Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: This new kid on the block has already earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick award for good ratings in 4 crash tests - moderate overlap frontal, side, rear and rollover.

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek:

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Owner Comments

Mar 252016

XV Crosstrek

I bought my 2013 Subaru Xv crosstrek in Nov 2012 as a result of reviewing Subaru's high safety rating and reading their symmetrical all-wheel drive system. I still enjoy the car very much and have driven about 86,640 miles. I serviced my car at my local Subaru dealer to stay on top of the manufacturer' recommended maintenance schedule. However, I am concerned about 2 problems I the last 9 months. At 58,223 miles (June 2015) I took my car to into the dealer for its routine oil change and tire rotation. I explained I've been hearing a clicking noise in the front when turning left. After their inspection of the problem, they explained that the left front axle has a torn boot. Fortunately, my warranty covered the replacement axle. In Mar 2016 (at approximately 86K miles on the odometer) I heard a similar clicking sound coming from the front of the car when turning right or left. I took it to the dealer for service. This time it was my right axle that had to be replaced due to a worn out joint at the wheel end of my right axle. I have never had an issue with a broken axle and especially 2 broken axles. I used to drive a Toyota 4 runner 2 wheel drive and drove it about 310K miles. I passed it to my son since it still runs well and never broke an axle. I decided to review my service record back in June 2014 again for the left broken axle and it states "verified concern found noise coming from left front axle no boots torn. Prior to this, I texted my service person and asked what boot was torn, not knowing my service records says no boots were torn. I was told he would check and get back to me. Meanwhile, I am disappointed that both axles broke on a new car and now learned that other drivers experienced simiilar axle replacements. The 2nd issue is that the rear end of the car abruptly kicks to the right when driving over ice above 45mph.

- Castaic, CA, USA

Oct 072015

XV Crosstrek

Recently, with only 60,434 miles (and actually a little before this), the axle had to be replaced on my 2013 crosstrek Subaru. I was told that this was due to bad roads. But, after having owned many cars, never has an axle had to be replaced. I am writing because there is another owner of a 2013 crosstrek who had the same issue, noted on this website and was given the same excuse that I was. Clearly, there is a problem mechanically with these axles. In fact, their advertisement for the crosstrek shows the vehicle on a bumpy dirt road. There is a problem here.

- Chepachet, RI, USA

Feb 212015

XV Crosstrek

This car is absolutely scary on ice or snow. It may have a design flaw or something like that, but is extremely unstable on ice or snow. When you hit a patch of ice, the AWD system pushes the tail out and makes the car feel like it will spin out. On roads where others are progressing in complete control, this car is going 40 with flashers on with the driver hanging on for dear life. This needs to be investigated before someone gets killed.

- Painted Post, NY, USA

Jan 012015

XV Crosstrek 4-cyl

2013 Subaru Xv crosstrek. Customer says vehicle has numerous issues and can't get them fixed because vehicle is not under warranty. The consumer stated the vehicle lacked power, the steering pulled severely to the right, the brakes felt spongy and it often felt as though, the vehicle would not stop. When the windshield wipers were on, the brakes vibrated.

- Chimacum, WA, USA

Oct 082013

XV Crosstrek 4-cyl

The vehicle has a continuously variable transmission. When approaching a stop light or stop sign I remove my foot from the gas pedal and then the vehicle starts to slow down. When the engine RPM's reach around 1400 RPM the vehicle quits slowing down and continues forward at what ever speed it is at. The car may not be accelerating but it feels like it is because it quits slowing down. If I touch the brake a bit the engine again slows down until it reaches the idle RPM of about 750. On several occasions I have had to quickly hit the brakes to avoid hitting the vehicle in from of me. I purchased the vehicle in Minnesota and noticed the problem within the first week but didn't pursue it until I got to Texas as this is where the vehicle will be kept. The Texas Subaru service found no diagnostic codes and drove the vehicle with me and noticed what I did. The Texas Subaru service manager had me drive a 2014 and it does the same thing but seems to start slowing down again once it has done the acceleration at 1400 RPM for a second or two. They opened a tech line case file but say there is nothing else they can do. I feel this is a safety issue that will cause an accident, maybe not for me as I now keep my foot on the brake whenever slowing down, but certainly for others.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA