2009 Subaru Impreza engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Impreza:

2009 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Sep 232014

Impreza 4-cyl

While driving on I-74 between cincinnati oh and indianapolis in I noticed the development of a engine knock at around shelbyville in. No warning lights were illuminated but I pulled over and inspected the engine and could not find anything obviously wrong so I continued on my trip. After reaching I-465 in indianapolis the knock began to get progressively worse. At the intersection of I-465 and I-65 the car without warning engine shutdown and I lost all functionality (power steering, turn signals, etc). At the time of power loss I was traveling at approximately 65 mph during rush hour in the fast lane. Luckily the driver behind me was following at a safe distance and I was able to avoid a collision and safely get onto the left hand shoulder. I was then able to get the car restarted and attempted to get off of I-465 for my safety. However, at the next exit the engine once again shutdown. I was once again able to safely get to the shoulder but was unable to get the car started again. Based on feedback from the dealer and my experience as a mechanical engineer I believe that the cause of this catastrophic failure was a failed bearing within the engine. The fact that this potentially fatal failure could occur without warning on a car that is less than 6 years old with less than 100K miles is very concerning to me. If the other drivers on the interstate had not been paying as close attention as they were I believe that this crash could have been fatal to myself and potentially others. My car has had all scheduled maintenance and oil changes and is well cared for so the early catastrophic failure of the engine cannot be due to neglect. Subaru has estimated the cost of the repair at $11K for the replacement of the entire engine and is currently not offering to cover any of the costs even though the failure was caused by a defective engine and not due to lack of maintenance.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Nov 282012

Impreza 4-cyl

Engine rod bearing failure @ 64000 miles with regular oil changes. Dealership said it was due to insufficient lubrication; however, there was plenty of oil when I brought in the car and oil was never added to change their judgment. This, in my opinion, is "not" due to lack of oil. This is a manufacturing problem. Build date was Aug. 9th 2008. There are many other people who have experienced this same problem from the start. I don't understand why there hasn't been issued a recall if soa knows of these hundreds of issues. There's nothing like buying a $25,000 lemon!

- Vancouver, WA, USA