NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2.9

hardy worth mentioning

2005 Suzuki Forenza electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Suzuki Forenza:

2005 Suzuki Forenza Owner Comments

Jul 012013

Forenza 4-cyl

When I had bought this car in 2010 I was having problems with the headlights turning off at night and had to drive with my high beams on. So I took it into the dealership and they told me that the recall for my car had already been repaired. Received another notice in 2012 regarding the recalled splice pack. Took vehicle in to dealer a second time to have part fixed on 11/12/12 part 99963-85zsc was repaired after fixed I began having issues with the speakers, stock radio as well as the trunk light blinking and check engine light staying on. On July 1, 2013 I had parked my Suzuki Forenza at a coffee house and when I came out to vehicle the inside of cab was full of smoke. I had inspected vehicle to make sure there wasn't a fire. Smoke was coming from dashboard left of the steering column. We had disassembled the plastic around the steering wheel to discover that the wiring that controlled the lights, headlights, and blinker had been melted into the connector causing the lights to stay on when vehicles ignition was off. Took it to the dealership to be diagnosed. Description was; "vehicle suffered internal failure within mult ifunction switch that has caused a thermal melting of the connectors at the back of the multi function switch and wiring harness" part SM37420-85Z10 switch assembly and SM36620-85Z70 harness assembly. Estimated repairs $1,570.. I believe that all this is caused by improper repair of recalled spice pack due to the components that melted are connected to it. Please look into this issue my car is still at the Suzuki dealership. And has taken almost two weeks for them to repair. Said vehicle wont be done until Friday July 13, 2013 due to not having the parts in stock.

- Blythe, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Forenza

Car accelerates very slowly. It will stall out if the gas pedal is floored. The check engine light will blink until the car is turned off. The check engine light will stay on for sometimes a few days at a time and then turn off. Others have complained about the transmission range sensor going up many times.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jan 122013

Forenza

Back in Nov 2012 I took my 2005 Suzuki Forenza in for a recall repair as suggested the recall was on the wiring harness that put the headlights on and off (I had been having trouble with my headlights popping on and off at random times) so after I obeyed the recall I noticed that the problem was fixed so in Jan 12 2013 my car was sitting at a local applebees parking lot completely turned off nothing plugged in no lighters in the car just sitting there when someone ran into the restaurant and shouted "whose gold Suzuki is that? its on fire" needless to say when I ran out the dashboard was completely in flames the fire dept came to rescue and at my request a fire investigator investigated the incident and concluded that the fire started as a result of a electrical short in the wiring harness...(yes the "recalled'' "fixed" part) the actually dealership that "fixed" the recalled part has already stated that they arent taking responsibility for it & I am waiting to Suzuki corporate to conclude their findings I truly hope Suzuki does the right thing in this unfortunate matter if not I am prepared to take legal action but im praying they will do the right thing and take responsibility.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 172009

Forenza

After first purchasing the car, there were problems accelerating and then car failed. Power steering had to be fixed, timing belt replaced. A few months later speakers started to go in and out, radio lights come on and off, etc. In 2010 headlights failed. Being a broke college student I rode with my brights for almost a year until I looked up the recall online and got that fixed at the dealership. 2011 replaced speakers, still don't work on entire right side of car and back of driver side. One speaker works, very weak and sometimes goes out completely. Interior lights go in and out. Started to leak oil, had to have head gasket replaced under warranty, then had to have radiator hose replaced. 2012 timing belt pops, engine damaged costing almost $2000. Today December 2012, radiator cracks all the way open in the middle of holiday traffic. Terrible horrible car to be a 2005. Seems like I can't go a month without something else going wrong. Feels unsafe at all times!

- Chapin, SC, USA

Sep 282012

Forenza

The contact owns a 2005 Suzuki Forenza. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 07V452000 (exterior lighting) and took the vehicle to the dealer where recall repairs were performed. After the repairs, the wiring for the headlights became burned, causing the head lights, air bags and the radio to fail. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer and was advised that the recall repairs caused a small fire in the wiring under the dashboard. The dealer performed a second repair at no cost to the contact however, the failure recurred. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign id number:12V397000(electrical system:wiring;interior/under dash) for the wiring harness but was told by the manufacturer that even though the dealer had stated that the previous recall repair caused the wiring failure, they would only cover the exact component that was listed in the recall and the contact would be liable for any additional repairs. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 126,000.

- Logan, WV, USA

Aug 012012

Forenza

Air bag light on since bought car in 2006. Wiring for airbags has been replaced once still an issue at owner expense. Outlet and lighter stop working year after car was bought. Headlight wiring replace twice and day lights still only comes on some times.

- Dublin, VA, USA

Jan 062012

Forenza

My car has been properly maintained and has a little over 65,000 miles and the transmissions range sensor circuit has started malfunctioning.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 052012

Forenza

Headlight switch has melted wires now the headlights will not work. There was a recall to fix melted wires in a splice pack but Suzuki will not honor it because now the wires are melted in the headlight switch. This is a fire hazard and they should be held accountable.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jul 202011

Forenza 4-cyl

Both headlights fail to turn on upon starting the car. In addition, the airbag warring light all of a sudden came on and stays on.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Forenza

The headlamps on the car do not work all I can use are the high beams, the inside lighting for the radio do not work either and the paint is peeling off the car.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Sep 052007

Forenza 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Suzuki farenza. The contact stated that on seven separate occasions after driving the vehicle and then attempting to restart the vehicle, the vehicle would not start. The vehicle has been taken to a dealer on seven separate occasions. They replaced the alarm, battery, fuses, radio, day time running lights, batter, and ignition fuses. The contact is still experiencing the same non-start problem with the vehicle. This last time the check engine light illuminated on the dash board, then the vehicle started hesitating and loosing power. The current mileage was 26,081 and failure mileage was 24,203.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 292007

Forenza 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Suzuki Forenza. On January 29, 2007 the interior of the vehicle caught on fire in the steering column while she tried to start the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The fire department stated that the cause of the fire was electrical. There were no warning indicator lights on the instrument panel during or prior to the fire. Also, there was no prior maintenance worked performed on the vehicle. The current and failure milege were 32,000. Phone interview update (8-may-2007): The complainant indicated that the high beams headlights often came on instead of the low beams.

- Alexandria , LA, USA

Oct 152006

Forenza 4WD 4-cyl

: the contact stated when the key was turned in the ignition, there was no engine response. The problem had occurred 3 times. The vehicle was not towed to the service dealer twice for service. On the first visit, the onboard computer was reset. On the second visit, the vehicle was started on the first attempt, so nothing was done, as the problem could not be recreated. The manufacturer was notified. The model of the vehicle was a Forenza. Updated 11/3/2006 -

- Saint Louis, MO, USA