2015 Subaru Forester brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Forester:

2015 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Nov 062016

Forester

Most recent near-miss fatal incident happened on Nov.6, 2016 driving on a highway at the speed of about 65- 68 miles, car suddenly died, and stopped completely without any warning signs and warning lights, it felt like car suddenly lost the power and completely stopped. When tried to re-start immediately, car didn't start. After a few minutes, car started. Total driving distance on the highway before this incident happened was about 260 miles. I was able to pull the car on the shoulder; I was driving in a right lane at the time of the incident. It could have been a major fatal accident, as I was driving on a 2 lane highway, 90 East thruway, because sudden change in the speed from 68 mph to zero speeds without any warning in a matter of less than 1 minute. There was lot of traffic on the thruway. Timing of the incident was at about 5 pm on Nov.6, 2016. There were 2 other passengers in the car. This was the scariest experience I ever had. Car was not set for cruise control while driving on the highway. There were no emergency lights or signs visibly or no noise alert at all. I took the car to Subaru dealer for a check on 11/ 8/2016 and reported this incident. Subaru dealer in service reported that they didn't find the cause for this near fatal incident. Second near miss fatal incident occurred on April 21, 2016 at about 3 pm.I was backing up the care in a driveway, vehicle suddenly would not stop, breaks didn't work, I had no control of the steering wheel. I was able to put the vehicle in the park to gain control of the vehicle again. I took the care for a service and reported this incident to Subaru dealer on April 22, 2016. Subaru dealer service department were not able to find the reason for this terrible incident. Speed at the time of the incident was 5 mph, estimated.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Jun 012016

Forester

Within the last year, I have experienced on three separate occasions, instances where the warning lights for various safety systems on my 2015 Subaru Forester will come on, indicating that the system has been disabled due to a malfunction. These lights always come on while driving, within 15 minutes of the car being started. The first two instances related to my air bags being turned off. When brought to a dealership, they had no explanation, and desired $70 to do an electrical assessment. When I brought it in for that, I was told that the car would have to be displaying the light at the time I brought it in, which the indicator light had turned off in between visits. Today, my ABS, traction control, and incline assustance lights came on, indicating that those systems were disabled due to a malfunction. I brought it to my dealer, who told me that the air pressure in the tires was responsible, which ranged from 28lbs to 35 lbs. I had my car serviced at said dealership 2 months ago and the pressure was 35 lbs each. It was suggested to me that the cause of this discrepancy was "parking my car in the sun." Both computer-related problems apparently didn't leave a code to be read, according to the dealership. Any information was wiped when the car was turned off.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Dec 032015

Forester

7 months old, 20,000 miles. Driving 65.6 mph, in light rain with cruise control on. 1st time driving in bad weather, noticed wind or flat tires causing sometimes side shaking. Stopped to check tires. Noticed no wind nor low tires pressure. Continued on. Had used cruise control on and off, and turning on and off the traction switch to find a pattern for the iradic driving. Could not id a cause. Continued driving. Car took a sudden jerk to the left, knew we were going to crash and could not turn steering wheel. 'crash'. we slid 40 feet down the center divide. The front wheels were still pointed straight ahead. The air bags did not deploy. We were lucky. The rear wheels had 'excessive wear', front wheels were in good condition. When the car was torn apart, the main pully had a 1" ding and the fan belt was knocked off the main pully and partically of the 2nd pully. The belt was on all the other pullies.. I believe the traction device malfunctioned when I was in cruise control, the left front wheel hydroplaned. And the brake was applied sending me into a out of control crash, that I could not steer out of. Subaru of America said wet payment, high speed and excessive wear on rear tires caused the accident. They documented the speed and wear of rear tires. Rain was very light, a drizzle. Highway was straight and light traffic. No debre on the highway.

- Shingletown, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Forester

While starting the car with only 2.2K miles the check engine light came on and disabled the vehicle dynamics control, the cruise control and the incline start assist leaving the vehicle without important safety features in bad weather conditions.

- Malverne, NY, USA