NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Suzuki Forenza (Page 1 of 3)

2008 Suzuki Forenza drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Suzuki Forenza:

2008 Suzuki Forenza Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 082012

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 092012

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would fail to accelerate as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

May 012014

Forenza 4-cyl

I started the car. Let it idle for a minute to bring the RPM down. I tried to shift it to reverse but it would not go. It had an engine warning light on. I shifted back to park and turned the car off. I let it set for a minute then restarted it. When I shifted again, it clunked and would barely move. I shifted to drive and it clunked and would barely move. I am a single 55 year old woman. I work 2 jobs and live 8 miles out of town. I can't afford to have this car down. I bought it because of the low mileage. It only has 39,000 miles.

- Lovington, NM, USA

May 192014

Forenza 4-cyl

When my Suzuki Forenza 2008 hit around 60,000 miles I started having sporadic transmission issues, including not being able to reverse properly, mechanical sounds when shifting gears, not able to accelerate when on drive, it was very stiff and difficult to accelerate, my brother has the same vehicle and had this exact same issue and it turned out it was the transmission range sensor. I took it to the dealer and it was the exact problem, I had to replace my transmission range sensor and I currently have an internal failure with my transmission and I do not plan on investing any more money towards this vehicle as I have read that many drivers have gone this route and absolutely regretted it because of the continuing problems with the transmission and other issues.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 102014

Forenza 4-cyl

Starting in January 2014 car had approximately 75,000 miles on it and began lurching into gear from stopped. When put into reverse, jumps into gear. When put into drive after backing out of driveway lurches forward starting in 3rd gear and continues during driving. Husband diagnosed after much online research and a few months later, even taking code into dealership for repair. Dealer insisted they couldn't replicate and cleared code without making note of problem. My husband argued that we wouldn't be picking car up until the problem was replicated and taken care of. After insisting they couldn't replicate, we drove back to dealership and made service manager ride with husband until car "performed" malfunction, literally a half of a block from dealership. It was obvious they were avoiding problem and hadn't driven car at all! code was noted as 0700, just as my husband had reported initially. Transmission sensor was replaced and after diagnostics were finally properly performed, airbag light was also reset (has continued to come on almost entire time we've owned the car-were told our daughters long legs were kicking wires underneath drivers' side seat) and also made aware voltage is too high on drivers side but nothing was done to fix either. Dealership offered no solution. Spent $191.65 to fix transmission sensor. Originally charging $260+ but husband demanded reduction in diagnostic price due to the fact we had to drive back into town to dealership to duplicate problem for incompetent/unwilling service department. Very unsatisfied and will be looking into options after seeing transmission range sensor seems to be ongoing epidemic for many 2008 Suzuki Forenza owners. Have also had ongoing problems with seat airbag sensor not working on front passenger's side since 2009.

- Mulvane, KS, USA

Nov 132013

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated while driving at any speed, the vehicle would shift out of gear and fail to accelerate. The contact stated that the vehicle would pull in reverse, shift gears and would not return to the proper gear. The problem recurred three times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Belton, SC, USA

Apr 012014

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated that while shifting gears, the vehicle lunged forward. The contact also stated that the vehicle erroneously shifted into neutral. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000 and the current mileage was 111,027.

- Temple, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Forenza 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated that while he shifted gears he heard a noise and the gear shifter could not be released from second or third gear. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who advised that the transmission sensor was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 70,884.

- 201 Jay Street Stowe, PA, USA

Oct 102013

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph when the vehicle would not accelerate as the check engine light illuminated. The contact stated the dealer was contacted and the transmission range switch was replaced, remedying the defect. The contact was unable to contact the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Lebanon, OR, USA

Apr 102013

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the transmission independently shifted into neutral. The engine was turned off and restarted, however the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic numerous times. The transmission range sensor, head gasket and transmission were replaced at different times. In addition, the catalytic converter and coil pack were replaced. The failure continued after the repairs were performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Aug 142013

Forenza

I turned on the car, when I put into reverse it clunked and the screen that usually says R just had scrambled letters going then when I put it into drive it clunked again and when I drive it like that it starts in 2nd so I have to put a lot of gas onto it then it won't switch into 3rd gear, and every time I take it to a mechanic the check engine light goes off and it works fine.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 092012

