NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2.4

2007 Suzuki XL7 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Suzuki XL7:

2007 Suzuki XL7 Owner Comments

Oct 082015

XL7

Fuel pump defective. Fire hazard.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 262015

XL7

The contact owns a 2007 Suzuki XL7. While the vehicle was having the tires rotated by an independent mechanic, a crack in the fuel tank and a slow leak were discovered. The mechanic stated that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Jul 012015

XL7

The contact owns a 2007 Suzuki XL7. While driving at various speeds, there was an odor of fuel present inside the cabin of the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jan 072015

XL7

I was on my way to work on Wednesday night and my truck started jerking and loosing power. So I had to have it towed to the place that I'm financing it from their mechanic checked it out and told me it was the battery.so I bought a battery. It ran good so I decided to take it a little bit further and it done the same thing so I took it back to them again yesterday they tell me that they are busy and they can't get to it until today. I've missed 3 days of work because of their false answers.I don't want to be stranded on the road or for my truck to catch on fire because they can't get it fixed like they suppose to if I can't get to work they can't get paid and they will be ready to repo it.

- Clarksville , TN, USA

Nov 142012

XL7

My vehicle had the initial issue of the gas leak one week after purchase. My heat stopped working in 2010 and now when the car is stopped for gas, it won't restart normally, have to twist the key in the ignition several times before the vehicle starts. The engine light stays on and no one seems to know how to get it off making it difficult to get my car inspected. Any recalls that would explain any of these issues?

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 032014

XL7 6-cyl

This car is spilling fuel from the fuel pump and this can cause a fire in the car and can end up in a fatality.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Aug 112008

XL7 6-cyl

Vehicle was newly purchased in 2007 from Suzuki dealership. Grinding noise from steering wheel after 6months..told that it is rubber rubbing against rubber. Engine light remains on after having a problem with starting car after fueling. Constant problem with wheel alignment and tire wear.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Apr 232014

XL7

When put gas in doesn't start has to hold gas pedal down.. driving on hi way going 70mph on interstate 69. Had to come to abrupt stop truck shut off and would not start for few minutes in middle of highway. This has happened twice so far.and sometimes when speeding up it smells like something is burning.theres other stuff but not too major as these are.

- Marion, IN, USA

Feb 082008

XL7 6-cyl

The airbag system had to be replaced at 16,000 miles B/C of warping & the airbags beginning to release. Then, not 1 time but 3 times the visor assembly had to be replaced. At 26,900 miles I reported problems with the gear shift, A/C & radio assembly & this had to be replaced. I reported complaints of hearing a loud noise coming from my steering wheel column when driving & they stated that it was just rubber rubbing up against rubber. After 30,000 miles I took it back & complained & they said it was my steering column & pin that needed to be replaced & my warranty for that part was gone off. I had a problem with my car when I filled it up with gas the car would not crank properly & it ran ruff after putting gas in. The dealership replaced chain assembly, tensioners, timing chain, purge valve & etc. I had problems with the A/C & heat when I turned on the air with the control heat would blow out. I reported the problem but they said they could not duplicate it & that they found nothing. I had problems with the car battery & the mechanics said the battery was fine but I kept having problems with the battery being drained so I replaced the battery & the battery terminals. The electrical system for the passenger seat airbag sensor would not turn on when someone was sitting in the passenger seat the problem was not solved & still occurs. My car had to be towed into the dealership B/C the vehicle shut down due to sludge in my oil even after having my car serviced by a Suzuki dealership since buying the car new. I have reported complaints to Suzuki headquarters but they don't care. I think this vehicle is unsafe and a lemon & people should be compensated for investing in such a defective car. I have paid off the Suzuki & it is not worth trading B/C I can't get anything for it so please help consumers get their money back B/C Suzuki can have this SUV back.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

May 302013

XL7 6-cyl

There are multiple issues with my 2007 XL-7. most recently it's been the smell of burning wires coming from either the steering column or under the dashboard which I will need to get inspected asap. I read one other complaint posted on 2/29/12 stating the same problem of smelling burning wires which ended in the vehicle being engulfed in flames and the family running for their lives. I've already had a so called tune-up from the local dealer about 1 1/2 years ago, but I now have issues starting the vehicle when I get gas. I have to pump the gas pedal multiple times in order to start the SUV and then it's a rough idle until I start driving. I get the oil change regularly, but was told on the last oil change that I needed a new oil pan gasket because oil was leaking from the pan. I also had my brakes checked 2 years ago and was told by the mechanic that I have uneven brake pads due to the front brake calipers engaging incorrectly or on one side of the rotors. In order to replace the calipers, get new brake pads and turn the rotors on the front, it would cost me $400+ per the mechanic which I felt was ridiculous. I've never heard of faulty brake calipers on a vehicle below 5 years of age as I bought my XL-7 new in 2007 and the brake inspection was between 2009 and 2010. My windshield wipers failed one year to the point where I now have a scratch on my windshield. I like the style of the XL-7 and its horse power and it' has not failed me on long road trips, but the recent issue and past issues are very troublesome. I'm very close to paying my SUV off and no longer have the warranty so I have some decisions to make on whether I should invest the money or get rid of it. A recall on the electrical system should be implemented when considering all the past complaints. By the way, the dealer I purchased my XL-7 from no longer exists.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

May 292013

XL7

There are multiple issues with my 2007 XL-7. most recently it's been the smell of burning wires coming from either the steering column or under the dashboard which I will need to get inspected asap. I read one other complaint posted on 2/29/12 stating the same problem of smelling burning wires which ended in the vehicle being engulfed in flames and the family running for their lives. I've already had a so called tune-up from the local dealer about 1 1/2 years ago, but I now have issues starting the vehicle when I get gas. I have to pump the gas pedal multiple times in order to start the SUV and then it's a rough idle until I start driving. I get the oil change regularly, but was told on the last oil change the I needed a new oil pan gasket because oil was leaking from the pan. I also had my brakes checked 2 years ago and was told by the mechanic that I have uneven brake pads due to the front brake calipers engaging incorrectly or on one side of the rotors. In order to replace the calipers, get new brake pads and turn the rotors on the front, it would cost me $400+ per the mechanic which I felt was ridiculous. I've never heard of faulty brake calipers on a vehicle under 5 years of age as I bought my XL-7 new in 2007 and the brake inspection was between 2009 - 2010. My windshield wipers failed one year to the point where I now have a scratch on my windshield. I like the style of the XL-7 and it's horse power and it's not failed me on long road trips, but the recent issue and past issues are very troublesome. I'm very close to paying my SUV off and no longer have the warranty so I have some decisions to make on whether I should invest the money or get rid of it. A recall on the electrical system should be implemented when considering all the past complaints. By the way, the dealer I purchased my XL-7 from no longer exist.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Dec 312012

XL7

The contact owns a 2007 Suzuki XL7. The contact stated that there was a strong odor of fuel being emitted from the outside of the vehicle on the passenger's side. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the fuel pump would need to be replaced. The contact was also informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V597000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Margarte, FL, USA