2012 Subaru Impreza brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Subaru Impreza:

2012 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Sep 282016

Impreza

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Impreza. While driving 30 mph, the bolt attached to the brake caliper fractured. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Aug 082016

Impreza

Car with only 65,000miles, minimal braking since live and travel on country road. Had rear brake pads replaced. One month later, after long drive then car sitting for a week, master cylinder failed. Noted no brakes when started up the car again.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Jul 312015

Impreza

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Impreza. While driving at 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. As a result, the contact crashed into a metal power box and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Renton, WA, USA

Dec 162013

Impreza

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Impreza. While driving on an icy road at approximately 30 mph, the brakes were engaged and failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into the preceding vehicle and the frontal air bags failed to deploy. It was unknown if any injuries were sustained or if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound yard and then to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Raspid City, SD, USA

Jan 012014

Impreza

Addendum to 12/30/13 complaint: In addition to the previously outlined problems: 1. car is now loosing oil. At 26,500 miles the low oil level light came on. Checked oil level and revealed car had lost approx 1.5-2 qt since last regularly scheduled oil change. 2. brakes squeal when you first compress the pedal. I had the brakes inspected and was told nothing was wrong with them or the brake pad. I do not think this is normal to occur every time you touch the brakes unless something is wrong. Brakes did not start making noise until 25,000 miles. * confidence this car is trustworthy. Seriously worried about its reliability/ cost to repair after warranty expires.**

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jan 282013

Impreza

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle continued to accelerate until constant pressure was applied to the brakes. The failure recurred three times. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V562000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 122013

Impreza 4-cyl

This issue has happened twice, so I feel it's necessary to report it to the NHTSA. The first time this issue was happening, I was following another car going slightly downhill at about 30mph. The posted speed limit was 35mph so I felt like I was constantly switching back and forth between throttle and brake, but not so quickly as to press them at the same time. When this issue occured, there were three solid yellow/orange/gold (depending on how you look at colors) lights lit up solidly in the instrument cluster: The traction control light, the ABS light, and the hill hold assist light. I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot which was about 15 feet away. I tried everything to get the lights to go away before turning the car off, and when nothing worked I finally just cycled the ignition off then back on. All three magically went away by doing this. The second time this happened was only a few days ago and I was literally just sitting in my driveway on a level surface. My house is recessed into the ground about 10 feet from the top of my driveway, where the top is actually level and it is where I was sitting at. Sitting there, I revved my engine and slowly rolled down the driveway (in neutral, so I didn't go anywhere). Before the rpms went back to an idle I started rolling down our driveway (which is at least a 30 degree slope downhill) but when rolling down I was definitely on the brakes a little as to not go even past 1mph -- so very slow. I noticed all three lights came on again. This time I decided to let it sit for a while so I can try even more troubleshooting. Still no results unless I cycled the ignition. I took it into the dealer today for an ECM update they sent me in the mail, and they said they did see a "brake switch error" for code "history" but there were no current codes. A simple google search shows hundreds of people with the same problem.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA