NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 6 of 6)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Sep 232011

TL 6-cyl

I have a Acura TL 2004 which the dash board has crack in top of the air bags, the deal said that the warranty does not cover that, and I have several friend that have a Acura that have that same issue, so I well like to know if the deal is responsible for this. Which I have an extended warranty. Thank'

- San Juan, PR, USA

Oct 032011

TL 6-cyl

I purchased my 2004 Acura TL in October of 2008. Recently, I've noticed the dashboard cracking. After bringing it to the attention of the dealership, they told me it was not covered under my warranty. As I search for information online, it seems to be a common problem with other 2004 models. I have asked if the air bags are safe and the person at the dealership gave me a chuckle and said "...of course".

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 162011

12-15" cracks have developed over the entire dashboard causing the air bag malfunction light on the dash to illuminate--thereby indicating a problem with the air bag. This is clearly due to the problematic cracks over the entire surface of the dashboard, including both the driver side and passenger side. Going over a pot hole or severe bump could cause the air bag to inflate and possibly cause an accident or injury to the front passenger. The 2004 Acura dashboard obviously is defective and should be replaced by Acura and further, investigated for potential accidental discharge of the passenger air bag.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Sep 122011

The dashboard has started to crack on the passenger side of the air bag and is getting worse. I believe is a safety issue. The air bags didn't fail yet but concerned with the crack. I believe Acura should pay to replace.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Sep 162011

My 2004 Acura TL had developed a major crack on passenger side of dashboard along the passenger air bag. I have found that this is a common problem on Acura TL's, and is not being addressed as a recall or safety concern by Acura/Honda. The cost of repair is huge and I don't think customer should pay for the material defect by the manufacturer. The crack is right along the passenger air bag and this is a safety concern for me.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Sep 012011

TL 6-cyl

Dash pad cracking around passenger side air bag.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Sep 022011

TL 6-cyl

Major crack has developed on passenger side of dash board along the passenger air bag and air bag safety light is coming on and off sporadically on dash board. This is a huge safety concern for me. I have found that this is common problem on Acura TL's, and is not being addressed as a recall or safety concern by Acura/Honda. The cost of repair is huge, and for a car costing as much as this one cost, it is completely unacceptable for such pre-mature failure.

- Dade City, FL, USA

Oct 012010

My 2004 Acura TL has developed significant cracks in the dashboard, particularly around the area of the passenger side airbag. These appeared about a year ago and overnight became about 14 inches across in the side area of the dash. I am concerned airbags will deploy or may further cause harm in the event of an accident because of debris from the cracked areas. Also the airbag lights goes on intermittently which do not let know if it will work property. I have read in different forums that this is a generalized problem with 2004-2005 TL and Acura has not acknowledged to consider this a safety issue for a recall.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Aug 172011

I have noticed a large crack in my passenger-side front dash board. There is an outline of a rectangle over the airbag and there is one crack that has actually opened the dash board. I am scared this crack is going to cause the airbag to deploy at anytime or maybe cause it not to deploy when needed. I am also scared that parts of the dashboard will fly off if the airbag is deployed, due to this crack.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Jul 012011

TL 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura TL has a crack in the dashboard on the passenger side. I have owned the vehicle since 2007 and take very good care of it. I couldn't believe how many other Acura owners have this same problem. How could it be "coincidental"...sounds like a defect that Acura is ignoring. Am concerned about the safety of the airbag.

- Carolina Beach, NC, USA

Jun 142011

Dashboard cracking severely around airbag sites. Worried that this could be a dangerous safety hazard to my passengers and or myself

- Douglass, KS, USA

Sep 012010

2004 Acura TL dash has been cracking to pieces from the left and right side.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 072008

2004 Acura TL crack on dashboard. Began to form along the border of the passenger airbag. Airbag outline is clearly visible on dashboard now. Poorly constructed dash. Airbag proper deployment risk.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Oct 202010

04 Acura TL 73000 miles has cracks around the passenger airbag. Cracks have since spread over the entire dash. The SRS light stays on all the time since the cracks started.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Jan 162010

Cracks on my R side of dash to R side of air bag noticed at about 100,000 miles and cracks have split all the way down.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Nov 102009

On the dashboard there is a crack at the place where the air bag is suppose to deploy. The crack was not cause by impact nor by the sum.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 012009

1. spontaneous cracks in the dash around the passenger air bag unit. 2. air bag warning light on 3. spontaneous crack in dash near steering column.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 012005

This is a near miss problem. We own an Acura TL 2004. It has terrible blind spots. I think that the problem arises because the bars with the air bags in them are so wide that they can hide an entire car. We have had to add develop extra mechanisms to anticipate possible vehicles, and I feel much less safe driving this car than any other car I have ever driven. Also, the HVAC system is so complex that it is virtually impossible to manage it while driving. I hope you will start to look to see if you see a higher incidence of problems with the Acura's or other vehicles with broad air bag holders and complicated heating and ac systems.

- Concord, MA, USA