2011 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Forester:

2011 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Sep 082014

Forester

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Forester. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number:14V311000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was repaired at a dealer, but the remedy was not effective. While at a stop light, the vehicle accelerated while the contact's foot was depressing the brake pedal. The vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but the diagnostic results were unknown. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Aug 082013

Forester

While backing up (car in reverse) at about 5 mph, acceleration occurred making the car go backwards very fast. Pressing the brake pad to the ground had no affect. The car, reversing out of control, side-swiped another vehicle and a piece of equipment. Car finally backed up into a huge forklift which went through the rear window and stopped the car. Luckily no one was hurt but the Subaru Forester was totaled.

- Pleasantville, NY, USA

Jan 312014

Forester 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking space, applied my brakes and was about to put my 2011 Subaru Forester into park when it suddenly accelerated forward and drove into a store front. The car traveled approximately 20 feet before hitting the wall and plate glass window. My driver's side airbag deployed. The car was totaled.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

May 172013

Forester 4-cyl

Pulled into a parking space at a local train station. Car was stopped and shut off. Not sure if keys were in ignition or not. When reaching over to get handbag and tote I heard the engine rev up very suddenly and loudly, car jumped 6" curb and propelled forward about two feet when right front bumper hit tree and car stopped. Air bags did not deploy and I was not injured. Before I even knew about this website I told the adjuster and the dealership that the car took off on its own. The only reaction I got was strange looks. Told by body shop that car was "totally fixable" within two weeks. $7,000 in body work 3 weeks later was told engine was "running rough" and it was sent to Subaru dealer where purchased. Told that engine had to be rebuilt - machining head; valve replacement; new gaskets etc. Five weeks later Subaru still has my car. About 3 weeks ago prior to knowing about this website and seeing how many other people have reported this problem I ordered a new Subaru using this one as a trade in. Subaru won't give me a trade in value until car is fixed and they have had the car five weeks and still haven't fixed it. I live in the suburbs am 62 years old and I've been taking trains, buses, my bike and walking to get to work and to do everyday errands. No offer of a loaner from Subaru although I've asked twice. Contacted corporate Subaru and reported what I read on this website and my own experience and was told that it would be hard to prove. Last week corporate said they would try to offer assistance with the purchase of the new car in the way of loyalty incentive. As of today I have no car, no idea when or if the old one will be fixed, how much it will be worth as a trade in, a new car that I can't have and that has no definitive price, and a lot of talk but no action from the dealership and corporate Subaru.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Jun 292013

Forester 4-cyl

Driver (adult female) was backing up to park when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Driver lifted foot off the accelerator and hit the brake. Vehicle accelerated even more. Crashed into a guy wire on an electric pole, snapping off the top of the pole. Several days later the second driver (adult male) was backing up in the driveway to turn around. Car suddenly accelerated. Second driver now a believer.

- Amesville, OH, USA

Dec 292012

Forester

Pulling out of a parking space at the cvs drug store, pine island rd and del prado blvd in cape coral fl., put the car into drive and the car accelerated on its on across the parking lot, hitting a parked car head on. My air bag deployed and my car hit the parked car so hard it drove it over a concrete barrier out of the lot. The damage to my car alone was $10,000. The other car was destroyed. I have had Subaru cars for 33 years. This Forester was my 8th Subaru. When the car accelerated, I was thrown back, my foot was not on the brake or gas pedal. The car kept running after the accident until I turned it off. State farm insurance sent a safety director over to check the car (after it was fixed), the body shop also had an inspector check the codes on the computer. I got rid of the car even though it had it have 11 months on the lease because I did not trust it.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Forester 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that she applied the brakes at 20 mph and the vehicle experienced an increased stopping distance. The contact stated that the vehicle stopped approximately five feet beyond where she intended to stop. The failure recurred approximately two months later while driving at a low speed. During the second failure, there was an increase in the engine rpms. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 300 and the current mileage was 2,500. The consumer stated the VIN we have is incorrect. However, she supplied the correct VIN twice, but in once case, there are too many numbers and the second case, there are not enough numbers. Updated 02/06/12

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Sep 192011

Forester

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that when braking with the cruise control activated, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate. On one occasion while attempting to park the vehicle, there was an occurrence of abnormal acceleration and the contact crashed into the foundation of a building. The contact was not injured. The police were contacted and the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 11,000.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Mar 192011

Forester

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that while parking the vehicle it suddenly accelerated and crashed into a concrete wall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that they would contact her at a later date. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 400.

- San Marcos, CA, USA