4.3

2014 Subaru Impreza seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Impreza:

2014 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Sep 222016

Impreza

We have noticed that the airbag sensor light will come on at random times while we are driving. We noticed this issue soon after our lease began, in early 2014. We have been unable to establish if there is a pattern or reason that the light goes on. Once the light comes on, it does not go off until the engine is turned off. Initially, this happened maybe once a week or so, but we have noticed that lately it happens more frequently. We have discussed this problem with our local Subaru dealer (wayne NJ Subaru). Although we brought the problem to their attention, they never advised us that there had been a recall for this exact issue with previous year Imprezas. It was only when we researched this problem on-line that we discovered that there was in fact a recall for this exact same issue, with earlier year Imprezas. The dealer has told us that it would cost approximately $1,000 to have the problem fixed, as it involves replacing the seat. This car is a lease. We do not feel that we should have to pay for a repair of something that is a widespread problem among Subaru Imprezas. We feel that our car should be repaired under this recall. Needless to say, this problem is alarming, as we are concerned about whether the air bag would function properly if the car was involved in an accident. Please advise how we can resolve this issue.

- Pompton Plains, NJ, USA

Feb 152016

Impreza

I am presently traveling 60mph on the freeway. I am sitting in the passenger seat. The passenger airbag off light is on. I can only assume this has to do with my bottom being slightly damp after snow sports. I assume this because the previous times that this happened and I took it to the dealership in Aurora Colorado I was told "the sensor will turn the airbag off if there is any moisture on the seat or if electronics are set on or near the seat. I was told not to do those things. I cannot see how this can be considered safe.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Feb 072016

Impreza

Sensor for the air bags isn't working right. It turns the passenger air bag off when people much heavier than 80 pounds are in the front seat. When no one is in the seat, sometimes the passenger air bag comes on. This happens both in park and when I am driving.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Aug 222015

Impreza

Passenger air bag lights turns off after some time driving with a 200 lb passenger in the passenger seat. The light starts off on and turns off meaning the air bag will not deploy. Subaru dealer reviewed problem and did not find anything wrong except for some historical wet sensor error codes. This is unsafe as as the air bag won't deploy if I have a crash. I have the dealer paperwork where they tested it and did nothing !!

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 102015

Impreza 4-cyl

To whom it may concern my son has a 2014 Subaru Impreza. Leased brand new. While driving home from the beach and after drying off the passenger noticed that the air bag deployment light was not on. I took the car to the dealer in ramsey New Jersey "invoice 244854.they had the technicians look at the car and what they told us was very upsetting and seems ridiculous. If the passenger seat is the least bit damp the air bag will not deploy. I have in writing from Subaru, owner?S manual page 1-47. So if there is a child that is a passenger and he spills a soda or even water there could be a problem. How many passenger drink coffee on their way to work. The advice from Subaru is that if the seat gets wet have the passenger sit in the back until it totally dries. What ? this is an accident waiting to happen?.remember takata. I can"T believe a company like Subaru cannot fix this problem, I understand that it may also be an issue with the outback and forester. All models if true are advertised for the out doors. Updated 11/25/15

- Washington Twsp, NJ, USA