Forenza 4-cyl

I have replaced the transmission range sensor in my 2008 Suzuki Forenza 3 times in the last year. Once at 95,000 miles, another at 101,000 miles, and now again at 109,000. I have attempted to contact Suzuki to no avail. The second time the sensor went out, I was merging on the highway and was nearly hit by a semi truck and trailer because I could not accelerate properly. The 3rd incident was yesterday 10/16/2013, I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a main road, when the sensor decided to slip, it moved the transmission into a high gear, causing me to inch out of where I was at in the middle of the road. Luckily, I was not hit. I would like to see Suzuki acknowledge the fact they need to do something about this issue. It appears to be a very common problem that multiple people are having online.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Forenza

Transmission range sensor went bad, had it replaced multiple times since the first incident yet the issue continues. Manufacture offers no solutions. Aftermarket part are just as faulty.

- Redmond, WA, USA

May 012012

Forenza

Multiple times the transmission thuds when shifting from park to reverse. Dash display does not show "R" but has an "X" through it. Turn car off and on about three times to try to get it to work properly. Eventually works ok for a while. Has happened multiple times. Car is sluggish to drive after this happens and engine revs too high. Check engine light comes on but goes off in a few days. Transmission range sensor is bad.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Sep 182013

Forenza 4-cyl

The contact owns 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact stated that the vehicle became unresponsive while attempting to accelerate from a traffic stop. The contact heard a loud bang as the vehicle began to roll away in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated the transmission range sensor would need to replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

May 152013

Forenza

The contact owns a 2008 Suzuki Forenza. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph when the vehicle stalled as the contact down shifted. The engine RPM's then decreased abnormally low. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and diagnosed that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

Forenza 4-cyl

Every time I change gears, my car thunks under the hood and my check engine light is continuously on. A machine was hooked up to my car and it reads that there is a bad transmission range sensor. I've done my research, and notice an unbelievable amount of complaints due to the same issue/part. When this happens in my vehicle, it drives very poorly and feels like it cannot shift into the correct gear. This is unsafe.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jul 292013

Forenza 4-cyl

My family and I were going down the road and there was a weird noise and the engine started to rev up and the speedometer was going down to 30 miles an hour, at the same time the RPM"S were going higher. I pulled to the side of the road because the shift gage on the instrument panel was flashing weird. It had a D with a line thru it. We had to shift it manually from 1st gear up to drive. It was scary since there was a truck with a trailer behind me coming up fast. It has done this to us twice in the last two weeks.I have seen that there are other people having the same problem or similar. Something should be done. When we have a warranty we still shouldn't have to pay a deductible for some problem with this brand car" power train and speed control sensors. Going out and needing to be replaced.

- Brainerd, MN, USA

Oct 092012

Forenza 4-cyl

While sitting at a stop sign, I decided I was a little to far into the road. I shifted into reverse and noticed it shifted really hard. I put it into drive and pulled out onto the road - again it shifted hard. When trying to speed up, the car wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, the check engine light came on and I couldn't speed up. I've been told it is a bad transmission range sensor.

- Carthage, NC, USA

Jul 302010

Forenza

I noticed my car having difficulty accelerating and it would occasionally feel the engine jump while driving. The check engine light was on. I was going down the interstate when the engine shut itself off. Luckily it turned itself back on and I was able to safely accelerate to speed. The shop said that it was the transmission range sensor and the transmission control sensor. A year ago the car was displaying funny symbols and would not start occasionally. Again the same sensors had to be replaced. A third time the car check engine light came on and the car was again having difficulty accelerating. The acceleration issue and the light are intermittent, it has now again begun doing the engine "jump" it is scary being at a light and not being able to move. It is very scary stopping to turn left into my apartment complex and not knowing if my car will respond when I have a gap in traffic to turn. Took it to a shop today to find out that the codes from the engine check light are again the transmission range sensor and the transmission control sensor. The car has under 65K and I have had these issues three times. I am thankful that it has not caused a major accident.

- Decatur, GA, USA