NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Suzuki Forenza (Page 2 of 2)

2008 Suzuki Forenza electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Suzuki Forenza:

2008 Suzuki Forenza Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012012

When shifting from park to reverse, the transmission thumps and the check engine light comes on. Car will only drive sluggishly. Goes away eventually, but has happened 3 times. Looking on internet, it appears to be transmission range sensor. Also, the brake shift interlock failed, and could not get the car out of park. Used the over-ride hole to get car out of park.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Dec 172012

Forenza 4-cyl

Please help! my 2008 Suzuki Forenza : is giving so much problems, I told the dealership and they said nothing is wrong. With the car, but the light stay on all the time, and I don't feel safe, can you help me?thank you for your help.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Forenza 4-cyl

One day, when I put my car in reverse, it "clunked" into gear, the gear display was scrambled, and the check engine light came on. I shut my car off and started it again, thinking it was a fluke. The check engine light remained on and it also "clunked" into drive. When I went to accelerate, the RPM's were 5-10 higher than normal and it took a little longer to "get up and go." Sometimes, my car will initially run fine until a few minutes into the drive, when it falls into neutral while driving, then goes back to drive, the check engine light comes on again, and the problems resurface. I took it to advanced auto parts and the machine said transmission control system but they said that could mean anything and would be fine to drive. After taken off the machine, the check engine light went off, only to come on again the next time I drove it. My brother (who has mechanical experience) cleaned the transmission sensor and filter, hoping it would help, but it didn't. as I go to a small town college three hours away from home and make a 3 minute drive to and from classes everyday, I let it be for the semester, insisting that it would eventually go away. Well, it's christmas and it never went away; each day I drive my car it presents me with the same problems. My brother took my car back to advanced auto parts and the machine read the same issues as before, plus a possible wire short. They didn't suggest any fixes so he checked for shorts in the wires and found none. It appears it must be the transmission range sensor. After reading up on the trs, it seems that this is an ongoing problem that many owners are experiencing as early as 30K miles on cars some bought new. I feel as though this issue has also caused other problems with my car (reduced gas mileage/battery failure) and is cause for a factory recall, as its appearance is widespread and the effects are numerous.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jul 162011

As I was driving, the car all the sudden slipped into neutral and showed a D with a slash through it. I pulled over and tried to put the car in park. The vehicle displayed I was in reverse. When I put it in drive it read neutral. When I started driving again, there was no power, as if I was in neutral. This has continued since.then, I have almost been hit.numerous times, once almost hit from the front and the rear when turning on a yielding green light and the car through itself into neutral. Also I have hit the gas in drive and gone backwards. I am very disappointed I have a 3 year old car with only 52,000 miles that is this dangerous for my two year old son and I. I have problems with this car daily.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Jan 202010

Forenza 4-cyl

Transmission range switch, fails to shift down during acceleration, may work for a while and then makes a clunk and fails again, causes check engine light to glow and may show a box with a diagonal line through it where the D for drive would be.

- Excelsior Springs, MO, USA

Oct 102008

Smoke and fumes coming thru vents. Check engine light keeps coming on. Purchased car new 05/06/2008, I have had problem since a few months after purchase. Transmission replaced twice and car still slips and hesitates and has cut off twice while in traffic since the transmission was replaced. Replace serpentine belt which warranty did not cover. Car has 29,500 mi. Loud squealing noise (this was why I paid to have the belt replaced because the dealership service center said this is what the original squealing was from) now they are saying the noise is coming from the tires but stated they did not have time to check it. My car was recently in the service center for 3 weeks because the transmission was bad and the first new replacement went bad during the test drive and they had to put a 3rd transmission inthe car and it still does not drive right. This car is unsafe. I am close to warranty ending and I feel this is why im getting the run around by the dealership. Car locks and unlocks on its own. Car will randomly miss while in drive (engine will rev up when I push the gas pedal with car in drive but will not move) I have to put it in park then put it in drive again to get it to work.

- Panama City, FM, USA