2011 Subaru Forester body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Forester:

2011 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Sep 082015

Forester

Inside rear view mirror came loose and dangled from the electric cord in front of the driver's vision. This happened after the mirror was replaced under warranty.

- Carmel, CA, USA

Jun 082015

Forester

On June 8 2015 I attended a meeting. When the meeting ended at 8 pm, it was raining hard. I hurried to the car, opened the driver"S door with my left hand and smacked the corner of the door into my left eyebrow. The bleeding was substantial, dripping large drops onto the ground and onto my dress. A stranger stopped, advising me to keep continual pressure on the wound until it stopped bleeding. Eventually it did so and I drove home one-handed with the other keeping pressure on my forehead. Since the bleeding had ended, a pressure bandage kept it stopped for the night. The black eye has faded. There is no permanent damage except for a 5/8" scar across my eyebrow and a ruined dress. Inspecting the door the next morning, I realized the corner of the door comes to an acute angle. The door itself is weatherstripped and has a rubber gasket. But the exposed metal corner of the door has no protection. It is totally exposed! I have the misfortune of being a 5?8? female whose eye height meets the corner of the door. I also have the misfortune of being left-handed so I open the door with my primary hand. (opening a driver"S door with the right hand offers some protection because of the location of the arm.) subsequent to this event, I wrote Subaru corporate as well as the local dealer. Their reply thanked me for suggesting a design concept (I think that was the phrase). A 'goody box' from Subaru arrived shortly thereafter.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 082014

Forester

My car was stopped at a red light behind at least 2 other cars at around 4:45 P.M. on 9-8-14. My engine suddenly started racing and pulling my car toward the car sitting in front of mine. I already had my foot on the brake because I was stopped. I pressed even harder on the brake as the car took off out of my control. The brakes stopped working and my car crashed into the rear of the vehicle in front of mine.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Jun 102014

Forester 4-cyl

Car was brought to dealership on June 3rd for knocking sound, I was told it needed a new engine which was replaced, car picked up June 10 after repair was completed. While driving on June 10th in the evening, the car began to buck and kick and not respond to pushing on gas pedal, at one point started to accelerate and then slowed down, pulled over to the side of the road and noted that black smoke and flames were seen coming out from hood. Car burned significantly while firefighters tried to put it out.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 172013

Forester 4-cyl

Pulled into a parking space at a local train station. Car was stopped and shut off. Not sure if keys were in ignition or not. When reaching over to get handbag and tote I heard the engine rev up very suddenly and loudly, car jumped 6" curb and propelled forward about two feet when right front bumper hit tree and car stopped. Air bags did not deploy and I was not injured. Before I even knew about this website I told the adjuster and the dealership that the car took off on its own. The only reaction I got was strange looks. Told by body shop that car was "totally fixable" within two weeks. $7,000 in body work 3 weeks later was told engine was "running rough" and it was sent to Subaru dealer where purchased. Told that engine had to be rebuilt - machining head; valve replacement; new gaskets etc. Five weeks later Subaru still has my car. About 3 weeks ago prior to knowing about this website and seeing how many other people have reported this problem I ordered a new Subaru using this one as a trade in. Subaru won't give me a trade in value until car is fixed and they have had the car five weeks and still haven't fixed it. I live in the suburbs am 62 years old and I've been taking trains, buses, my bike and walking to get to work and to do everyday errands. No offer of a loaner from Subaru although I've asked twice. Contacted corporate Subaru and reported what I read on this website and my own experience and was told that it would be hard to prove. Last week corporate said they would try to offer assistance with the purchase of the new car in the way of loyalty incentive. As of today I have no car, no idea when or if the old one will be fixed, how much it will be worth as a trade in, a new car that I can't have and that has no definitive price, and a lot of talk but no action from the dealership and corporate Subaru.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Dec 292012

Forester

Pulling out of a parking space at the cvs drug store, pine island rd and del prado blvd in cape coral fl., put the car into drive and the car accelerated on its on across the parking lot, hitting a parked car head on. My air bag deployed and my car hit the parked car so hard it drove it over a concrete barrier out of the lot. The damage to my car alone was $10,000. The other car was destroyed. I have had Subaru cars for 33 years. This Forester was my 8th Subaru. When the car accelerated, I was thrown back, my foot was not on the brake or gas pedal. The car kept running after the accident until I turned it off. State farm insurance sent a safety director over to check the car (after it was fixed), the body shop also had an inspector check the codes on the computer. I got rid of the car even though it had it have 11 months on the lease because I did not trust it.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA