NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 6 of 7)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Jan 112012

TL

Rear ended a vehicle going 50mph, driver airbag did not deploy. Passenger airbag deployed

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Dec 282011

TL 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Acura TL dash that has very large cracks over the passenger airbag and is cracked in 3 more places over the drivers steering column. This seems to be a very common problem that many 2004 Acura owners are facing. Acura customer relations says to see the dealer for a resolution and from what I'm reading online it seems that the dealer wants no part in fixing or warranting this part. I will investigate this issue and report back to Acura to see if they will cover this 2000 dollar part that should be recalled on that model year. Acura should do something about this. Accepting responsibility for this known issue would be a good place to start.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Oct 242011

TL 6-cyl

I recently discovered a huge gash on my 04 Acura TL's dashboard. I am worried that this crack will cause an airbag failure or even result in deploying prematurely. It is located all the way from the steering wheel to the windshield with an additional crack towards the middle. As the crack has expanded within the past week, I have found that just above the center console, the airbag has been pushed to the side, causing the airbag to bubble up in the center. I called Acura and was told that they give discounts on the product because it should never happen and because it wasn't my fault, just a faulty product that has been discovered in several other states. I talked to the district manager of gunn Acura in sa, tx about the issue and was told that since I haven't used Acura's service department as much as they like (pretty much saying that I haven't given them enough money), they would give me only a 15% discount when I was told to expect around 75%. my car is out of warranty but I don't see how that would matter if it was bound to happen anyway. I don't understand why this defect isn't a recall. The district manager told me that if anything, the airbag would come out faster if needed since there is already a crack to open it up. But that might not be a good thing, especially when it is pushed out of the way and how the airbag doesn't come out of the dashboard. When I spoke to the district manager, the first thing I was told was that the offer is staying the same, no matter what. He checked his notes and decided a price before even consulting me or asking questions. He was set on a rate before he even spoke with me. The price hasn't changed and I am expected to pay for a $2000 dashboard with a 15% discount. My main concern is that the airbag will deploy any day now for no reason. It is getting to the point where I am actually scared to drive my car because of this issue.

- Castroville, TX, USA

Sep 232011

TL 6-cyl

I have a Acura TL 2004 which the dash board has crack in top of the air bags, the deal said that the warranty does not cover that, and I have several friend that have a Acura that have that same issue, so I well like to know if the deal is responsible for this. Which I have an extended warranty. Thank'

- San Juan, PR, USA

Oct 032011

TL 6-cyl

I purchased my 2004 Acura TL in October of 2008. Recently, I've noticed the dashboard cracking. After bringing it to the attention of the dealership, they told me it was not covered under my warranty. As I search for information online, it seems to be a common problem with other 2004 models. I have asked if the air bags are safe and the person at the dealership gave me a chuckle and said "...of course".

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 162011

TL

12-15" cracks have developed over the entire dashboard causing the air bag malfunction light on the dash to illuminate--thereby indicating a problem with the air bag. This is clearly due to the problematic cracks over the entire surface of the dashboard, including both the driver side and passenger side. Going over a pot hole or severe bump could cause the air bag to inflate and possibly cause an accident or injury to the front passenger. The 2004 Acura dashboard obviously is defective and should be replaced by Acura and further, investigated for potential accidental discharge of the passenger air bag.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Sep 122011

TL

The dashboard has started to crack on the passenger side of the air bag and is getting worse. I believe is a safety issue. The air bags didn't fail yet but concerned with the crack. I believe Acura should pay to replace.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Sep 162011

TL

My 2004 Acura TL had developed a major crack on passenger side of dashboard along the passenger air bag. I have found that this is a common problem on Acura TL's, and is not being addressed as a recall or safety concern by Acura/Honda. The cost of repair is huge and I don't think customer should pay for the material defect by the manufacturer. The crack is right along the passenger air bag and this is a safety concern for me.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Sep 012011

TL 6-cyl

Dash pad cracking around passenger side air bag.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Sep 022011

TL 6-cyl

Major crack has developed on passenger side of dash board along the passenger air bag and air bag safety light is coming on and off sporadically on dash board. This is a huge safety concern for me. I have found that this is common problem on Acura TL's, and is not being addressed as a recall or safety concern by Acura/Honda. The cost of repair is huge, and for a car costing as much as this one cost, it is completely unacceptable for such pre-mature failure.

- Dade City, FL, USA

Oct 012010

TL

My 2004 Acura TL has developed significant cracks in the dashboard, particularly around the area of the passenger side airbag. These appeared about a year ago and overnight became about 14 inches across in the side area of the dash. I am concerned airbags will deploy or may further cause harm in the event of an accident because of debris from the cracked areas. Also the airbag lights goes on intermittently which do not let know if it will work property. I have read in different forums that this is a generalized problem with 2004-2005 TL and Acura has not acknowledged to consider this a safety issue for a recall.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Aug 172011

TL

I have noticed a large crack in my passenger-side front dash board. There is an outline of a rectangle over the airbag and there is one crack that has actually opened the dash board. I am scared this crack is going to cause the airbag to deploy at anytime or maybe cause it not to deploy when needed. I am also scared that parts of the dashboard will fly off if the airbag is deployed, due to this crack.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Jul 012011

TL 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura TL has a crack in the dashboard on the passenger side. I have owned the vehicle since 2007 and take very good care of it. I couldn't believe how many other Acura owners have this same problem. How could it be "coincidental"...sounds like a defect that Acura is ignoring. Am concerned about the safety of the airbag.

- Carolina Beach, NC, USA

Jun 142011

TL

Dashboard cracking severely around airbag sites. Worried that this could be a dangerous safety hazard to my passengers and or myself

- Douglass, KS, USA

Sep 012010

TL

2004 Acura TL dash has been cracking to pieces from the left and right side.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 072008

TL

2004 Acura TL crack on dashboard. Began to form along the border of the passenger airbag. Airbag outline is clearly visible on dashboard now. Poorly constructed dash. Airbag proper deployment risk.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Oct 202010

TL

04 Acura TL 73000 miles has cracks around the passenger airbag. Cracks have since spread over the entire dash. The SRS light stays on all the time since the cracks started.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Jan 162010

TL

Cracks on my R side of dash to R side of air bag noticed at about 100,000 miles and cracks have split all the way down.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Nov 102009

TL

On the dashboard there is a crack at the place where the air bag is suppose to deploy. The crack was not cause by impact nor by the sum.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 012009

TL

1. spontaneous cracks in the dash around the passenger air bag unit. 2. air bag warning light on 3. spontaneous crack in dash near steering column.

- Gainesville, FL, USA