2013 Subaru Forester miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru Forester:

2013 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Sep 202016

Forester

I parked in my driveway, which has a slight incline, put car in park but left ignition running and headlights on. I have parked in this space seven years and was not in habit of pulling the parking brake. I had a visitor who needed to see deck steps as it was nighttime. We both got out, went up the steps and I returned to turn off car. When I leave keys in ignition I keep driver's door ajar to prevent unwanted locking. I open door, lean in to turn off key. Before I can reach the key, the car starts rolling backwards. I throw myself sideways to avoid car rolling over me. Because of incline, car gathers slight speed as it rolls about 40-50 feet down driveway (I live on a hill and driveway incline is more pronounced farther down). It veers slightly to left and I hear a "thud." Engine stops, headlights go out, as best I recall. Car was stopped by a six-inch diameter tree. When I get back in, I have to rock the steering wheel back and forth to get the ignition started and drive car back to parking spot. Odd thing is that when I get in the car to move it from tree, the gear is in "park." Damage is substantial, nearly $10,000 because of where it hit in the back and involved the expensive emissions system. I have tried to recreate this, putting gear in both neutral and reverse at same parking spot. I strongly believe if I had unknowingly left it in reverse, it would have immediately started rolling backward; if I'd left it in neutral, the weight shift of getting out of the car and slamming closed one of the doors would have started it rolling backward at that time, not later. Ussa told me Subaru has not owned up to any rollback problems when the car is in park and on a slight incline but I found a similar rollback in a Subaru forum for a car that was same year, same model and low mileage, as mine is. I now use parking break all the time, no longer trusting the car.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Mar 052015

Forester

Came out of a car wash and shifted from neutral to drive the Subaru Forester accelerated at full speed without touching any pedals. Started pumping brakes but they did nothing. Steered car thru parking lot next to car wash and side-swiped three cars and somehow managed to steer thru the rest of the parking lot without hitting anything or anyone. Drove car into a snow bank and it stopped. The car was totaled. It's a miracle no one was hurt.

- Bloomington, MN, USA