2010 Subaru Forester body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Subaru Forester:

2010 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Oct 032015

After work, I got in my car and started it up. Check engine light came on, followed by traction control and tire pressure lights. This was odd because these lights had never been on before. I started to drive home--it was too late to bring the car to have it checked out. I live a minute and a half from work. The cruise control light then came on and flickered in no particular pattern. Then, about 45 seconds into my 90 second drive, the temperature gauge light came on. The weather was about 50 degrees and rainy. When I got home the engine fan was spinning really fast. I popped the hood. No smoke or anything visibly wrong. At roughly 2:10am there was no way I could bring it to get the issues looked into. So I left the hood open to let some heat out and when the fan slowed and then stopped, I closed the hood and went inside. About 10-15 minutes later, during which time the car had been stationary and the engine had been shut off, I heard a pop sound. It was a strange noise and I got up to check it out. It was a massive engine fire. It toasted the engine and melted a good portion of the front end. The fire dept shattered the windows and peeled the hood back. The car is totaled. The fire was just feet away from my house on one side, and the neighbor on the other side. Had I been asleep the fire could have spread to my house or my neighbor's, potentially killing people. It was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced. There is a video on youtube with something similar (search Subaru engine fire). The car is a 2010 Forester xt, completely stock. It has been very well maintained and has about 85,000 miles on it. My mother originally owned it. She bought it brand new from the Subaru dealership and I bought it from her.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Forester 4-cyl

Besides corrosion of brakes in recent recall, body paint behind each wheel is corroding since 2013. Furthermore, Subaru issued the brake corrosion recall letter #1 to a company that is not the registered owner!!!

- Sauk City, WI, USA

Jan 202012

The drivers seat causes pain in my back, hip, ankle and foot on numerous occasions my right leg has gone numb or cramped up and I have to pull over so that I can walk off the cramps and numbness. My husband avoids driving the Subaru because of the pain he experiences. Even folks in their 20's that have driven my Subaru experience pain in some part of their lower body.

- Logan, IA, USA

Oct 152010

When washing my car one day, I noticed a paint imperfection on the hood my 2010 Subaru Forester xt. When I took to dealership, they said it was due to bird droppings. They took pictures (with a cell phone camera) and submitted to Subaru as part of a warranty claim. I have since noticed paint imperfections (looks like blades of grass underneath paint, bubbling up) on every single panel of the car, front to back. For insurance purposes, I took the car to 3 separate auto body shops, who all claim the issue is a paint defect and Subaru's responsibility. Subaru recently denied my warranty claim.

- Ca, CA, USA

Oct 172010

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru forrester. The contact stated that bird droppings were eating a hole in the clear coating paint on the top and hood of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that they would perform a one time courtesy spray and re-coat the top and hood of the vehicle. The manufacturer was called and stated that bird droppings were not covered under warranty and offered no further other assistance. The failure mileage was 10,600.

- East North Port Long Island, NY, USA