2.3

2008 Subaru Impreza drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Subaru Impreza:

2008 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 012012

Impreza 4-cyl

The clutch pedal on my 2008 WRX makes a loud creaking noise every time it's depressed (it will also pop if cold out). After reading other complaints online I found the entire clutch pedal bracket assembly (attached to the forward firewall) shifts approx 1/4 inch every time the clutch pedal is depressed, also causing the brake pedal to flex to the left. I can see at least two of my three spot welds securing the clutch pedal bracket to the forward firewall are broken. The whole clutch pedal assembly pulls away from the firewall every time the clutch pedal is depressed, the slave cylinder unit visibly moves. This allows the entire clutch pedal bracket assembly to move, causing the creaking noise. If the bracket completely separates from the firewall, the clutch may become completely inoperative, it already frequently feels like I cannot push the clutch in far enough to get it into gear. Feedback from the online forums shows Subaru is not addressing the problem of the faulty welds leading to expensive consumer repairs or alternative diy fixes.

- University Place, WA, USA

Mar 012012

- University Place, WA, USA

Jan 012013

Impreza 4-cyl

My clutch pedal starting squeaking in January. I thought it was squeaking because it was cold outside and thought that the problem would go away once the weather got warmer. However this is not the case and upon inspection, my spot welds are broken where the clutch attaches to the firewall. After a search, I have found that this is an extremely common problem with this model car and no recall has been issued. I have also found that many people have not had any luck at all by trying to get the dealer to fix the issue. It is definitely a flaw with the car and not an isolated incident with just me.

- Morganton, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Impreza 4-cyl Diesel

- Morganton, NC, USA

Jan 072013

Impreza 4-cyl

I noticed about 3 months ago my clutch assembly starting to squeak and started to stick when fully depressed. The past month driving is almost impossible with having trouble starting the car and almost having to jam gears just to shift. Took it to transmission shop 2 days ago and they told me that my clutch is completely gone. After going to them they found out what the issue was. The firewall where the master cylinder sits is completely cracked 2 ways. With ignition off you can pressing the clutch is see the firewall completely flexing without the car even being on. They told me there is nothing that they can do and told me to get in contact with the manufacturer.

- Centennial , CO, USA

Mar 042013

Impreza 4-cyl

Had a squeaky clutch pedal for the past few months. Yesterday it became very hard to shift into gear. I noticed when the clutch was depressed, both the brake and clutch pedals moved about 2" to the left. Looking further, it looks like the sport weld have given way where the brace mounts to the firewall. Researching I found many people with the same issue. Car is almost undriveable and unsafe.

- East Patchogue, NY, USA

Aug 152012

Impreza 4-cyl

My clutch bracket broke on the welds. This is an oem product that has a defect and it is well known on the internet and forums. Subaru of newton NJ refuses to fix the problem and was well aware. This was very dangerous for me since it happened on a highway at speeds of 65 mph. The bracket is broken and the clutch will not engage. I have noticed the firewall is cracking also. The brake pedal moves inches to the side when the clutch is pressed. This is a very dangerous problem. I am very disappointed with Subaru and the car only has 73K miles on it. I also filled with Subaru and I am awaiting answers.

- Blairstown, NJ, USA

Dec 212012

Impreza 4-cyl

My 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX has had a "hard clutch pedal". im an auto tech at a dealer so I took a look at it. I checked the spring and the pedal. I found the pedal would bend the mounting location under the dash when pushed in. I looked on the firewall under my wiper arms where the welds are at. The weld that holds the clutch and brake pedals to the firewall is cracked and now is cutting a hole in the firewall. I checked online for some help with the problem, and I found out im not the only one with this problem. I took the car to my local Subaru dealer. The dealer told me I needed a clutch. I ask them to look at the firewall welds that hold the clutch and brake pedals to the car. They told me to go away and not bring my car back to them! I called Subaru of America after this all happened. They told me to take it to another dealer. So I did to one " 3 hours away ". the next dealer told me the car is not safe to drive and weld is cracked on the firewall, and they called Subaru of America (soa.) soa never called the dealer back and I took the car home and waited. They called me 5 days later and told me I would have to pay 1/2 of the bill to fix the oem defect on the firewall welds. I feel as though they don't care about this safety issue even though after some research online it is clear that im not the only one having this same issue. I have videos and pictures showing the defective welds and can produce them for you. I noticed this issue around 58000 miles. Vehicle now has 60500 miles. Updated 02/19/13

