall, garden and down the other side of her property and stop on the wall before I thought of turning the engine off.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jun 022014

Forester

The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes failed to respond as a result the contact crashed into a garage. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V311000 (brakes). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximately failure mileage was 30,000.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Aug 082014

Forester 4-cyl

Regarding: Subaru recall campaign wqk-47 / NHTSA recall no. 14V-311 / July 2014. The remedy for this recall is inspection and testing of the brake lines. If there is no active brake fluid leak at the time of inspection, the lines/connections will be sprayed with anti-corrosion material. It is very clear in the documents that replacement will not be done under any other circumstances, regardless of how much rust/corrosion is already present in the brake line system. I find this absolutely appalling, and an extreme danger to unsuspecting drivers of these vehicles. These brake lines could be one day away from leaking, but if they are not leaking at the time of inspection, they will not be replaced. The owners of these vehicles should be protected from damage that has already occurred to the brake lines in the form of obvious corrosion. This remedy does not fix anything if rusted/corroded parts are going to be left in place, with most owners completely unaware of the hidden danger. I would like feedback from the government regarding this serious concern.

- Mason, MI, USA

Apr 062011

Forester 4-cyl

Since from the beginning, I have to push my brake pedal too down to apply the brakes, I reported it several times to my Subaru dealer but they seems to be not serious in dealing this.

- Mission, SD, USA