NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2003 Acura MDX (Page 2 of 2)

2003 Acura MDX seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura MDX:

2003 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 272015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the navigation system failed to function properly. The failure recurred the same day that the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V349000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 232015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V349000 (air bags) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Feb 182015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000 (air bags); however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 052015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V351000 (air bags) and 14V349000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 102014

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal was applied and traveled to the floor board as the seat belt pretensioners deployed inadvertently and fractured. Additionally, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that both drivers side and front passenger side seat belt pretensioners needed to be replaced. The contact did not disclose if the vehicle was repaired or not. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 142014

MDX 6-cyl

2003 Acura MDX. Consumer would like to replace airbags on car but was unsuccessful, because no recall had been issued for the consumers model.

- New York, NY, USA

May 102014

MDX 6-cyl

My daughters MDX was driven by her son and he had to make a sudden stop under rainy conditions. There was no crash, and the slightest contact with the stopped car in front. There is no damage to either car, the touch was so slight there was not even a scratch nor a bent license plate. To our shock the steering wheel airbag had deployed and safety belts locked up. There is no way that airbag should of deployed. There is a recall for the airbag system. The dealer did part of several parts of the recall, but refused to replace the steering wheel airbag and repair the frozen front seat belts.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

May 222014

MDX

My son was driving in town normal speed it was raining, he had to make a quick stop to avoid a car in front of him that made a quick stop also. The bumpers barely touched, left no marks at all, not even to the front license plate. The airbag deployed and black and blued his arm. We received a recall notice for this 2003 MDX. Took it in to libertyville Acura and they fixed one part of the recall but refused to fix the deployed airbag and seatbelts. That's not right! the steering wheel airbag should not have deployed without a crash! what gives. A recall without repairs is nothing but lip service. How many of us are out there" how many others are or, were denied also" the car is still at the dealer. They have not fixed the problem.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Aug 172012

MDX 6-cyl

Front driver and passenger airbags suddenly deployed at 15 mphr for no obvious reason - heat from the deployed airbags caused skin burns on drivers forearm.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 042004

MDX 4WD

The airbag light on my 2003 Acura MDX came on 9/1/04. Acura bedford hills looked at the car on 9/2/04 and said there was a problem with the passenger airbag sensor, it was "safe to drive", and they'd order a new part. On 9/4/04, the car became fully engulfed in flames within 5 minutes of when we started the vehicle. The fire began under the passenger seat (I was sitting on it). The car was totaled, and my insurance company has hired a fire investigator. Acura has done nothing to date.

- South Salem, NY, USA

Sep 092003

MDX 6-cyl

I purchased a 2003 Acura MDX in December, 2002 from gillman Acura, houston Texas. On the date of my complaint, the vehicle had just over 11,400 miles. On Sept. 05, 2003, I hit a rock on the highway which punctured my left front tire and dented my wheel. Additiionally, the front seat belts locked up and are now not functioning. Additionally, the airbag light on my dash board is blinking. I took the vehicle into gillman Acura on 09/08, knowing I would pay for the wheel and tire. They (gillman Acura and Acura corporate, torrence, ca) informed me that the seat belts must be replaced at my cost (>$1,00O). They also claim the seatbelts functioned properly via the 'tensiones' locking up the seat belts. Additionally, they claim the blinking light for the passenger air bag may need to be computer controlled which also would be at my cost. This is totally contrary to gillman and Acura' written and implied warranties I received when I purchased the vehicle. They twist the warranty and an authorized representative from Acura has not even inspected my vehicle. I was told by Acura that they would look at it but the conclusion is final. They are not paying to get me seat belts into proper working order. Thus, I have a 2003 vehicle which is unsafe to drive and neglected by the manufacturer to take responsibility for thier warranty. Other dealers I have spoken with concur that gillman Acura is responsible for the repair. They have all informed me that seat belts are designed to lock and subsequently retract. It is a safety hazard to have any seat belt which locks up and does not release. I am requesting NHTSA asssist me in resolving this issue. I have had nothing but trouble from Acura since my purchase and they have blatantly lied to me on several occasions. Additonally, the tensioners

Sep 052003

MDX

Acura refuses to honor thier warranty on the seat belts of my 2003 MDX. Specifically, gillman Acura, houston, tx. Vehicle has 11,500 miles, seat belts are inoperable (locked up'), and they say they to not replace seat belts. This is contrary to all literature in their printed and implied warranties I received.

Sep 082003

MDX 8-cyl

The vehicle was involved in an accident in which it rolled over. Neither air bag deployed. There was no air bag light warning prior to the crash. A police report and pictures can be made available per consumer. The vehicle was a total loss.

- Dewey, AZ, USA

Sep 032003

MDX 6-cyl

When the vehicle ran over a bump in road the seat belt retractor receded and locked up. The passenger side air bag light also illuminated. The driver was unable to release the seat belt from the retractor. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have the mechanic check out the driver's seat belt retractor. The dealer indicated that the seat belt repair was not covered under warranty. The consumer was told that the seat belts were designed to lock up in certain situations.