2014 Subaru Forester miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Forester:

2014 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jun 222016

On June 22, 2016, my husband parked the car on our driveway, located at 1264 hancock place in pocatello, Idaho. I got out on the passenger side door and stepped to the side and closed the door with my left hand. I was not far enough away from door and the corner caught my leg and the cut required 11 stitches. The corner has no rubber protection on it, I feel it is a design flaw.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Aug 212015

Driving at about 60 mph and car starting vibrating violently for a few seconds. Continued driving and 10 minutes later same thing for same length of time happened again.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 072015

Prior surging occurred with this vehicle. Auto is due for a normal maintenance and we were going to address this issue. We turned into a parking lot with workers at the corner and slowed down. We continued into the parking lot and made a tight left hand turn into a slot. The vehicle accelerated as we eased into the spot. The brakes were hit preventing further damage. The truck in the front parking spot was hit but not damaged. Our vehicle received a dent and scrapings on the front end. There were no injuries but the biggest concern was the surging and the possibility of it happening again. Date of incident: 8/7/2015 at approximately 4:30 P.M.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Nov 252013

I was driving my 6 month old 2014 Subaru Forester at about 50 mph at night and my driver's seat began reclining. I almost lost control of the car and had an accident because the mechanism to stop it was not working. It happened three more times after that occurrence. Also, the power lift gate was inoperable. I had to crawl into the back cargo area to try to open the rear lift gate. It would not open, even from the inside. It was reinitialized several times by kingery rye Subaru in rye, NY and they failed to correct the problem. Eventually they replaced the part but the operation of lift gate remains unpredictable. I need to be able to use the power lift gate at all times to put a wheelchair in the back. I was informed by Subaru of America (in writing) that some of the electrical problems that are occurring are because kingery rye Subaru installed an after market remote starter into my car without my knowledge or approval. I have written documentation from Subaru of America stating the dealers must install Subaru parts. I paid a lot of money for a Subaru remote starter. Rye Subaru put a cheap after market starter into my car. That is fraud. My car is starting randomly and without a key in the ignition. A co-worker came into work and told me my car was locked and running in the parking lot. Recently I closed the lift gate, using the button on the lift gate and the car started itself as I was walking away from it. The car has started on its own many times. There are multiple dangerous electrical problems that are putting myself and my family's lives at risk. The side driver's and passenger's windows fog up when the heat is turned on. The de-fogger does not remedy the problem at all. I am unable to see anything out the side windows which poses a big safety issue especially during the winter. I bought the car because it had a high safety rating. This car is not safe.

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Apr 222013

Forester 4-cyl

After I purchased my vehicle, I noticed a hesitation between 20 - 40 mph. This is the first year for the Forester's to have a cvt engine so I thought it needed broken in. I also went through 3 cycles of filling up my gas tank from 3 different gas stations and the hesitation continued. The first time I brought it in the technician said he overfilled the oil a slight bit, removed it, and I should notice a difference. No difference. I brought my vehicle back to the dealership addressing the same issue. They performed the tests Subaru of America (soa) suggested and nothing was found. The last time it happened, > month ago, I feared an accident because it hesitated through an intersection. I returned the vehicle wanting answers. Subaru sent out their own technician to gather information to send to fuji and what I was told was that their equipment did not find anything wrong and that it was normal for a cvt engine. I test drove several more Foresters and they all had varying degrees of hesitation and all had different mileage on them.

- Harrisbug, PA, USA