- De Soto, IA, USA

Oct 012012

Impreza 4-cyl

Clutch pedal on 2008 WRX has developed a creaking noise every time it is depressed. Brake pedal shifts forward and to the left upon depression of clutch pedal. This is a reasonably well documented problem of the clutch pedal assembly spot weld joints failing.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Impreza 4-cyl

For at least 20,000 miles now (I'm at 55,000) I have had a very stiff clutch pedal and terrible squeak with every depression of the clutch. My clutch is slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th. This was reported and diagnosed under warranty around 30,000 miles by the pembroke pines Subaru dealership. Subaru of America requested that the pressure plate and possibly the clutch be replaced (ignoring my statement that the tack welds holding the clutch assembly in place were snapped -- which they are, effecting engagement and likely damaging the clutch/pp/flywheel). After moving to asheville, nc right at the time of soa making this request, the Subaru dealership (prestige) refused to honor soa's request stating they were a franchise dealership and did not have to listen. I expect the pressure plate & clutch, along with the firewall welds, to be repaired under soa warranty.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jan 052010

Impreza

The contact owns a 2008 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that after engaging and releasing the clutch, he heard a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the throw out bearing and clutch were defective and needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 49,000.

- St Marys, FL, USA

Feb 062012

Impreza 4-cyl

The clutch pedal on my 2008 WRX makes a loud creaking noise every time it's depressed. When I investigated the noise, I noticed that the entire clutch pedal bracket assembly (attached to the forward firewall) shifts approx 1/4 inch every time the clutch pedal is depressed. I found that the three spot welds securing the clutch pedal bracket to the forward firewall were broken. From the outside of the firewall, just under the windshield wipers, I saw the spot welds pulling away from the firewall every time the clutch pedal was depressed. This allows the entire clutch pedal bracket assembly to move, causing the creaking noise. If the bracket completely separates from the firewall, the clutch may become completely inoperative - especially dangerous while driving...I also have a vide file if needed.

- Taneytown, MD, USA

Jul 302010

Impreza 4-cyl

There started to be a clicking / squeaking sound when depressing the clutch. Brought the car to multiple dealerships to diagnose the problem without any answers - they continued to apply lubricant. Made it to 106,000 miles on the original clutch, had it replaced as routine maintenance with the goal of the sound going away. The sound and clicking continued, yet the car continued to drive normally. At the time of clutch replacement, the entire pedal assembly moved as one unit when depressing the clutch - this continued to be an undiagnosed problem (yet the car continued to drive normally). Brought car to dealership for routine maintenance, again complained about the noise - was informed about the firewall weld issue being the cause for the noise. Firewall welds were replaced without cost to me. Upon picking up the car, the squeaking and clicking noise was still present. Upon inspection under the steering column / dash, it was noted that a connecting bar (clutch / brake) was fractured and flexes upon depression of the clutch. Estimated cost of repair is about $1000. I have called Subaru of America, and they are investigating about whether or not this will be covered. I will not purchase a Subaru again. This is my first Subaru, and it will be my last.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Oct 162012

Impreza

The car began making a loud squealing noise when the clutch was depressed, it stalled out 5 times in 11 blocks, and it started to smell. I stopped at the nearest mechanic to my work and they were nice enough to let me leave it there for the day even though they do not do clutch work. After numerous discussions with Subaru service, they finally seemed to agree to work with me and investigate why this happened. At first, they seemed to want to disregard the problem because I am a woman and they really made it sound like I was to blame (ie, bad driving). I explained to them over and over that my other car is a 15 year old manual jetta with the original clutch, so the problem is not bad driving. After much back and forth, Subaru paid for the entire replacement of the clutch and throwout bearing, as well as some hydraulic hoses and even the tow to the dealer. In the end, I was happy with the end result, but I really think that Subaru needs to own up and admit that something is wrong with the 2008 Impreza clutch.

