CarComplaints.com Notes: This new kid on the block has already earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick award for good ratings in 4 crash tests - moderate overlap frontal, side, rear and rollover.

7.2

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek:

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Owner Comments

Feb 212015

XV Crosstrek

We went skiing with our kids last Saturday. There was an ice storm the night before and the roads were bad. We were traveling about 50 miles. I have driven icy roads my whole life and have owned several Subaru. At any speed over 45 mph the back end would kick sideways. I could tell by the other car's on the road that day that my problem was unique. This is a very dangerous situation with drivers that are not used to winter driving. When I purchased the car they told me to rotate the tires at the correct intervals because the computer will adjust the speed of the tires separately. I think the computer adjustments are the problem. It must be able to tell if is slipping and adjust the speed of the rear tire and kick it sideways. It is impossible to tell how many car accidents have happened because of this. A small amount of research on the internet revealed this is a common complaint with this vehicle.

- Butte, MT, USA

Jan 012015

XV Crosstrek 4-cyl

2013 Subaru Xv crosstrek. Customer says vehicle has numerous issues and can't get them fixed because vehicle is not under warranty. The consumer stated the vehicle lacked power, the steering pulled severely to the right, the brakes felt spongy and it often felt as though, the vehicle would not stop. When the windshield wipers were on, the brakes vibrated.

- Chimacum, WA, USA

Dec 302013

XV Crosstrek

My wife and I used to love this car but......while driving my relatively new 2013 crosstrek 11,000 miles from Wisconsin to detroit to attend the winter hockey classic had repeated problems with ghostwalking. (this is my 4th Subaru and my 36th winter driving season so not an inexperience problem.) it was snowing but the roads were clear of thick snow but had a thin greasy sheen. It was difficult to keep a straight line and the rear end felt like it wanted to spin out (the old rear wheel drive feel) especially if the wind blew. Most cars were passing me old new big small. As a Subaru driver I am used to passing others on winter roads and did not like feeling like the little old man everyone was steering around. Thinking the problem was the factory installed tires, we bought new snow tires for $925 at belle tire the morning of the return home. Similar weather (snowy blowing greasy roads). The car handled slightly better. But each time we got up to speeds over 40 mph the car would try to turn abruptly whenever we went under or over an overpass on a straightaway....very nerve racking. Ended up bailing out in a hotel in toledo until the next morning when the roads were mostly bare and dry. I am very familiar and like the feeling of the AWD kicking in to enhance the traction and control of the car. In this situation it feels like the AWD is kicking in and trying to turn the car anytime there is a slight slick spot. Did check to see if the car would try to drift left or right on a dry flat straightaway (goes straight). I am hoping the problem is related to a rear end alignment issue but disconcerted by my car which feels dangerous when I most need it to be reliable. Very similar complaint descriptions on this website for outbacks described as ghostwalking.

- Viroqua, WI, USA

Jan 042014

XV Crosstrek 4-cyl

After parking the car in -18 degree air temperature, for only 20 minutes, the power steering stopped working. I called the dealer from where I bought the new car 2 months earlier, to ask for an appointment. The service department at charlie's motor mall in augusta, Maine said that they had three incidences of this happening the day before and that is weather related. She told me that all they do is park the car inside, let it warm up, then return it to the owner. I find that "solution" unacceptable. This is a real safety concern as the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn.

- Mount Vernon, ME, USA