7.8

2014 Subaru Impreza engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Impreza:

2014 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Nov 052015

Impreza

About 6-8 months ago as I was making a turn I pressed the brake pedal and instead of slowing down the engine throttled up. And after a few moments went back to normal. Two weeks ago as I pressed the brake pedal while coming to a stop sign the engine throttled up and I had difficulty coming to a stop. I put the car in park and turned it off. When I started it again the engine immediately went to high throttle to the point that the front of the car started vibrating. I turned it off again and restarted it and this time it was ok. I took the car into the Subaru dealership. Their mechanic ran the diagnostics and was unable to pin point the problem. They decided to call the Subaru technical department and were told to not let me drive the car until their engineer took a look at the problem. This was a week ago and I have not been able to find out what they have found.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Impreza

Check oil light first came on at 5000 miles. After checking the oil, it was determined that I was down two quarts of oil. I got a complete oil change with synthetic oil which is not cheap. Oil light again came back on after another 2500 miles. Had to add another quart of oil. Dealership said this rate of oil consumption was normal, however I insisted on an oil consumption test. Having to add oil three times in 9000 miles for a brand new car is not normal no matter what the dealership says. I had a 2011 Subaru Impreza sport and the same thing happened. I actually ran myself out of oil and the car stalled going 45 miles an hour down the freeway. I limped it to the dealership and they said I must have had a major oil leak. My garage was and is clean of any signs of an oil leak. I was not even due for an oil change when the car stalled and was out of oil. I traded the 2011 Impreza sport for a 2014 Impreza sport because I thought the 2011 must have been a lemon. It is expensive to keep having to add synthetic oil to a brand new car between oil changes to keep it running, and I traded in a car with no car payment to get another car with the same issue. Yet, I see there is still no recall for either the 2011 or 2014. Someone else is going to have to stall at high speeds and crash before anything is done by Subaru to address and correct the problem, apparently.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Mar 252014

Impreza 4-cyl

Check oil light first came on at 2500 miles, had to add a quart of oil and also got a complete oil change. Had to add another 1/2 quart of oil at 6000 and another one again at 9000 due to check engine light coming on. At 2500, dealership said this oil consumption rate was normal. At 9000, during another minor service, was again told my current rate of oil consumption was normal. However, having to add oil three times in 9000 miles for a brand new car doesn't seem safe.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 092014

Impreza

The contact owns a 2014 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine suddenly stalled. The vehicle restarted immediately and resumed in normal operation. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 424. The VIN was unavailable.

- Waltham, MA, USA