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Jul 012011

Impreza

This car is a lemon. I previously owned 2 Subaru (both used), that I had virtually zero problems with, then bought this new from apple Subaru in york, pa. It has experienced problems before it even hit 50,000 miles. The tranny they replaced under warranty; but it took them 3 weeks to do so, and only completed job when they needed the loaner car back within 24 hours. Less than 6,000 miles later, on christmas eve, the clutch throw out bearing failed, I had to pay for towing to and from the dealership. They called ON12/26, and informed me that it would not be covered under warranty ( even though they easily could have rushed the tranny job and caused this), that it was a "wear point." When I heard $1700, asked to speak with the service mgr., who inferred that I was ignorant, and hung up on me! I have never replaced a clutch in nearly 40 years of driving manual transmission autos. Motor now taps at 69,000 mi.; needs replacement because one of the connecting rods is bent, and I am beginning to lose oil. Because of this, I am going to take a 50-75% reduction on the sale/trade value of this haunted vehicle. I am the third family member that Subaru has screwed, sure hope they treat their other loyal, decades-long customers better than they have treated us.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 192012

Impreza 4-cyl

A loud squeak is occurring when I press and release my clutch. I had my clutch replaced about 10K miles ago due to a seized throwout bearing. I brought it to the dealer, they lubed it all up but squeak is still there. The tech said the noise is actually coming from the bracket that is mounted to the firewall under the dash. After a few hours of research, I have found numerous posts about this issue and it lies with the welds holding the bracket being faulty and breaking. This causes the firewall to flex and your whole pedal assembly, clutch and brake, to move around while in operation.

Jul 192012

Impreza 4-cyl

A loud squeak is occurring when I press and release my clutch. I had my clutch replaced about 10K miles ago due to a seized throwout bearing. I brought it to the dealer, they lubed it all up but squeak is still there. The tech said the noise is actually coming from the bracket that is mounted to the firewall under the dash. After a few hours of research, I have found numerous posts about this issue and it lies with the welds holding the bracket being faulty and breaking. This causes the firewall to flex and the whole pedal assembly, clutch and brake, to move around while in operation.

Nov 052011

Impreza 4-cyl

I bought my car used, 38 months old and 33,000 miles, and noticed the clutch was very hard to press down. I thought since its a performance driven car, that's just the way it was. After driving for about 3000 miles I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and when I pressed in the clutch there was a loud pop. The throwout bearing seized and completely disabled the clutch assembly. I was told that the throwout bearing wasn't sliding all the way out so the clutch was always somewhat engaged and this is what caused the failure. They said everything needed to be replaced; throwout bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, and flywheel.

Jan 012010

Impreza 4-cyl

I bought used 11/2009 with approximately 27,000 miles. The clutch was always very stiff which I assumed was normal. Shortly after purchase I began to notice a squeak when I depressed the clutch. The squeak was fairly intermittent but became progressively worse for a time and then turned into a clicking noise. It was frequent enough to be annoying but I just assumed the clutch assembly was squeaky and there was no other problem. Over the last few months I have been having more and more difficulty engaging the clutch and assumed that I needed a new one. I took the car into a mechanic to replace the clutch but was turned away because of what he found: When the clutch pedal is depressed, it, along with the brake pedal, move to the left and forward. Furthermore, the slave cylinder inside the engine compartment moves out and up when the clutch pedal is depressed. After doing some research online I have found that this is not an uncommon problem for the Subaru clutch assembly, though no recall has be initiated. What happens is that the welds on the firewall break, causing the abnormal movement of the clutch and brake pedals and even a warping of the firewall, not allowing the clutch to disengage.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Apr 102012

Impreza

The contact owns a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX. The contact stated that he experienced difficulty shifting gears at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the contact was informed that the clutch assembly broke loose from its weld. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA