NHTSA — Structure Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 2 of 9)

2004 Acura TL body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Aug 152014

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard has started cracking from 85000 miles onwards. Now by 124000 miles, the dash has so many cracks that I am worried that the airbags may pop out anytime soon. This is a big safety concern.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 022010

TL 6-cyl

In 2010 I took my TL in because my dash was showing cracks in it, Acura rep told me that they were aware that owners of other TL 's were complaining about it too. But he told me there was nothing he could do. As of today 08 11 2014 I have 11 big cracks in it. Acura needs to recall them and fix this.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 162008

The dashboard started cracking and keeps getting long where the airbag is on passenger side.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jul 122014

TL 6-cyl

While cleaning the inside of my 2004 Acura TL, I noticed that the dashboard over the passenger airbag was cracking. The cracking is in a symmetrically rectangular shape directly over the airbag. I checked with Acura and they claim that there is no recall or market action regarding this defect. I then googled "Acura cracked dashboard" and was astonished to find many other owners with the same problem and Acura claims no liability for this defect. I am concerned that the cracking may manifest as has happened with other complaints I saw on the internet. Not only is this unsightly, but from a safety standpoint, the continued cracking may compromise the integrity of the dashboard, ultimately deploying the airbag unnecessarily. Although the representative from Acura told me that they have received numerous other complaints, they refuse to acknowledge that this is a manufacturer's defect and only said that I should take my vehicle to an Acura dealer and self-pay for any repairs. With the numerous complaints, this is obviously a systemic problem and should require Acura to pay for any repairs before an injury occurs. I did see another market action involving Acura and Honda airbags but Acura states that this is unrelated to the cracking of the dashboard on the 2004 Acura TL's.

- Bellerose Manor, NY, USA

May 072014

A small crack developed on the dashboard on left side of the airbag. Over time, the crack has grown and another crack has developed on the right side along the airbag. Both cracks are of equal length running from the top of the dashboard down past the airbag.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 062014

TL 6-cyl

The dash just always had a line in it. It looked as if it is where the airbag is. And now it just started to crack. I'm just not sure if it is a safety hazard or not and if the airbag will still work.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Jun 172014

• 1,333,000 miles

Dashboard cracked on passenger airbag and know has started cracking all over dashboard in a matter of a day, Acura should be responsible for this as this car has been maintained by Acura for the life of the product.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 152014

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard developed 9 cracks in one day. Several cracks run across the passengers side air bag. May be a safety issue along with defective parts.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

May 152014

TL 6-cyl

Walked out to my car one morning and found my dash to be cracked. A big crack in the center. The car is a 2004 model, but I owned a 1984 car and the dash never cracked. There are a lot of the same complaints online with the same model of car and year. This is a manufacture defect and needs to be recalled.

- Charlottesville , VA, USA

May 112014

While I was driving, I heard a buzzing noise. I turned to my passenger side to realize my dashboard airbag was cracking! this needs to be recalled!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 302013

TL 6-cyl

Within a 24-hour period, numerous cracks appeared on the top of the dashboard. Most noticeable are two cracks that outline the portion of the dash that covers the passenger side air bag. My concern is that this condition will affect the operation of the airbag and its deployment when activated in a crash. This condition could be a danger to the passenger.

- Seabrook, TX, USA

Feb 122014

TL 6-cyl

We purchased an Acura TL in 2013 as a third owner. We love the car and is always garage kept. However, one day suddenly cracks starting appearing along the dashboard on the passengers side. Also, the cracks propagated along the driver's side too. When I checked online, I wasn't the only one with this issue. There are several hundreds of people with this issue. I called Acura and they did not take responsibility for a defective part. I have a master's degree in manufacturing systems engineering from university of Kentucky and a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I work with plastic & steel components with design and manufacturing day in day out. I can tell you confidently that it is a 'defective' plastic part. It's not about the money for me, it's the safety concern I have. In case of an accident, I do anticipate the dashboard plastic chips acting as a shrapnel and causing injury to the passenger/driver. I really wish you could do something about this. Appreciate your help. Regards

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 052011

TL 6-cyl

Airbags are about to blow thru the dash. The airbag light stays on most of the time and the dash is cracking really bad around the dash. The crack started just around the airbag cracking the perfect shape of the airbag. Now it is cracking all around the airbag. Seems as tho the airbags could come out at any time.

- Otto, NC, USA

Apr 012013

TL 6-cyl

We purchased a 2004 Acura TL from a local owner. After we purchased the car, the dashboard started cracking everywhere! there are probably over 15 cracks in the dashboard. I called Acura & they told me I wasn't a loyal customer & the car is too old! they said it would be around $1700 to replace the dashboard & they would charge me $1300!!! very nice of them, right! wrong!!!! I sent a letter to the vice president of Acura along with many other people to the headquarters. There response was still the same! I also sent them pictures of the cracked dashboard & it just keep getting worse. Who else can we file complaints with? my 2005 Acura TL dashboard cracked as well but they replaced it free of charge saying they hoped to earn my business. When my 2005 Acura TL paint faded al over the car, they would not touch it! they said it was because I lived in North Carolina!! and, I wasn't a loyal customer because I have only owned 3 Acura!!!

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Mar 172014

TL 6-cyl

The dash has begun to crack and I fear it is going to weaken the dash where my air bags are located, resulting in a deployment.

- Black Mountain , NC, USA

Jun 252009

TL 6-cyl

Dash board driver to passenger side many large long cracks. Acura TL owners get no response from Acura motor company on this defect.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Dec 032012

TL 6-cyl

Crack on dashboard on passenger side airbag. There has been no accident. Dealer will not fix it as there is no warranty left.

- Graham, NC, USA

Nov 152011

The dashboard of my car started cracking around November of 2011, it is now completely covered in large cracks, including one right over the center of the passenger side air bag. My main concern is the fact that the dash is obviously not structurally sound, therefore in the event that the passenger airbag deploys pieces of dash will become sharp projectiles flying through the car.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Nov 012013

TL 6-cyl

I found a crack on the dash on the driver's side coming front to back approx 18 inches and then spreading sideways for over 2ft. I called Acura and they say its not covered because its considered wear and tear and that it'd cost approx $2000 to fix. Other people have complained and there's forums of people with the same model and year with the same defect at and

- Minot, ND, USA

Apr 012012

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard is cracking on its own, not due to normal wear and tear. Cracks are over the passenger side airbag and other parts of dashboard.

- Oviedo, FL, USA